I've just released the first version of the Cantio UMSP plugin. This plugin is integrated with the http://cant.io website, which is a clone of Grooveshark with the distinction that it gets the music from youtube (as music videos!) and is generally more legitimate than Grooveshark. The website shows a lot of promise, although, as far as I see, the community is not that big yet. You might not be able to find all the music you want, and you might get wrong videos (or very low quality) for specific tracks.
This plugin requires that you have Youtube Subscriptions installed on your system (Addons Manager -> UMSP)! Youtube Subscriptions proxy is used for playback. You don't need to enable Youtube Subscriptions in WEC or to have it configured. Playback quality will try to respect the selected YOUTUBE_QUALITY parameter (if available)
- Code: Select all
* Get most popular songs from Cant.io or Last.fm
* Get most popular artists + albums from Cant.io or Last.fm
* Canned search (defined in a config file)
* Local M3U playlists parsing
* Multiple accounts (local accounts, not connected with facebook!)
* Radio mode
* Playlists/Now playing/Favorites
* Get videos directly from Youtube
- Code: Select all
* Login is IN CLEAR TEXT - so you'd better not reuse that password anywhere else! This is how their website works, nothing I can do to change it.
* Facebook login is not implemented (don't have a facebook account :P). If anywone wants to add support, feel free.
* Radio mode is slow. When entering radio mode, the plugin asks for x random tracks to play, but the server-side script takes about 2-3 seconds to return each result. The problem is - the wdtv will time out waiting for reply if I request a lot of tracks in one go, so I've limited the number of items in the radio 'playlist' to 10. It can be tweaked in the web interface, but if you get "no content", you've asked for too many items.
If you experience problems with the plugin (some things work on the web interface, but don't work in the plugin), post here and let me know.[del]If you have complaints that certain tracks are not found, or that clip quality is awful or it's the wrong clip, then complain to the site webmasters: http://cant.io/contact//del. Recent changes have moved much of the logic behind cant.io to this plugin. If you are getting different results than on the site, let me know.
The plugin works without a configuration file, but is limited only to Most popular songs and most popular artists. In order for the plugin to be useful you should create a test account with cantio (! mind the password !) and organize your playlists as desired from there (they also have a m3u import option, but it isn't very reliable).
The configuration file gives you access to your accounts and also to radio mode (Radio mode works for registered users).
Here is an example configuration file (cantio.xml). You can place it in /conf, or on a USB drive or on an xmount; just make sure you specify the full path to reach the file in the plugin configuration section on the web interface.
- Code: Select all
When you define a "canned search" item, you can put in your search term, or add the attribute artist=1 (like in the queen example). This will cause the plugin to interpret your query term as an artist and return all the albums of that artist, so you can browse for music. Without that attribute set, it will do a regular search.
The playlist tag allows you to define local (or remote playlists). Input the full path (or URL) to the M3U file. Please note that only Extended M3U format is supported http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U#Extended_M3U_directives. From it, the plugin will extract the artist and track and will pass along the information to youtube. If the track doesn't have metadata (the entry has the text None), then the artist and track name is derived from the filename. You don't need to have access to the files in the playlist - all the content will be taken from youtube.
The web interface also allows you to randomize the order of the tracks for playlists, now playing and favorites. It will resort the list each time you view the list.
* it's possible you won't be logged in if you're using special characters in your password (let me know if this is the case)
Let me know how it works, and post back any problems or bugs you run into.