XBMC style movie sheets

Feature Requests and Proposals for inclusion into WDLXTV-Live

Re: XBMC style movie sheets   

Postby thumbgen » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:14 am

robinio wrote:And about requests (becouse this is the thread) in general; I think all we don't have to invent any new stuff here. Becouse WDTVLIVE is not first product on market all we need is to check what (older) competition has to offer. And if we like it, maybe implement.

What about the hardware requirements?

I would like to request to Electronic Arts that Battlefield: Bad Company runs on my netbook (as I take it with me in my trips and I want to enjoy the payed game). Why should I "reinvent the wheel" and play Solitaire on my netbook?
Get ThumbGen!
If you like ThumbGen then buy me a coffee Image
thumbgen
Developer

Postby Jimble » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:51 am

I don't really think movie sheets takes much time anyway.., once you are past the set up stage doing sheets for your collection. to add a new movie and generate a sheet takes a matter of minutes.

Load up thumbgen > navigate to movie > process > check all is in place, correct details pics i like etc > generate sheet. Job done...

And I have to say I wasn't really that impressed with the look of that demo you posted... It was a bit dull. Some of the templates that have been designed by the users here are much more appealing! OK there isn't any animated transitions but i'm not sure if this is even possible with the hardware in the box.
Jimble
Donor

Postby recliq » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:58 am

Before you continue to speculate when XBMC for wdtv arrives and why nobody implements moviesheets the online way...
Please have a look at this post and read it till the end... XBMC on Sigma 8635
As for the moviesheets i already stated it's possible (in fact already implemented). Contact rezmus and try to buy the plug or find someone else implementing it. Least way if you want something that isn't there (yet): DIY (Do It Yourself)

How do you think most of us became developers? Right, we wanted something that wasn't there and started to do it ourselves.

When WDTVExt was released for WDTV Live i had not written a single line of javascript in my live so far (in fact i hated java and javascript). But when i saw that nobody started writing a wdtvext version of moviesheets, i just started and did it and now it's part of the firmware :shock:

This all is done in our free time, i guess most of us have real jobs and real lives beside the wdtv development. It's a hobby, so we try to do (and implement) the things we like and are interested in or think they are usefull for most ppl and not what a minor group of users requests (online moviesheets was already requested by some ppl but most users seem to be quite happy with current moviesheets, including myself).

greetz,
recliq
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby robinio » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:12 am

thumbgen wrote:
robinio wrote:And about requests (becouse this is the thread) in general; I think all we don't have to invent any new stuff here. Becouse WDTVLIVE is not first product on market all we need is to check what (older) competition has to offer. And if we like it, maybe implement.

What about the hardware requirements?

I would like to request to Electronic Arts that Battlefield: Bad Company runs on my netbook (as I take it with me in my trips and I want to enjoy the payed game). Why should I "reinvent the wheel" and play Solitaire on my netbook?

I don't know, you tell me. Do you think XBMC is too big for WDTV? And after all I don't want to port XBMC, just the way it handles moviesheets.
robinio
n00b

Postby robinio » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:15 am

recliq wrote:Before you continue to speculate when XBMC for wdtv arrives and why nobody implements moviesheets the online way...
Please have a look at this post and read it till the end... XBMC on Sigma 8635
As for the moviesheets i already stated it's possible (in fact already implemented). Contact rezmus and try to buy the plug or find someone else implementing it. Least way if you want something that isn't there (yet): DIY (Do It Yourself)

How do you think most of us became developers? Right, we wanted something that wasn't there and started to do it ourselves.

When WDTVExt was released for WDTV Live i had not written a single line of javascript in my live so far (in fact i hated java and javascript). But when i saw that nobody started writing a wdtvext version of moviesheets, i just started and did it and now it's part of the firmware :shock:

This all is done in our free time, i guess most of us have real jobs and real lives beside the wdtv development. It's a hobby, so we try to do (and implement) the things we like and are interested in or think they are usefull for most ppl and not what a minor group of users requests (online moviesheets was already requested by some ppl but most users seem to be quite happy with current moviesheets, including myself).

greetz,
recliq

Nice link! Thank you very much for this!

Best regards,
Robert
robinio
n00b

Postby robinio » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:18 am

thumbgen wrote:For the WDTV users the choice was (is) simple: nothing or sheets.
Steer your donations to the Xbmc authors. Maybe they will port Xbmc on the WDTV. It seems the developers around here are not able (or not willing) to do it :)

What is the offline mode in Xbmc? How I use it with my WDTV that is in the bedroom without internet connection? Do I have to connect that HDD to my PC and then via internet update my collection? Isn't it the same as we are doing here by creating the sheets?

Well I never had to use it offline. If movie wasn't found automatically I altered title or year of release until it was found. It could also happen that it wasn't found but, after few attempts I left so. Never had the time to bother with those exceptions. So either I found it in few seconds or I simply left it 'unfound' without sheet or poster or whatever you call it. Important is I only spent few seconds on this task!

