Telnet vs java security

General WDLXTV-Gen3 forum

Telnet vs java security   

Postby Danny_Tenaglia » Sun May 17, 2015 11:36 am

I have connection problems to telnet: there is no way to enter in this menu. Looking for an answer in the forum, seems there is no solution for me.

I'm trying to enter telnet from my computer and this is the result:

in my java security panel, I have this:

any advice?
Danny_Tenaglia
n00b

Re: Telnet vs java security   

Postby KAD » Sun May 17, 2015 7:36 pm

if you're using the java telnet applet from webend, that only way I've gotten it to run is by lowering the java security to medium

even better, just download putty and skip the whole java problem completely
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby recliq » Mon May 18, 2015 2:34 am

On OSX (which your screenshots suggest you're using), just open a terminal and type
Code: Select all
telnet <IP of your WDTV>

You can use the termnial also to connect via SSH:
- Open the Terminal application: in the Applications > Utilities folder, click the Terminal icon.
- From the Shell menu, select New Remote Connection...
- Click Secure Shell (ssh) in the Service column.
- In the blank field at the bottom of the Connect to server window, enter the hostname or IP address of the server you wish to connect to. Enter your user id in the User: field, and click Connect.
- You will then be prompted for your password on that server. When you type your password your keystrokes will not be displayed, for security reasons.
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby Danny_Tenaglia » Mon May 18, 2015 5:34 am

recliq wrote:On OSX (which your screenshots suggest you're using), just open a terminal and type

Code: Select all
telnet <IP of your WDTV>

Perfect! this worked for me
Thanks a lot guys
Danny_Tenaglia
n00b

Postby rolle-rolle » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:19 am

Hi all,
I have the same problem as Danny now. I am working with windows 10. I have installed the homebrew firmware and there were no error messages during installation. Homebrew mode is on.

My problem now is that I am not able to edit my files on the media player usb hard disc. I always get the error message that I have not the correct permission of the user "Unix User\root".
This problem occurs after switching to the WDLXTV firmware for my WDTV live media player.

Using my browser and adressing to my media player IP and starting TELNET CLIENT I have got the same messages as Danny.

Additionally the filenames are displayed wrong. All german letters like ä, ö, ü, etc. are displayed with an underline _.

Is there anybody who can help? Thanks.
rolle-rolle
n00b

Postby rolle-rolle » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:14 am

OK, now I found out that it is impossible to edit the old media player usb hard disk files via media player, too!!! It is getting more and more crazy.
Please, is there a simple way to set the permission for the whole hard disk???
rolle-rolle
n00b

Postby rolle-rolle » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:05 am

Now I have read about problems with the homebrew firmware. My usb hard disk is formated with NTSF. Is it possible that this causes the behaviour? The disk is a 1TB hard disk. FAT32 is not suitable for larger files...
rolle-rolle
n00b

Postby rolle-rolle » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:33 am

Ok, problem is solved. Just ejecting the usb hard disk via remote control, dis- and reconnecting the disk physically and everything is as usual.
rolle-rolle
n00b

Return to Discussion