Attention Themers Hub/SMP Info

Theming the WDTV Live Hub!

Re: Attention Themers Hub/SMP Info   

Postby jamie21 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Just to add - I've tried using commands in telnet such as /conf and /tmp/media/usb but it says 'Permission denied'

Don't know if these are the right commands to find the USB path anyway (found them whilst googling) - but either way no luck. Also, the WDLXTV webend shows no available disks? Even though the USB is plugged in to my SMP (has media files on it as well as the dark mamba theme with moivesheets)

***SOLVED*** - for any other noobs, the command in telnet was 'df -k' to list everything connected to the SMP, found my USB path there. However the theme itself (black mamba) doesn't display correctly, the main menu is using a mix of the stock theme with the mamba theme...but the settings, video etc show the black mamba theme properly. Tried rebooting the SMP but still the same. Also the moviesheets test files I added to the root of the USB aren't working for some reason...the thumbnail shows but there's no moviesheet. Could it be because I didn't put the theme in a zip file on the USB? (I just placed all xml files and the two folders onto the root of the USB as I wasn't sure what format it should all be in) I did edit everything else correctly as per the first post in this thread...any ideas?

**EDIT #2** Feel like a thick n00b at the mo, just realized I a) only edited the rv_gallery_browse_page.xml page and not any others. I misunderstood the post and thought it meant change the <image image="@@browse_text" x="0" y="0" w="1280" h="720" bg="1"/> to <image image="@@focused_title" x="0" y="0" w="1280" h="720" bg="1"/> - DUH! Anywho realised I have to ADD these lines of code to quite a few xml files. In the black mamba rv_gallery_browse_page.xml this line of code already exists, just without the 'bg="1" bit at the end, so do I just add that on for that xml? Also for the other xml files where do I add the <image image="@@focused_title" x="0" y="0" w="1280" h="720" bg="1"/> line exactly - does it matter where it is or can I just add it to the bottom of each xml file? Sorry again for these n00b questions!!!

**EDIT/UPDATE 3** Changed the rv_gallery_browse_page.xml xml file correctly (I think) by adding bg="1" into the code, as above. Tested a few files on the root of theme (USB stick) as well as a couple of networked hard drives on my computer - and moviesheets work!! - with no delay between browsing - amazing work to the folks who figured all this out!! But still don't know where exactly to add the following code to the other xml files <image image="@@focused_title" x="0" y="0" w="1280" h="720" bg="1"/> - guessing (hoping) that's why the menu on my SMP looks like a mix of the Mochi stock theme and black mamba theme...Sorry for the extremely long winded post btw
jamie21
n00b

Postby KAD » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:58 pm

so you don't explicitly state what you're trying to do

sounds like you want to use the theme "Goodbye Black Mamba"
and you want to run in from a thumbdrive

if that's the case
once you have telnet access
put the theme on usb drive
follow step 7b
and reboot

The theme "Goodbye Black Mamba" already has all the edits it should have
you've probably done something to the theme with your edits, that is causing the theme to not work correctly

if you use media library you'll also have to see step 8, but doesn't like it, because your sheets are already being displayed
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby jamie21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:26 am

Sorry yes - I was trying to run the 'Goodbye Black Mamba' theme from USB.

I didn't realise this theme already had the xml edits so put the theme on a different USB and it works perfectly, just need to make all the moviesheets now. Cheers!
jamie21
n00b

Postby thegman » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:23 pm

I have been running linksheets on my 3x SMP boxes for months now (using the Goodbye Black Mamba Theme) and it has been great. I thought I would write down all the steps for others (and to remind myself later). Also, I have all my media on a PC using network shares (windows) and I have the media library off. I also don't use any of the services so when I say everything runs well for me it is based on how I use the WDTV box. The link to the files is : http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7663

Unzip : WDLXTV-Palace-homebrew-kit-v2.zip
Step 1) edit device-ip.txt and enter in the file *ONLY* your media player’s IP address
Step 2) win-homebrew-upload.bat
Step 3) win-homebrew-brewme.bat
Step 4) win-homebrew-status.bat
If everything works you'll see nice message, if you see a lot of HTML the theme upload failed
for whatever reason (probably wrong IP address)
SO, if you see a lot of HTML edit device-ip.txt and make sure the ***ONLY*** thing the
file contains is your WDTV's IP address.

