Unresponsive stock remote when eiri enabled with EIRI='ON'

Have a question about devices internals, memory layout, reverse engineering, etc---This is the place for anything so technical that it would cause a n00b's head to 'splode

Re: Unresponsive stock remote when eiri enabled with EIRI='O   

Postby mad_ady » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:21 am

You can get a root.bin or an ext3 version of the firmware, boot it and replace the irkernel.ko with the one provided here. Reboot afterwards and you should be running the new code. I will release a new firmware as soon as possible, but I want to test something else before the release and I haven't had time. Anyway, feedback is welcome!
mad_ady
Developer

Postby allidea » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:48 am

Hm, seems like I will need some additional help. I've booted non-flash firmware and replaced irkernel.ko in /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4-orig/kernel/drivers/char with patched one (16kb - 1kb larger than original one). But when I reboot wdtv and go to /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4-orig/kernel/drivers/char old irkernel.ko is there (15kb). What is going on, am I missing something?
Have a problem? Visit Tweak Master's House Of Useful Tricks.
Ad 1) I tend to find a solution by myself just after I submit a new post asking others to do it for me.
Ad 2) Proud to be *nix n00b - not because I prefer m$, rather I'm trying to get better at it!
allidea
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:36 am

Right. According to init:
Code: Select all
mkdir -p /tmp/.root/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4                                                                                                                                                                                   
cd /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4-orig/                                                                                                                                                                                             
for i in `find .` ; do                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    bn=`basename "$i"`                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    if [ -f $i -a "${bn#*.}" == "ko" ] ; then                                                                                                                                                                                     
        mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4/`dirname $i`                                                                                                                                                                         
        ln -sf /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4-orig/$i /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4/`dirname $i`                                                                                                                                       
    fi                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
done   

So it should be copied over if it's a file and ends with ko. You can try deleting the one in char and putting the file directly in *-orig.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby allidea » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:16 pm

mad_ady wrote:Right. According to init:
Code: Select all
mkdir -p /tmp/.root/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4                                                                                                                                                                                   
cd /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4-orig/                                                                                                                                                                                             
for i in `find .` ; do                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    bn=`basename "$i"`                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    if [ -f $i -a "${bn#*.}" == "ko" ] ; then                                                                                                                                                                                     
        mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4/`dirname $i`                                                                                                                                                                         
        ln -sf /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4-orig/$i /lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4/`dirname $i`                                                                                                                                       
    fi                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
done   

So it should be copied over if it's a file and ends with ko. You can try deleting the one in char and putting the file directly in *-orig.

OK, I think I've got where I'm wrong. Can I use non-flash fw to change irkernel.ko in flashed fw? I guess not and this is where I went wrong ...
Ad 1) I tend to find a solution by myself just after I submit a new post asking others to do it for me.
Ad 2) Proud to be *nix n00b - not because I prefer m$, rather I'm trying to get better at it!
allidea
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:10 pm

No, you can make changes only in non-flashed firmware. The flashed one has a read-only filesystem
mad_ady
Developer

Postby allidea » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:45 am

Here is my quick test feedback - patched irkernel.ko seems to be working just fine - both remotes are working (UP and DOWN buttons on original WDTV remote are working along with other remote). I haven't had time to do in depth testing but my guess is if up and down buttons work all other should work as well.

Since we are already talking about EIRI - can you please post original untouched eiri.conf file. Seems like I've managed to delete it :o somehow long time ago while I was experimenting with it ... Thanks.
allidea
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:22 am

Glad to hear it works. I hope I can find the time I need in the next month to make my final experiements and release an updated firmware. The original eiri.conf can be found via svn: http://svn.wdlxtv.com/filedetails.php?repname=1.05.04-wdlxtv&path=%2Flive%2Ftrunk%2Fetc%2Feiri.conf
mad_ady
Developer

Postby allidea » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:00 pm

I was glad I could help especially with EIRI issue as it bothered me as well and forced me to simultaneously use two remotes (I've considered purchasing Logitech universal remote, but huh they are everything but cheap). I have attached scripts to turn on/off front LEDs' depending if media is playing or not but my second (cheap China made) remote doesn't have all the buttons I need so I have to stick with original one too.
This LED trick worked in 1.02 fw but somehow got lost in 1.05. Speaking of 1.02 it had/has several feature advantages over 1.05 but latter is much faster (at least for me) so I really look forward to any new firmware release. Even more WDTV Live is in terms of nowadays technology quite "old" but is still working like a charm. So please don't give up a good work. I would help myself if I only had better knowledge of *nix. And I still need to learn how to use moviesheets feature after 5 years of owing it. :!: :?: :idea:
allidea
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:42 am

It's never too late to learn new tricks :) And, unfortunately, lack of H265 support will be the final nail in WDTV's coffin. Other than that, i expect it to run for another 5 years :)
mad_ady
Developer

Previous

Return to WDTV Live