WDTV Live Gen3 - Some Hardware Infos & Tips

General WDLXTV-Gen3 forum

WDTV Live Gen3 - Some Hardware Infos & Tips   

Postby Sam_81 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 am

Hi everybody,

I was frustrated since ever about the bad response my box had with the remote-control (responded only by aiming within 10 degree angle). So I decided to open it.

Here is what's good to know:

- There's an usual lithium button cell inside - good to know if in a few years the first boxes begin loosing settings.

- The ir-reciever component was bent all way down to the front, bending it straight up solved this issue completely!

- As it was opened anyway and I coudn't trust my eyes I decided to give the sigma cpu a heatsink.

Layout:

Heatsink (40x40mm):

As far you could see following i'm afraid to say that the manufacturer did plan obsolescence.
The cpu produces a lot of heat - pictures are saying more (all temps WITH heatsink).
Opened, playing hd content:

Closed cover, playing hd content:

Closed cover, playing flac:

I didn't catch the temps without heatsink, but there's no way around that the box will die after a few years. (like most electronics do due overheating)
They do know about the heat, look at the stiffening ribs (underneath is sitting the sigma) to prevent deformation of the cover in cause of heat radiation:

- If somebody is having trouble getting a good WLAN signal - the realtek module ist placed separately upright next to the mainboard (first picture on the left)
and looks like any laptop-module, but soldered connection via usb-cable. So get some antennas and plug it into the 2 available sockets (should be IPEX).

That's it!
Last edited by Sam_81 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam_81
n00b

Re: WDTV Live Gen3 - Some Hardware Infos & Tips   

Postby petermg » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:12 pm

For some reason all your pictures redirect to http://198.23.x.x/ and shows nothing......?
Last edited by kroetkroet on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed your own public IP address
petermg
WDTVer

Postby kroetkroet » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:26 am

Same here, directupload.net gets reversed on your own public IP address. Won't work for obvious reasons :lol:
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby Sam_81 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:53 am

kroetkroet wrote:Same here, directupload.net gets reversed on your own public IP address. Won't work for obvious reasons :lol:

Seems like they did some serversided work.

Reup again.
Sam_81
n00b

Postby wdtvsmp1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:53 am

Thank you for your pictures, Sam_81.

Could you please tell us: HOW did you open the case exactly?

With "bending it straight up" you mean 90° to the bottom of the case, right?
wdtvsmp1
n00b

Return to Discussion