Next prepare a USB stick with the necessary files :
first upzip : WDLXTV-Palace-homebrew-kit-v2.zip and place the file in root of your USB.
Next copy the 4 files in boot folder (from other zip file) to the root of the usb device.
You should have these 5 files in the root of the USB memory :
wdlxtv-palace.bin
runsit.sh
sysconfig.patched
wdtvlivegen3.bin.mpm
wdtvlivegen3.bin.mpm.sha1sum

I am using the Goodbye Black Mamba Theme. Next step is to create a folder for the theme. I rather stupidly created a long folder path. I can’t remember why but I think it is now unnecessary. I will detail what I did but you could use a single folder to house your theme. So in the USB memory I have my theme copied to :
\usrdata\wd_tv\Theme\GoodbyeBlackMamba
All of your linksheets/GenreSheets/FolderSheets etc will go into this folder with the uncompressed theme (you should have a bunch of xml files with 2 folders called “image” and “screenshot”).

Next step is to place the USB device into the rear USB port and power on the WDTV box. Remember a hard boot i.e. power off and on at the wall.

If all goes well the WDTV will boot up the WDLXTV palace firmware off your USB memory and you will see the default Mochi theme. Next go to your PC and go to a web browser and type “http://IP address” to go to the web browser of the WDTV box. You will see a totally different webend compared with stock firmware.

While in the WDLXTV Web Frontend you will need some information about your USB Memory. On the left click on “Mount Table” and note the path for “Mount Point”. It will be: /tmp/media/usb/USB210/DA03-F762 (as an example only) Note that the numbers and letters at the end will be unique for each USB stick you plug in so it is important to match this with the actual USB memory you have your firmware and theme on. I have 3x SMP boxes and although each memory stick has identical contents I cannot just plug them into any SMP box I have to match the stick to the correct box.

Now that you have this important piece of information you can do the final bit to run off a theme.
In windows type : telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (your IP address). By default just type in “root” for the login and press enter. There is information elsewhere to password protect the root of your SMP box.

You should see the palace logo. Try typing in “df –k” this is another way to get the USB identifying information.

Now you need to type in :
config_tool -c THEME_PATH=/tmp/media/usb/USB210/XXXX-XXXX/usrdata/wd_tv/Theme/GoodbyeBlackMamba

Note “XXXX-XXXX” is the unique number you discovered above.

Note also that the path after the “USB210/XXXX-XXXX” is whatever folders you made to house your theme contents.

Now do a hard reboot and you should see the Black Mamba theme appear. One thing I noticed is that whenever I do a hard power off/on reboot I get some corruption to the home page of the Black mamba theme. If I then do a soft power off/on from the remote then all is well. I hope this description helps others to enjoy linksheets !

Also if I have screwed up this description or there is a better way to do it let me know and I will edit the description.
thegman
WDTVer

Postby thebrax » Thu May 16, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi, So I happened to notice that you listed 5 files :

You should have these 5 files in the root of the USB memory :
wdlxtv-palace.bin
runsit.sh
sysconfig.patched <----------This file is not present in either package, nor is it referred to in the instructions.
wdtvlivegen3.bin.mpm
wdtvlivegen3.bin.mpm.sha1sum

I have a Gen3 WD. it is in Homebrew Mode. I have verified this. I definitely do not have a file called sysconfig.patched. Is this file created by one of the batch files?

For me the only difference is the wifi doesn't seem to work, Theme and menu is unchanged.

I can access Palace through the web end but the only plugin that appears is the one for optical drives.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thebrax
n00b

Postby KAD » Fri May 17, 2013 12:12 am

this thread is about theming

you should post or ask questions about the firmware in the correct thread
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby thebrax » Fri May 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Sorry bout that, but it seemed kinda related, in as much for me the theme has not changed.

And the list of the 5 files caught my eye, me only having the four.

I'll go find the right thread.
thebrax
n00b

Postby chrish16 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi

I can't get this working. The win-homebrew-brewme.bat file completed successfully but when i try to telnet using putty i can a message stating connection closed by host.
chrish16
n00b

Postby recliq » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:08 am

chrish16 wrote:Hi

I can't get this working. The win-homebrew-brewme.bat file completed successfully but when i try to telnet using putty i can a message stating connection closed by host.

1. Wrong thread, head over here: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7663
2. Did you change the port in putty to 23? The default is 22 which is SSH.
http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Set_SSH_password#Windows
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby mz_inet » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:28 am

I set up WDLXTV with a theme using "config_tool -c THEME_PATH=" and the theme changed some areas, but it didn't change the startup image or the main page, so it re-themed WDTV partially.

Beside telneting and resetting the THEMEPATH variable, is there something else that can be done to run linksheets from my hard drive and have the whole theme look and run exactly as it would if I ran it with out WDLXTV?

Thanks.
mz_inet
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to WDTV Live Hub Theming