I think XBMC's moviesheets is definetely not for you becouse you cannot use it in bedroom without internet connection. Even if I somehow doubt that any WDLXTV live user use this device (even in bedroom) without internet connection. And even if do, that dosen users could use 'your' sheets then. :D

I put this request in right thread but have noticed, that somehow you feel attacked and must defend your 'nothing or sheets' way. I just tryed to say that there is whole new world out there with other (good!) devices we must to take into consider and not try to live in behind the curtains (or sheets :) ). Request still may be good, even if you cannot use it in your bedroom, and I just wan't WDLXTV (or any other WDTV firmware) would make my little cheap WDTVLIVE look like other big expencier devices. And this firmware is very good in going this way, even if not taking every request into consider ;-).
robinio
n00b

Postby recliq » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:21 am

I put this request in right thread but have noticed, that somehow you feel attacked and must defend your 'nothing or sheets' way.

You really don't get it, do you? :evil:
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby thumbgen » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:36 am

Even if I would not have an internet connection at home I could build my sheets at work (they could be generated unattended over the night there and then I simply connect my HDD to the WDTV) ;)

What u seem not to understand is that it seems nobody is willing to spent a huge amount of time to implement something for the WDTV. Also you assumed straight from the beginning that the online solution is the best. And this is arguable. Even the title of the topic is a bit wrong: Xbmc is not just moviesheets, it is a full GUI concept. Our sheets here are a very simple way to see some extra info when browsing movies. They are not even a jukebox.

Other players are trying to implement solutions based on RSS but they are very slow. And it seem at this moment the hardware inside WDTV is a bit too weak to be able to render in few seconds a complex sheet that look like "my" sheets. XBMC is maybe nice to use when the hardware running it "helps" you a bit.

Nobody is defending the sheets here but you refuse to understand that what you want is not easy to be achieved.

Online/offline scraping/rendering have both pros and cons. We should also not forget that spending a big amount of time to develop something "strictly" for a device is a waste of time as in max 6 months the device will be obsolete. Look at b-rad's volume of work to keep track of all wdtv variations at this time. Let's say we implement something now and in 2 months a new FW comes that locks that up. Wasted time...

It is very good that you opened the request here and I really hope somebody will kick-in and implement it for you. I will be glad to "backup" that online solution with my "offline" sheets (I already did it for the Xtreamer xJukebox ;) ).
Get ThumbGen!
If you like ThumbGen then buy me a coffee Image
thumbgen
Developer

Postby robinio » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:56 am

thumbgen wrote:Even if I would not have an internet connection at home I could build my sheets at work (they could be generated unattended over the night there and then I simply connect my HDD to the WDTV) ;)

What u seem not to understand is that it seems nobody is willing to spent a huge amount of time to implement something for the WDTV. Also you assumed straight from the beginning that the online solution is the best. And this is arguable. Even the title of the topic is a bit wrong: Xbmc is not just moviesheets, it is a full GUI concept. Our sheets here are a very simple way to see some extra info when browsing movies. They are not even a jukebox.

Other players are trying to implement solutions based on RSS but they are very slow. And it seem at this moment the hardware inside WDTV is a bit too weak to be able to render in few seconds a complex sheet that look like "my" sheets. XBMC is maybe nice to use when the hardware running it "helps" you a bit.

Nobody is defending the sheets here but you refuse to understand that what you want is not easy to be achieved.

Online/offline scraping/rendering have both pros and cons. We should also not forget that spending a big amount of time to develop something "strictly" for a device is a waste of time as in max 6 months the device will be obsolete. Look at b-rad's volume of work to keep track of all wdtv variations at this time. Let's say we implement something now and in 2 months a new FW comes that locks that up. Wasted time...

It is very good that you opened the request here and I really hope somebody will kick-in and implement it for you. I will be glad to "backup" that online solution with my "offline" sheets (I already did it for the Xtreamer xJukebox ;) ).

Well, I do understand that there are very slim (read: none :) ) chance to see this in my WD, but just had to make this request.

Would be easier if I didn't use other player before. Downloading thumbgen as we speak. :D
robinio
n00b

Postby extremedigital » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi Robinio, dont take this the wrong way nobody is 'defending' the wdlxtv way to do moviesheets it is currently the only way to do moviesheets...

Ask anyone especially Thumbgen i was/am still a massive fan of xbmc, in fact i also have boxee installed on my main pc...

Basically wayyyy back we all got into the wdtv the spectre of why can the wdtv not be more like xbmc kept on rearing its head...as in alot of us started with the first gen wdtv box....... :)

What you have to realise is that you have to work within the confines of what is techincally possible and once you do so then it is easier to understand why people have said 'you don't get it' :?

In actuality what you can do is create moviesheets exactly the way you want them to be viewed, i totally understand about the ease of online updating however once done it means that your movie info is available to you in both in online or offline mode .....

Let me say whilst i am a massive fan of xbmc i have always created my nfo and fanart offline as i wanted full control..that is exactly why software like media companion by billyad2000 exists....however i now use Thumbgen to create both my wdtv moviesheet as well as my xbmc fanart......

Whilst we may not be lucky enough to have animated menu's on the wdtv i actually prefer the way i have set up my wdtv than my xbmc system :o

So i would suggest rather than trying to reinvent the wheel if it ain't broke don't try and fix it....just join the bandwagon generate some moviesheets yourself stick a osd mod like psycho's and enjoy your wdtv just that little bit more....yes it takes a little effort but in the end it is all worth it

Hope that helps and no hard feelings after all we are all here to help each other

Ps whilst i have both xbmc and boxee and various other boxes including a azbox linux satellite receiver that can stream/play from my network, i hadly ever use them to actually play movies :o i always use the wdtv :geek:
extremedigital
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Requests