SEE BOTTOM OF THIS POST
I've pulled the releases of WDLXTV-plus 0.5.0.0 due to a sudden realization, after my netflix not working for 5 days now, that Western Digital has gone and pulled a Hub on us!!!
After 8 firmware releases Western Digital has modified the GPL fff to
This is stated NOWHERE on their site, but is in a document with a flow chart in the GPL archive. I apologize if this has happened to you and you no longer have netflix. I don't have it either anymore and I AM P*SSED.
If you still do have netflix:
IMMEDIATELY go to the webend and download a complete backup of the /conf folder!
Netflix worked for me on 0.5.0.0 until 5 days ago and I had flashed the fff in question weeks prior, so until you somehow lose activation you *should* be ok.
If you've been affected I suggest:
- SEE ADDENDUM BELOW - however you should still call and complain to WD that you want FREEDOM with what you install on your device
- Downloading 1.06.16_B from Western Digital and rolling back to it (follow rollback instructions in n00b central)
- Calling Western Digital and complaining that Netflix no longer works after your latest upgrade to 1.06.16_B
- Asking for an RMA for a new device so that you can watch Netflix again
Now why would Western Digital do this?
- Netflix encryption was NEVER cracked/broken/blah/blah/blah because of WDLXTV
- Netflix secret keys were NEVER exposed because of WDLXTV
- Netflix content was NEVER downloadable because of WDLXTV
- Netflix was in NO RISK OF ANYTHING because of WDLXTV
This is blatant destruction/modification of property that has NEVER had this restriction enforced before. This device has been out for over a year and just NOW they decide that they'll irreversibly destroy/remove one of the features because people want to run what they want to run. This type of action is illegal in Europe and should be heavily chastised in North America.
If you still have Netflix:
- immediately make a full backup of /conf/
- continue using WDLXTV-PLUS until you somehow lose Netflix
- once you do lose Netflix, downgrade to the latest official firmware and initiate complaint procedure from every angle possible, loudly
Future WDLXTV-PLUS releases will contain the last 'safe' fff, which is the one which came with 0.4.7.3
- this means no 3TB hdd support
Ok, so after making this long winded post it appears that recovering netflix is stil possible.
Yes, after messing with this thing and doing 100 different reflashes 100 different ways it appears to not be quite as bad as implied
So heres my little apology for flying off the handle. While the 1.06.16_B GPL kernel is an antiquated POS without 3TB hdd support it DOES NOT irreparably destroy your plus.
I happened to have bought this plus 20 days ago after bricking all the other ones I had over the last few months, and since it was within 30 days I decided I'd wipe it and re-stockify it to bring back to the store...well i thought, hell, i might as well try and watch something again for the 1000th time and then deactivate it again before I return it...and now it works...Why it all of a sudden works I have no effin clue ... but you may please put away your pitch forks, for the mean time at least.
This does not mean that WD is not planning something like this in the future as their own documentation specifically states no rollback and permanent key deletion by using the GPL fff. What I can say is it is IMPOSSIBLE to activate netflix while usingthe GPL fff.
Here is what I did to recover Netflix:
- deactivated the non working Netflix ( inside the Netflix menu press on your remote: UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT UP UP UP UP -> deactivate )
- 'downgraded' to 1.06.16_B
- before reboot to that upgrade i wiped /conf/
- Code: Select all
rm /conf/* && config_tool -s && config_tool -s
- devices rebooted and flashed 1.06.16_B to itself
- inside of 1.06.16_B i went into netflix and activated it (might as well try one last time before returning eh?)
- tried to play a video (for the heck of it...)
- IT WORKED!?!?!?!?!
- upgraded to 0.5.0.0 using an old FFF (linked at the bottom of this post)
- IT STILL WORKS
NOTE: I tried the above exact steps many times in the last 2 weeks or so and it NEVER worked before so I don't know what I did differently this time. Perhaps it was afraid of getting returned and binned, perhaps the stars are aligned just right, perhaps a little Netflix gnome came by last night...or perhaps i never did the steps above in that exact order
DOUBLE NOTE: OK, I just thought of the ONE difference between today and the previous 100 times. That being this time i went to stock FROM the fff linked at the bottom of this post and then after stock directly back into that fff. I'd flashed this fff today during my final testing of the next point release of WDLXTV-PLUS trying to find what I thought was the best kernel to use. So perhaps this fff is some magical entity. If the above steps don't work for you the first time flash WDLXTV-Plus with the fff below, then flash stock, then flash WDLXTV-Plus again with the same fff.
Post here if you are successful in getting back your beloved Netflix
Now if we only had a damn 3TB enabled fff!!!
here is a safe wdtvlive2.fff you can flash with 0.5.0.0 after getting Netflix towork