[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4326: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4328: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4329: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4330: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
How to change the status of FW_SIGN

Have a question about devices internals, memory layout, reverse engineering, etc---This is the place for anything so technical that it would cause a n00b's head to 'splode

Postby shazam » Tue May 25, 2010 6:51 pm

Dear all,

My Gen2 got a froozen WDTV logo problem after trying upgrade to firmware 1.01.77.

With the instructions searched from internet I am able to communicate with the unit using a RS232-TTL cable connected to the PCB. There I saw in the log that “FW_SIGN= ” which might be the cause of the problem.

Can you help me changing the status of FW_SIGN ?
Thank you.

P.S. Even a step by step instructions will be highly appreciated since I am new to Linux.
shazam
n00b

Re: How to change the status of FW_SIGN   

Postby shazam » Thu May 27, 2010 5:18 pm

shazam
n00b

Postby b-rad.cc » Thu May 27, 2010 7:01 pm

I'll dig up my unbricking notes...its not straightforward though ;)

Have you tried running a root.bin? Your firmware can be pretty corrupt and as long as busybox and libc aren't corrupt it will pivot into the external image. I would try that...

if that works then you can place new wdtvhd.bin and wdtvhd.ver with the version increased along with root.bin and select upgrade from the menu when it detects the new firmware version.
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby shazam » Thu May 27, 2010 9:27 pm

shazam
n00b

Postby b-rad.cc » Fri May 28, 2010 5:58 am

PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby shazam » Sat May 29, 2010 10:50 am

shazam
n00b

Postby shazam » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:34 pm

May be the following information would help.

I bought a WD TV with firmware ver. 1.01.41 from used market. It came with a P/N WD00AVN which should be a WD TV
Gen 1 according to WD.

But this unit won't be updated with the ver. 1.03.01 official firmware no matter how I change the number in WDTV.ver file.

A few days later I copied the ver. 1.01.77 official firmware for Gen 2 into a USB drive and the firmware upgrade icon appeared finally. But it failed durring the firmware update and now the WD logo is frozen on the screen, the unit requests
a USB device with the latest firmware be inserted (with no effect).

I tested with the ver. 1.01.77 firmware since there is a little sticker outside the box with "PS655W /Hut XXX" printed on it.
After searching the web I guess it's a Gen2 since it's non-networkable.

That's the story why I had a bricked WD TV Gen X.

If anyone is interested in that little sticker I will take a picture and upload it if permitted.
shazam
n00b

Return to WDTV Gen 2