Plugin: YouTube Subscriptions + new subscription videos

Discussion, features, plugins--everything about zoster's UMSP UPnP Media Server software

Re: Plugin: YouTube Subscriptions + new subscription videos   

Postby balthazar » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:13 pm

dan wrote:
balthazar wrote:btw I noticed you put quotes around "bad" but I just re-read this thread and the only thing I said was logging and comments were a joke. I never said the code was bad.

And you know, for pretty much my entire time writing things in PHP pretty much everyone has always said the same thing "if you want to put code out there and have people try to update it themselves rather than come pester you everytime something breaks, comment comment comment."

No, these are not exactly pentagon encryptions algorithms or NASA rover OS, but as someone looking at your code NOT being the one that wrote it I have to go line by line tracing things through three different PHP files and multiple hundreds of lines of code trying to recreate what exactly is supposed to be in the .cache file.

With some simple commenting "call helper script to parse feed info and place it into .cache file in format: x:y:z" I can spend more of my time figuring out where it breaks down and less trying to figure out what it's doing in the first place.

And again my point was: If this doesn't work...why is it included?

Are you aware of the fact that this whole project is just possible because people spend their spare time to develop the system, plugins, etc? What have you done to make the wd tv a better device?

Well, I've spent the last week trying to get up to speed and figure out the YT plugin so I could fix it. I'm sorry, between work and whatnot it WILL take me more than a week to get up to speed on this.

Two simple points where all I put forth: Does this work, if not, why include it? It needs better logging to make life for you and whomever decides to try to fix it next time it breaks easier.

And yes, this is my spare time too.
balthazar
n00b

Postby balthazar » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:15 pm

p.s.: It's 697 lines of code.

That is truly the first time I've heard someone say ~700 lines of code don't need any comments and then gave "feel free to improve the code" as a suggestion.
balthazar
n00b

Postby dan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:20 pm

like I said... go donate some bucks for this project and it will be done. reprovals wont get you anywere...
dan
Developer

Postby MoTTaFuKKa » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:32 am

I know this isnt the most contributing suggestion, but here goes:

Could you make the media library (where YouTube.png is to be read from) a writable one for wdlxtv-live firmware users ?
I made a folder called /tmp/umsp-media and linked to it instead of the localhost link to apache, and it seems to work.
If this could be implemented somehow i would be able to update from svn without editing.
(if it is possible to symlink a writable location to /usr/share/umsp/media in wdlxtv-live fw pls let me know
If for some obvious reason this isnt possible, pls let me know.
Hope you will get a working solution up and running soon, as i really like this concept.

BTW is there any rason this plugin resides in the UMSP thread, while an older version resides in the plugin section ?
(youtube-get-subscriptions is the predecessor of this one right ?)

And a litlle throwup:
I find it very weird that ppl actually diss volunteer work with smart remarks rather than coming up with usable solutions, perhaps its a lack of competence, being it human or technical. I think grattitude takes you further than attitude, and is well in place here !

Keep up the good work, and never mind the harsh criticism from ppl who doesnt understand your engagement, but i bet your above it anyway !
MoTTaFuKKa
n00b

Postby rssothy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:47 pm

Hello ,
Change this media-items.php like this and check the presence of the folder like this
/tmp/umsp-plugins/youtube-subscriptions
(Because in new firmware youtube-subscriptions has a folder for plugins)
Code: Select all
$myMediaItems[] = array(   
       'id'         => 'umsp://plugins/youtube-subscriptions/youtube-subscriptions?t='.microtime(),   #Attribute of item
       'parentID'      => '0',                     #Attribute of item
       'restricted'   => '1',                     #Attribute of item
       'dc:creator'   => 'myCreator',
       'dc:title'      => 'My YouTube Subscriptions',
       'dc:date'      => '2009-12-30',
       'upnp:author'   => 'myAuthor',
       'upnp:artist'   => 'myArtist',
       'upnp:album'   => 'myAlbum',
       'upnp:genre'   => 'myGenre',
       'upnp:length'   => '2:10:20',
       'desc'         => 'myDesc',
       'upnp:class'   => 'object.container',
       'upnp:album_art'=> '',
       'duration'      => 'myDur3',            #Attribute of res
       'size'         => 'mySize3',            #Attribute of res in bytes
       'bitrate'      => 'myBitr',            #Attribute of res
       'protocolInfo'   => '*:*:*:*',      #Attribute of res
       'resolution'   => 'myReso',            #Attribute of res
       'colorDepth'   => 'myColor',            #Attribute of res
    );

*** b-rad.cc edit: code goes in code tags ;) ***
rssothy
WDTVer

Postby balthazar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:23 pm

And a litlle throwup:
I find it very weird that ppl actually diss volunteer work with smart remarks rather than coming up with usable solutions, perhaps its a lack of competence, being it human or technical. I think grattitude takes you further than attitude, and is well in place here !

Keep up the good work, and never mind the harsh criticism from ppl who doesnt understand your engagement, but i bet your above it anyway !

Yeah "the comments/logging are a joke" is pretty harsh. I'm sure it brought him to tears. As for coming up with a workable solution, why do you think I was in this thread asking questions? And it was over a week before my first attempt to figure out how the script works and the first reply from the author.

I fixed it eventually, but considering "give some money and it will be fixed", I don't really consider this plug-in to be open source as such. If he wants to wait for people to stroke his ego or compensate him before fixing his plugin, he's going to have to get both of those things from someone else. I've donated to b-radd before btw, and will again (I rotate my donations between the various projects whose fruit I enjoy, or just think merit fiscal recognition).

700 lines of code and not a single comment that wasn't part of copied/pasted code from elsewhere (of which there were 3 I think). The log only tells you that "I ran this command", and nothing after that. I said his comments/logging were a joke (which they are) and it starts all this...jesus.
balthazar
n00b

Postby biomedica » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:19 pm

How is it possible to change the number of videos being shown on the screen? Right now, I get 20 videos from each of my subscription. However, if I go online there are more than 20 videos for some of my subscribed channels. I would like to increase that number for some channels. Can you please help me with that.

Thank you very much.
biomedica
DLX'er

Postby Kline » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:55 pm

biomedica wrote:How is it possible to change the number of videos being shown on the screen? Right now, I get 20 videos from each of my subscription. However, if I go online there are more than 20 videos for some of my subscribed channels. I would like to increase that number for some channels. Can you please help me with that.

Thank you very much.

Just giving a quick glance over the code in the first post, have you tried editing the youtube-subscription-helper.php file yet? In function function _getUserSubscriptions($YouTubeUserName, $YouTubePassword) there is a line that reads $pr = 20;, try raising that to 25 or 30 and see what happens.

No responsibility if I break you stuff :)
Live+ :: 0.4.3.2
Kline
Donor

Postby biomedica » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:04 am

Unfortunatelly it didnt work. I still need help on that.
biomedica
DLX'er

Postby Xplorer4x4 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:55 am

So from the sound of it, this is compatible with 0.4.3.1 it just needs tweaked?

Aslo, I have no write access to the /boot folder, and I seem to be missing cronjobs:
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3423/44458938.jpg
Xplorer4x4
DLX'er

PreviousNext

Return to UMSP Media Server