[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4326: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4328: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4329: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4330: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Unresponsive stock remote when eiri enabled with EIRI='ON'

Have a question about devices internals, memory layout, reverse engineering, etc---This is the place for anything so technical that it would cause a n00b's head to 'splode

Postby serpens » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:26 am

serpens
n00b

Re: Unresponsive stock remote when eiri enabled with EIRI='O   

Postby mad_ady » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:45 am

You know, most first time poster either complain that their moviesheets don't work, or try to sell us fake watches. You, sir, are a breath of fresh air!

Excellent analysis, and I'm glad you have a proposed workaround. I can help you implement it and push a newer firmware.

However, despite my large post counter, I don't have experience with eiri or other remotes and I'll need your help to do most of the work.

Can you try to flash the 1.05 - 0.5.2.2 firmware with 1.03's kernel (for Live?) I wonder if it works out of the box without losing any features (maybe large disks?).

Plan b is to replace irkernel. Which for my is compiled as a module. You can build modules for the WDTV and they should load just fine, the problem is you need an old Linux distro (something like Ubuntu 8.04?) to be able to do the cross-compilation. I will ask recliq for help with this cross-compilation (he had an old environment lying around). Can you prepare a diff that would go into the irkernel.c file so that we can try it?

Also, here's a plan C. Can you try to get irkernel (/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4-orig/irkernel.ko) from 1.02 base and load it into 1.05 kernel? You should be able to use an Ext3 version of the firmware and just overwrite the file. You can get it from here: http://svn.wdlxtv.com/filedetails.php?repname=wdlxtv-live&path=%2Ftrunk%2Flib%2Fmodules%2Firkernel.ko. See if that works without EIRI and with EIRI.

What do you think? I'd try Plan C first - it has high chances of working if the difference is only in there.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby serpens » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:33 am

serpens
n00b

Postby serpens » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:07 pm

serpens
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:03 am

Sweet! I will replace the ko in the firmware tree and see if others can try it out. So now, you have EIRI support with other remotes and the original remote as well, right?

Update: Ok, I commited the patched file. I still have something to try and fix before I release a new firmware, but a new firmware should be released by the end of November containing your patch.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby serpens » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:34 am

serpens
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:27 am

I only commited the compiled kernel module. There is no official repository of kernel sources and mods, mostly because we can't compile a full kernel (no way to sign it).
mad_ady
Developer

Postby serpens » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:11 am

serpens
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:48 pm

I'm not sure about an actual post, but I remember hearing b-rad on IRC that his last attempts at kexec had everything working except console - when the new kernel booted it would hang when trying to output text via console, or something like this. I never tried it, but you can ask b-rad if you log on to IRC and camp around (he's on a business trip currently but should return next week).
mad_ady
Developer

Postby allidea » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:42 pm

Have a problem? Visit .
Ad 1) I tend to find a solution by myself just after I submit a new post asking others to do it for me.
Ad 2) Proud to be *nix n00b - not because I prefer m$, rather I'm trying to get better at it!
allidea
WDTVer

Next

Return to WDTV Live