Problems with a some Folder.jpg's

General WDLXTV-Plus forum

Problems with a some Folder.jpg's   

Postby chutzler » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:30 pm

After finally getting NFS working I've noticed something strange. My directory Hierarchy looks like this:

Code: Select all
videos
        Home Movies   *****
        TV  *****
           TV Show 1  **
           TV Show 2  **
           TV Show 3  **
       Movies  *****
                Action  **
                         Movie 1 **
                Drama **
                         Movie 1  **
                         Movie 2  **
                Horror  **
                         Movie 1 **
                         Movie 2 **
And so on through several more catagories

Those denoted with ***** contain Folder.jpg files, but do NOT display, those with ** have Folder.jpg's and DO display (By display, I mean show up as the 'icon' for the folder). All of the permissions are identical, just those top level catagories will not display them :?:

Ideas?
chutzler
Patron

Re: Problems with a some Folder.jpg's   

Postby karamazovapy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:52 am

From other threads I've read on here, it sounds like images don't display properly for the first two levels. As a test, try adding a parent folder that contains your entire hierarchy and see if everything displays properly.
Best Game Ever - http://www.bitfighter.org
karamazovapy
Donor

Postby carlo1973 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:50 am

I agree with the previous post. This is also mentioned on B-Rad's website.

Create a simple file/folder structure, with about 5 levels for testing.

Don't put any movies in any of the folders - you can delete this later and its only a quick test

Put only an identical folder.jpg image in each folder - from the Root folder to the last in the chain.

Go to your WDLIve Plus unit and browse to that folder.

You will notice that the parrent (root) folder has no image. The second folder probably won't have one either, but all the subsequent folders will.

Its a bug in the initial firmware from Western Digital. Hopefully either B-Rad or WD come up with a solution. The race is on, its just a matter of who beats the other to the solution lol My money is on B-Rad lol
carlo1973
Donor

Postby Harry_Y » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:58 pm

I have my "folder.jpg" files displaying all the way up.

But I have the "Media library" set to Off

I found if the Media library is ON they do not display correctly.

Hope this helps
Running Four WD TV Live + units connected via a HP ProCurve GB switch to a NASLite NAS/Server.
Harry_Y
DLX'er

Postby moonracer » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:25 am

So the two folders deep thumbnail display problem is still an issue for the WDTV Live Plus?
moonracer
WDTVer

Postby karamazovapy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:44 pm

moonracer wrote:So the two folders deep thumbnail display problem is still an issue for the WDTV Live Plus?

seems to be
Best Game Ever - http://www.bitfighter.org
karamazovapy
Donor

Postby mcarfixer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:49 am

I ran into problems with the folder.jpg's not showing up and i think it had something to do with the filesize all the ones i used Photoshop on wouldn't show until i opened and resaved them at at a lower quality (at 8 or less), or you can open them in paint and save them and it will automatically lower the quality and filesize.
mcarfixer
Donor

Postby b-rad.cc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:49 pm

moonracer wrote:So the two folders deep thumbnail display problem is still an issue for the WDTV Live Plus?

the plus completely ignores the first two levels, so no thumbs. /tmp/media/usb/xxx doesn't really exist as a legal path to the osd, all devices go to /tmp/media/usb/USB1/xxx or /tmp/media/usb/USB2/xxx. That means anything which the osd mounts is already at level 2. Eventually wdtvext will allow to circumnavigate this.
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby moonracer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:43 am

I apologize up front for being so think-headed but If I do what is recommended here and in other threads regarding this issue I can make the WD+OSD display the thumbnails but it doesn't appear to solve anything. My point is (which may be way off base so please correct me) that I still see the default/black folder image for Drama, Sci-Fi, etc but if I select on the Drama folder and I have another folder beneath it, i can then see the Drama icon folder.jpg. Not really a workaround if the only way to see my genre folder.jpgs is to drill down into a blank folder first.

Is my thinking correct here? For now I'm using UnionFS which was added to the netmounts which make it so easy to setup. Big thank you there!!

I will be purchasing a new NAS in about a month or so and I want to have separate folders for each genre due to the 450+ movies I have on several externals using NFS to access them.

I haven't made any headway in figuring out what others are doing to get around this. Below is a desc of what I have and what I've done.

Doesn't show folder.jpg of course.
k:\Sci-Fi -readonly -public -name:Sci-Fi

Does work but I still have to drill down to see the folder.jpg from within my wdtv.
k:\folder\folder\Sci-Fi\ -readonly -public -name:Sci-Fi
moonracer
WDTVer

Postby b-rad.cc » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:47 am

what some people have done is add 2 extra levels to their xmount.
so this:
xmount ip:/share label nfs

becomes this:
xmount ip:/share level1/level2/label nfs
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Next

Return to Discussion