WDTV Live not recognizing a hard drive (no flashing frt lmp)

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

WDTV Live not recognizing a hard drive (no flashing frt lmp)   

Postby ArmyChief » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:53 pm

I would like to BEG for some help. based off my research my issue is not uncommon. I figure if any one can identify an fix..this is the board with the know-how to do it.

It appears that if you sneeze (joke) or disconnect a hard drive improperly, that a bit on the drive can get corrupted and cause the WDTV device to stop recognizing the drive in the future. Some have said if you plug the drive into a PC and then do an safe eject..if fixes it.

Well, I have two drive that I've had working with my 4 WDTV Live devices for over a year. Just recently, my wife hit the table while the drive was on and it fell to the floor and disconnected from the WDTV device. Now that drive will not work with any of my WDTV devices. It works fine on a PC. Passes all chkdsk and Norton Disk Doctor test. I've even run it through HHRegenerator & SpinRite...nothing. I have another drive that just stopped working with the WDTV device...works fine on PC and passes all testing.

Can someone PLEASE figure out WHAT the WDTV needs to see that it is NOT seeing? Maybe write a small program to run on a drive to correct whatever bit is corrupt

I really need to fix these drives. I would try a Roku or another media player..however I like the WDTV's the best..since they support more formats.

Thanks in advance
ArmyChief
n00b

Re: WDTV Live not recognizing a hard drive (no flashing frt    

Postby ArmyChief » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:21 pm

Nobody? :o
ArmyChief
n00b

Postby RavRob » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:21 pm

You do have the fix but just to make sure you are not forgetting something (could be you just didn't type the whole command). When running chkdsk, you just include the chkdsk /f to fix the problems if found.

Other than this, you have said it all and I certainly can't think of anything else to fix theses.

If still won't work, maybe move your data to your PC's HDD or another portable HDD and reformat the bad ones.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television
RavRob
Supporter

Postby ArmyChief » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:46 am

RavRob,

Under Windows 7, chkdsk has a checkbox to allow fix. I've done this.
What I was hoping is someone with the knowledge of the WD software or hardware could advise what the WD was looking for that apparently a PC doesn't care.

Thanks
ArmyChief
n00b

Postby RavRob » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:13 am

That check box could be the problem. Run it from the command line, this way you will have to correct command with the /f to fix the problems.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television
RavRob
Supporter

Postby ArmyChief » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:43 am

Will advise...if not..I have another same drive..was going to do a disk editor compare and start playing with bytes until I find the one(s)...damnit :)
ArmyChief
n00b

Postby altay1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:40 am

hi,
similar issue here..
1.05.04_V-WDLXTV-Live-0.5.1.1
2TB WD powered drive..
was working fine.. become slower and slower lately.. and now, not recognized by wdlxtv anymore.
drive still recognized and works with pc.. another usb stick works with wdlxtv..
already deleted the .wdtv folder.. replaced the wdlxtv files in the root folder..
anyone have an idea? is this the time for a new external drive?
altay1
n00b

Postby recliq » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:32 am

most liekely the drive is marked as dirty, so WDTV doesn't mount it, run chkdsk from windows.
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby altay1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:50 am

already done that.
checked the box 'automatically fix system errors' first, it found some errors, then another run, it said the drive is healthy.
then checked the box 'scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' as well, it processed up to 72 files, it closed with no message.

crystaldiskinfo said 'caution'.. though it said caution to my pc's hard drive 'last year', still working..

now, i have installed wd data lifeguard diagnostics tool. smart status is OK. now, i'm running an extended test. though i'm afraid it will take ages..
altay1
n00b

Postby altay1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:58 am

is this normal ?! it's stuck on sector 28927..

edit: moved on to 33023..

(Q: i rarely run these kind of tests, and my first time on a 2TB drive.. how long this should take?)

altay1
n00b

Next

Return to n00b central