Happy Holiday's and a fond farewell

General WDLXTV-Gen3 forum

Happy Holiday's and a fond farewell   

Postby KAD » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:30 pm

It's been quite some time, I wanted to wish everybody happy holiday's and give you all a heads up on my status

Over the past year, between changing jobs and increased family activities, I've found little to no time for dev work
I've also moved on to a new media player, the family is now all using Nvidia Shield TV with Kodi

I've really enjoyed the time here, I've made some good friends and learned a lot from all of you
I'm sure I'll run into some of you on IRC or other projects and I look forward to it

if there's any brave sole's out there wanting to do more Gen3 work, what I've done is all available in SVN
the remaining to do list I had was
Code: Select all
add missing libs / fix nzbget
disable "S[0-9]0-9]*" scripts on thumbdrive, change to "S[0-9]0-9]user-script"
add irinject
add missing lib libpython2.7.so.1.0
upgrade python - to include C states, available on forum from recliq  http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9187&start=10
update shutdown/reboot procedures
update PHP so that youtube3 plugin works  http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9230&p=75351&e=75351
fix youtube crash  http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9230&p=75351#p75348

so I wish you a fond farewell
KAD :)
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Re: Happy Holiday's and a fond farewell   

Postby mad_ady » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:14 am

Sorry to see you leave... The site is getting lonelier by the day :roll:
b-rad hasn't logged in in years, RMerlin moved to his router firmwares and recliq stopped bashing noobs months ago... I'm going to stick around for a while but I'm also mostly out of time (and currently involved a bit in Odroids and Samsung TVs). The WDTV is still doing is media player job and will be kept around until h265 makes it obsolete.

Regarding your todo list - I think you can scratch "upgrade PHP to make youtube3 work". User nixxo changed the youtube3 code to make it run on Gen3's PHP.

Otherwise your todo list is pretty small. Some new aspiring dev could pick up the work (I'm looking at you nixxo or JoeySmyth!)

Well, it was a great ride while it lasted and everyone learned a bunch of stuff from all of this. Too bad WD pulled the plug and this project will slowly die as well.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby nixxo » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:00 am

happy holidays.... and sorry to see you leave.

just pointing out that I'm not capable of "taking over" so... don't look at me :D :D . My "expertise" are confined in the php space, a basic understanding and self-learning of the language to create little script or fixing little stuff.
I don't posses the knowledge to create or modify a firmware for a device.
nixxo
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:29 pm

Ask KAD what his skill set was before taking over for Gen3. As far as I remember, he wasn't a certified system engineer, nor a hardcore kernel programmer. But he had some time and most of all interest to see some features ported over to Gen3 and he went in and did it. It's a great learning experience while having the ability to remotely brick other people's devices :D
mad_ady
Developer

Return to Discussion