USB Gigabit Network Adapter?

General WDLXTV-Plus forum

USB Gigabit Network Adapter?   

Postby carlo1973 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:57 pm

Has anyone attempted to connect a 10/100/1000 USB Network Adapter to their WDLXTVPlus?

Wireless is all fine and dandy, but you get the best streaming when hard wired.

As I have my house wired (only a few things are wireless - such as laptops and tablets) I am using the built in NIC (10/100).

Recently I was toying with the idea, that HD streaming - especially for those large files, that I might see a performance boost if I connect a Gigabit USB Network adapter to the WD box, but not sure if it will be recognised.

Has anyone tried this?

If not - I may have to give it an attempt just for shoots and giggles :-)
carlo1973
Donor

Re: USB Gigabit Network Adapter?   

Postby mad_ady » Mon May 26, 2014 1:41 am

I doubt you would get extended performance because you'd be using the USB bus. Even if the theoretical max speed for the USB 2.0 bus is 480Mbps (shared between all devices), in order to do data transfers you would have to use IRQs from your CPU. A high traffic rate would lead to a lot of IRQ requests and ultimately the bottleneck will be the CPU. As far as I know the first generation of Gigabit home routers have this issue, and can't typically sustain a throughput of > 300Mbps. (E.g. The WD MyBook Live NAS has a Gigabit port, but a maximum throughput of about 100Mbps even in Gigabit mode).

If a Gigabit adapter is recognized would probably depend on the chipset. You can check in zcat /proc/config.gz to see if any gigabit dongles are compiled in the kernel or as modules. You could try to compile the kernel module yourself if you have a dongle (you'd need to setup the development environment and get WD's kernel sources).

If I were you (and if I didn't have time to play), I'd go with the onboard ethernet chip and optimize the connectivity option (NFS vs Cifs).
mad_ady
Developer

Postby recliq » Mon May 26, 2014 5:19 am

I doubt this will work for some reasons:
If you connect another ethernet adapter it will show up as eth1 (or higher), you won't be able to configure that interface via OSD and dmaosd will probably ignore that interface.
Since the built-in interface is likely to be not connected, DMAOSD (the OSD) will think that you don't have a network connection atall.

All this is just speculation based on the experiences with WiFi interface not supported by dmaosd.
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby mad_ady » Thu May 29, 2014 5:55 am

Well, xmounts should work if the network adapter is recognized by the kernel. That should be enough for some setups.
Also, you could have both ethernets connected, but use a default gateway to push traffic through the gigabit interface.
But this all is speculation. Let's see if the interface is recognized first...
mad_ady
Developer

Return to Discussion