Streaming to WDLXTV from Kodi?

General WDLXTV-Gen3 forum

Streaming to WDLXTV from Kodi?   

Postby ghost123uk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:34 am

I have a WDTV Live gen3 box, currently running it's standard software.
I have been attempting to stream content from Kodi to this box with no success.
I was considering trying WDLXTV to see if that enabled this facility, but (considerable) research has led my to this comment on another thread on here:-
KAD wrote:No - Kodi does not work with any mips based device

This "box" is of course a MIPs based device. So it seems that even with WDLXTV, what I would like to do will not be possible :(

Unless anyone knows different?
Last edited by ghost123uk on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
ghost123uk
n00b

Re: Streaming to WDLXTV from Kodi?   

Postby ghost123uk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:09 am

Double post :oops:
ghost123uk
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:27 pm

What KAD meant was that there is no Kodi release that *runs on* MIPS. Even if there were, you'd need Kodi to support hardware accelerated playback on WDTV's hardware (to be able to interface with the drivers) to be of any use. Needless to say that's very unlikely to ever happen.

But you want something else - you want to "play to" WDTV. In theory you could do this. WDTV runs a DLNA renderer, so if you can tell Kodi to play content to a DLNA renderer, you can play to the WDTV (even with stock software). Maybe this will help (though it's not exactly the same thing): http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_UPnP

Or this: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=190136
Where does XBMC come into play here? Are you running XBMC on that macbook? If so your TV needs to support UPNP rendering and you need to enable the UPNP "Play To" feature in XBMC (system->services->UPNP - something like "search for upnp players"). Then you can start that stream via the context menu and hit "Play Using" - the list of found UPNP renderers should then show your TV and you should be able to play the stream from XBMC to your TV.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby ghost123uk » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:54 am

Thanks for the reply Mad-Ady, I have already set up the UPNP etc and Kodi can "see" the WDTV Live box, but playing any sort of file fails.

However, as I am not actually running WDLXTV (yet) I feel I should draw this to a close here and pursue my enquiries on the Kodi / WDTV forums ;)

If I get it working, I will refresh this thread, and once again, thanks for taking the time to reply :)
ghost123uk
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:42 am

Can you see Kodi Library under Video -> Media Servers as well?
mad_ady
Developer

Return to Discussion