here are my impressions of the WDflix consolidation of icefilms since there have been massive changes from it being stand alone.
*17th champion scatterbrain edit. let me just preface this all by saying i never knew about this level of content delivery prior to owning my wdtv so it's very exciting, i've always just used usenet/torrents so that's why i'm charged. anyways browsing the icefilms forum i've noticed the alleged proprietors of 180upload/billionuploads request icefilm to change their script so users can see advertisements and they can make money or stop uploading all together, fortunately they did change and it appears all parties are satisfied with the outcome for the time being. that is why i lay most my in the moment faith with those providers, and fortunately we do not have to see those ads viewing through our tv sets.
1. 180upload is now the best source to use, always try it first, they've removed download access in place of higher quality stream capabilities via server upgrades including full 1080p from my experience. if no 180upload exists try for billionuploads as it's also quick. upload orb can also work at certain times of the day but it still seems stuck in the cottage server stage as opposed to progressing like 180/billion are trying, but all this could be attributed to your geolocation and since i'm in west coast ca on 30mb/s cable perhaps i'm just too far off their sweet spot. i've also been able to fully ffwd/rewind pause and start with 180/billion without suffering lag afterwards, but that may only be because of good fortune or strong connectivity between me and their servers.
2. vidhog is a flakey host and the purest example of cottage hosting, i expect them to abandon these files soon or even the hosting project as a whole, sometimes it will properly proceed through the wait period to a play now screen, others it will stall out to a network connection problem screen and sometimes an error fetching url screen, their hosting is quite putrid and the reason you will experience errors is on the server side and not because of nonames plugin. it has bad to ok streaming capabilities for me generally falling in the bad since most films are pure lag so i prefer the other 3 mentioned above at this point, but it may work better for others so you need to test yourself. sharebees on the other hand has never worked and i doubt it ever will, if you visit the website it's a mess to navigate in my opinion and has a strange staggered waiting period, if noname finds a fix for sharebees network connection error timeout then it may become viable but i haven't got it to work once.
3. 2shared works for me with a lot of the older movies and streams with no buffer but have apparently changed their allowed upload file size limit so it is no longer used regularly. don't even bother with rapidshare links, they reduced their bandwidth to worthless levels, worst webhost in history no doubt which is why they're still around.
4. jumbofiles and maybe one other server displays 'no processor' in the server listings if noname wanted to look into it, but even then i'm not sure about their streaming quality.
5. while the recently added folders are nice it would be great to have a sorted by date folder in the movies directory which is available on icefilms (movies/added/1) since a lot of the new movies get lost in the mess of newly added television.
6. pie in the sky wish, having a latency test for the available servers like noobroom has. if you get below 80ms on noobroom chances are you'll be able to stream the movie from start to finish. since icefilms is using the full avi/mp4 source files you will probably need at least 200kb/s to have a solid stream.
7. i strongly recommend using the stop button to exit out of your video, if it is lagging or you want to stop watching or you've finished watching every and any time i've pressed the back button on my remote it seems to exacerbate errors mentioned above directly afterwards. whenever i use stop only i seamlessly move around the menus and starting new videos. that includes if your server isn't loading try to let it finish by timing out to a network error screen before pressing back. this could be placebo but it seems to work for me.
great touch on the imdb/year/date and hd/sd quality listings for everything, i think back to the few months ago i bought this machine and realize what a score it is versus a boxee at three times the cost for similar features. best plugin by far and hopefully i can add some more feedback from my experiences with icefilms and share my navi-x experiences next, contrary to what others have said i really haven't found the plugin/wdtv to be at fault but rather the hosts and now that a few have fixed their end we see how things can work properly in a post MU era and i should note all these opinions are based on using 1.05.04_V-WDLXTV-Live-0.5.1.1 [flash]. i will post again with similar thoughts on navi-x although i'm not sure how much you can really change in there but perhaps just as a guideline if anyone else cares.
Last edited by brotato
on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 17 times in total.