Open Home protocol support or openhome via bubbleupnp server

General WDLXTV-Plus forum

Open Home protocol support or openhome via bubbleupnp server   

Postby gevi_alex » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi people,
I was wondering if anyone has attempted or has considered implementing OpenHome protocol http://www.openhome.org/wiki/OhMedia support in wdlxtv.
wdtv / wdlxtv are really awesome for playingpretty much any media file, also from PC or smartphones / tablets via upnp.
The only thing not so cool is the playlist support or lack of it.
So e.g. if im streaming a bunch of media from foobar2k or some other upnp enabled device to the wdtv via upnp, in my smartphone upnp app (bubbleupnp or upnplay are my favourites) I only see what is currently being played, but not the rest of the playlist, so I can't really select if I want to change the track order, what to play next, etc
That-s the beauty of the OpenHome protocol, the OpenHome enabled renderers/streamers not only stream the audio or video / images but also store the playlist, so all OpenHome enabled control points show the same playlist, meaning I can control the track selection from any of those devices (e.g. foobar2k or kinsky on pc; bubbleupnp, kinsky on android; others on iphone, ipad, etc)

Currently I'm emulating an openhome renderer/streamer with my wd live plus, by running the "Bubbleupnp server service" http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/ in my pc, and streaming the content to that virtual renderer/streamer.
It works really well, but I hate having to start my pc to run just that service, the idea is to use only my smartphone and wdtv. So I was wondering if it was possible for the device to run an openhome service natively or run the bubbleupnp service which I believe requires Java 1.6+
Thanks a lot for the comments in advance
Cheers
Alex
gevi_alex
n00b

Re: Open Home protocol support or openhome via bubbleupnp se   

Postby mad_ady » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:23 pm

Haven't heard of this protocol. It seems actually not to be a protocol per-se, but a suite of applications.
Playlist support sounds great, sure.

However, it would work if their software can push content to the WDTV's DLNA Renderer. Problem is - one would need to compile their software with the WDTV's toolchain, and the source code doesn't seem that open:
Source Code

ohMediaPlayer is provided in binary form (static library + header files) by default. Contact us if you want to discuss a license to access the full source code.
Note that we use a small number of externally sourced, commercially licensed audio codecs. We could only share the source for these if you negotiate access to them directly with the copyright holders.

If you can get them to give you the source without the extra codec information (you're not interested in having it play back media directly, you just want to push playlists to the DLNA renderer), then we can probably try to compile it.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby wileamson7 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:36 am

What I'm doing right now is I've installed Thumbgen on my WHS using a remote desktop connection (it's a headless device with no VGA connection), then copied templates I found on these forums into the correct place in the Thumbgen installation directory. I opened Thumbgen and made the relevant selections, including choosing the imported templates, made sure the total sheet size was below 512000 bytes (I set to 500000 bytes to ensure below 500kb), selected the folders on my server that contain all the movies, and am in the process of having Thumbgen find the information, which it is doing right now - I have a lot of media so it will be some hours before it is finished.
ahsan
wileamson7
n00b

Postby recliq » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:20 am

wileamson7 wrote:What I'm doing right now is I've installed Thumbgen on my WHS using a remote desktop connection (it's a headless device with no VGA connection), then copied templates I found on these forums into the correct place in the Thumbgen installation directory. I opened Thumbgen and made the relevant selections, including choosing the imported templates, made sure the total sheet size was below 512000 bytes (I set to 500000 bytes to ensure below 500kb), selected the folders on my server that contain all the movies, and am in the process of having Thumbgen find the information, which it is doing right now - I have a lot of media so it will be some hours before it is finished.

Please find another forum you can troll/spam... next useless post and you will be banned.
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby kroetkroet » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:03 am

I did find the level op intelligence quite high in his post :) Each sentence did make sense, but what the heck did I just read? :lol:
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Return to Discussion