[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4326: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4328: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4329: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4330: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Certain AVI Files Choppy after WDLXTV

General WDLXTV-Plus forum

Postby fiendz138 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:38 pm

fiendz138
n00b

Re: Certain AVI Files Choppy after WDLXTV   

Postby mad_ady » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Well, it looks like a network issue. The file that plays choppy has 1.3Mbps bitrate, and the one that plays fine has around 1Mbps bitrate. To rule out any network issues, try to play back the choppy file from a USB drive and see if it is still choppy.

The difference might be in the WDTV base versions (WDLXTV is currently based on 1.05, but latest stock is 1.06), which could translate into differences in samba versions. The long-term solution is to ditch samba and migrate to NFS, which offers better performance (there are guides on the wiki).
mad_ady
Developer

Postby fiendz138 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:28 am

Thanks for the info. I will try to use NFS.

I guess I don't completely understand. Why would all other files play correctly but this show is choppy? I went back to the stock firmware and it played fine.

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of this all :?
fiendz138
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:37 pm

Well, you'll need to check what mediainfo reports as total bitrate, but my guess is that the shows that play fine have a lower bitrate than the ones that don't play fine. Since you get your media from a network share (over Samba), you are limited to Samba's throughput, which is the worst throughput possible :D (Samba < NFS < DLNA).

Since it works for you with stock firmware, it means that stock firmware has some tweaks/a different version of samba which improves performance. WDLXTV has gone through a lot of changes in the samba code through the time (believe it or not, performance used to be worse), but it seems now the official samba version is better.

Hope this helps you better understand.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby fiendz138 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:31 am

Thanks for the explanation.

It makes total sense now :D
fiendz138
n00b

Return to Discussion