Could my WDTV live be missing a chip?

General WDLXTV-Gen3 forum

Could my WDTV live be missing a chip?   

Postby sil7910 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:16 pm

Hello everyone, i'm writing in this forum because i have a problem with my WDTV live device.
I live in Argentina, last year i bought a WDTV live device to wath Netflix. It worked fine until some weeks ago, it started to crash. The only thing i could do was to reset the device. So i contacted the people from WD, they asked me to returned this device so they can replace it for a new one.
Last week i have received this new device ant to my surprise IT DOESN'T HAVE NETFLIX. I'm really dissapointed. The people from WD told me that WD has not renew the contract with Netflix. So i thought somebody may have the same problem and started to look for a solution, that's when i found this forum and this firmware to install.
The thing is that my boyfriend read in another forum that this new device is missing a chip that allowed streaming from Netflix, so i don't know if this firmware can be usefull to us. Could this be true? The model device is WDBYMN0000NBK-VESN.

Hope you can help me!
sil7910
n00b

Re: Could my WDTV live be missing a chip?   

Postby mad_ady » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:10 am

You got a Gen4 now. You probably had a Gen3 before. Devices that support netflix usually have some hardware decryption as part of their CPUs that is used for Netflix. You could try to run the Gen3 firmware on this Gen4, but most likely the Netflix app will crash because it can't find the correct hardware...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby sil7910 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:12 am

Thanks for your reply! Is there a firmware for the gen4?
sil7910
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:43 pm

Yes. Search the forum for liverpool.
mad_ady
Developer

Return to Discussion