1.03.49_B-WDLXTV-Plus-0.4.5 Blinking Power Light - BRICKED??

the place for WDLXTV-Plus bugs

1.03.49_B-WDLXTV-Plus-0.4.5 Blinking Power Light - BRICKED??   

Postby barnis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:00 am

I have a WDTV Live Plus which I installed the latest b-rad on a few weeks ago. (I actually have two units). Last night I was using the web panel to configure an nfs mount. When I power cycled by unplugging the unit it never came back. The power light flashes / blinks and nothing is visible on the screen. I tried to reset using a paper clip and nothing changed. I tried to leave it unplugged for a while and nothing changed. i left it plugged in over night and it was in the same status in the morning. i tried a clean USB with firmware in both USB ports and I get no USB activity lights on boot...

I'm pretty sure it's bricked. Any advice?
barnis
n00b

Re: 1.03.49_B-WDLXTV-Plus-0.4.5 Blinking Power Light - BRICK   

Postby RMerlin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:31 am

You cannot brick it by editing the configuration, since the firmware itself isn't writable - only the config file is. Have you tried booting it with no USB disk and no network plugged at all on it?

If the power LED is still blinking, then it's most likely a defective unit I'm afraid.

In any case... This isn't a bug.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby barnis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:46 am

I have tried booting with only POWER and HDMI cables attached with the same results. Good to know that it wasn't me who broke it. It was just strange that it occurred right after a change to /config
barnis
n00b

Postby RMerlin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:57 am

barnis wrote:I have tried booting with only POWER and HDMI cables attached with the same results. Good to know that it wasn't me who broke it. It was just strange that it occurred right after a change to /config

Using the reset button should cure any potential corruption that might have occurred in the config file in case it got corrupted by plugging on the power cord too soon while it was still writing it.

Out of curiosity, did you see if you were able to ping its IP address while it was booted with the network cable plugged in?

As a last resort you could try plugging it using a composite cable to see if there's any video output at all, in case the flashing light would only happen to be linksheet scanning (which shouldn't happen anyway if there is no USB disk and no network connection to provide any scanable content).
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Return to Bugs