[Solved] 1.03.49_PLUS_0.4.7.3 - wont flash, now bricked??

the place for WDLXTV-Plus bugs

[Solved] 1.03.49_PLUS_0.4.7.3 - wont flash, now bricked??   

Postby FUNKBUQET » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:06 pm

Sorry if this has been answered here already. I searched but all similar cases I found didn't help.

I just got my WD TV LIVE PLUS and it came with firmware 1.04.18_B. I downloaded the 1.03.49_B_WDLXTV.COM_WDLXTV_PLUS-0.4.7.3 firmware and moved the bin, fff and ver files onto a freshly vfat formatted usb drive. I modified the ver file to say 1.04.19 and popped it in. It recognised the firmware update and itold it to install. Once I got to the "your machine is being WDLXTV'd" screen though things went wrong. At 20% the screen chaged to the rebooting screen and after a minute or so gave me the "insert a usb drive with firmware to recover your WDTV" screen. I tried removing and reinserting the usb drive and the cycle re-occured.

So heeding the advice I found on the forum I tried to roll back the firmware to factory. First I tried 1.03.49 siince it was the the base firmware. It brings up the screen saying that the firmware is being updated, and once it gets to 100% tells me the update is complete and reboots. The problem is that if I leave the usb drive in once it reboots it goes straight back to the updating firmware screen and the process repeats itself. And if I take the drive out when it is rebooting it stays stuck on the initial WD splash screen. If I unplug it and then plug it back in it goes straight back to the "insert usb device with firmware" screen.

I then tried again but this time I attempted to install the 1.04.18_B firmware that came with it originally and it acted the same way. I also tried the WDLXTV firmware again and it did the same thing as the first time I treid. Inbetween each attempt I reformatted the usb drive. I then formatted a second usb drive and attempted to install the 1.03.49 factory firmware again using it. No change, it still got stuck in a loop of updateing firmware - rebooting - updating firmware - etc.

It seems like the firmware is not actually flashing onto the device. so when I boot without the usb drive in it doesn't see any firmware.

Am I screwed? Has anywone ran into this problem before? any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I bought the WD TV LIVE PLUS because of this firmware and immediately donated site unseen. I know others here have gotten it working on this same device with the same firmware. Is it possibly a hardware issue? I bought it new, but made sure it was the WDBABX0000NBK model that should be compatable.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Last edited by FUNKBUQET on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
FUNKBUQET
Donor

Re: 1.03.49_BWDLXTV_PLUS_0.4.7.3 - wont flash, now bricked??   

Postby RMerlin » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:19 am

Make sure that you use Windows "Safely remove" option before unplugging your USB drive from your PC, otherwise the file you put on your flash drive might be corrupted.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby FUNKBUQET » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:31 am

I run ubuntu, which has an option for eject and safely remove. I formatted (vfat), copied the firmware files and tried both. Regardless of whether I use eject or safely remove I get the same result.

I am going to try formatting one of the USB drives in fat32 using the windows machine I use at work to see if that make a difference, but I am not to hopeful (since I am pretty sure there is little to no difference between vfat and fat32).
FUNKBUQET
Donor

Postby FUNKBUQET » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:49 pm

surprisingly it worked! I am not sure what was wrong with the way ubuntu formatted the usb drive. I guess i will load up my firmware on my work machine from now on.

to format the usb drive I used 'mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb1' anyone know why that wouldn't work?
FUNKBUQET
Donor

Return to Bugs