Please make UMSP plugins actually work

Discussion, features, plugins--everything about zoster's UMSP UPnP Media Server software

Please make UMSP plugins actually work   

Postby ma » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:47 am

I have WD media player for over 6 months and I found lot of UMSP plugins not working. It may be something I am not configuring correctly but there should not be any manual configuration requirement if any. Web interface to add UMSP Plugins is easy but most of the channel won't play a video (when you select a vide you get a message saying "selected video cannot be played").

I just purchased Roku and I found it so easy to use. Each channel has a channel code, you just enter that code and press Ad Channel that and it works. No need for any configuration and anyone can do it very easily and they actually play videos or live broadcasts.

I will likely sell my WD media player and this will be likely my last post but I thought maybe something can be done to make UMSP Plugins better.
ma
n00b

Re: Please make UMSP plugins actually work   

Postby mad_ady » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:19 pm

I'm not sure about roku, but the umsp plugins have been built by members of the community and are being maintained by the community. They are usually implemented by scraping various sites and usually break when the sites change. You should post questions on each plugin's thread if it is not working, but for me, all the plugins I use work just fine (youtube subscriptions, shoutcast, etc).
Some of them may be unmaintained or left there for future reference...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby brotato » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:36 am

i think the best they can do is either mark them as dead or remove them. i primarily use wdflix and have no problem with it so i can't speak to how the rest work but i do test new ones out. no complaints from me though since full hd local media or serviio based sports streams i manually acquire will always be my preferred viewing method. this player taught me how terrible windows sharing really is compared to l/unix based NFS and how so many technology companies exploit that by bringing out higher priced higher rated bandwidth equipment that is now labeled HD or other gimmicky shtick for the uninitiated masses with the promise of properly streaming 1080p when it's all software based.

assuming i don't need the tiny amount of money that selling a wd tv can provide i'll be keeping it forever. the only media based hardware i would consider buying in the immediate future is the raspberry pi since it's in the same vein the wd tv live imo.
brotato
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:06 pm

The plan was to add usage statistics for UMSP plugins in the next firmware. The work has been done, but it hasn't yet been integrated in the svn. The plan was for any user to see what plugins are most used, so they can get a feel of what plugins are still used and which are not.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby ecah4ec » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:11 am

I will have to agree with ma. 98% of the included links don't work and I don't really see updates on the forum. It would be usefull to have a main thread as to how to handle/troubleshoot broken links or at least maintain them as they say they do. I'll have to sell my WDTV Live Plus and instead grab a Boxee which I've seen in action and it seems a lot easier to navigate through channels.

Too bad this project is dead since 2011...I guess B-rad has better things to do but thx anyway for releasing these firmware. It was fun while it lasted.
ecah4ec
n00b

Postby jomjom79 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:37 pm

ecah4ec wrote:I will have to agree with ma. 98% of the included links don't work and I don't really see updates on the forum. It would be usefull to have a main thread as to how to handle/troubleshoot broken links or at least maintain them as they say they do. I'll have to sell my WDTV Live Plus and instead grab a Boxee which I've seen in action and it seems a lot easier to navigate through channels.

Too bad this project is dead since 2011...I guess B-rad has better things to do but thx anyway for releasing these firmware. It was fun while it lasted.

Boxee box? You mean the dead media player that Boxee doesnt support anymore? Good luck.

Jomjom79
jomjom79
DLX'er

Postby recliq » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:06 am

Yeah right there's no development since 2011...
Maybe you should check the facts before talking untrue nonsense! :evil:
http://svn.wdlxtv.com/log.php?repname=UMSP&path=%2F&isdir=1&peg=0&logsearch=1&sr=894&er=1&max=100&search=&all=1
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Return to UMSP Media Server