UMSP for other DLNA devices

Discussion, features, plugins--everything about zoster's UMSP UPnP Media Server software

UMSP for other DLNA devices   

Postby mad_ady » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:42 am

I have been working these past few months to finish a feature in UMSP - to bring the idea behind UMSPX to UMSP and allow it to broadcast its presence over LAN as well. This means the new version of UMSP will be accessible from other devices in your network such as:
* other WDTV media players (including Gen3/Hub)
* other DLNA clients (smartphones, tablets, PCs)

You should be able to use any/most UMSP plugins with other devices in your network simultaneously!

The code changes have been submitted for review and are to be merged in the svn shortly. You should be able to build a ext3/.rootFS version of the firmware to try it out.
Update: the changes have been submitted to the repository. You can use a rootFS by following the steps here: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/RootFS

Once you get the new code, you can activate it in Webend -> WDLXTV Configuration -> UMSP -> UMSP_LAN. You will need to reboot once it is active. Then UMSP should be visible on other DLNA devices in your network.

I have tested this feature with the following plugins (and have made the necessary changes so that the plugins will work with this feature):
* Youtube Subscriptions
* Apple Trailers
* Shoutcast
* BBC Podcasts
* English Russia
* 500px
* Vimeo
* Cantio

Other plugins need to be changed a bit to be compatible. A change guide is documented here: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/UMSP_plugin_development#Plugins_that_work_with_UMSP_LAN_feature
Ask the plugin developer to implement those changes if you want a specific plugin to work.

I have tested the plugins above with the following programs:
* Intel UPnP Tools -> Strangely, only sees the first enabled plugin. Otherwise seems to work
* Coherence UPnP Inspector -> Works fine, but the program insists in calling all items one level deep - This means it calls the search function even if you didn't press it, or you'll get all sorts of problems with the Sysinfo plugin because it starts executing the various scripts
* gupnp -> Works, but gupnp insists in loading the content under child containers, and it might lead to problems (with sysinfo for instance).
* XBMC -> Works fine. Doesn't display images for some reason (MediaTomb doesn't display them either).
* Conduis Pocket Player for Windows Mobile -> Works fine. Can play back audio (it is just an audio player)

I want to enlist your help to test out this feature on as many devices/programs possible. I'd like to see if the implementation is close enough to the standard and if it works as expected. I'd like volunteers to test the plugins above and report back what worked and what didn't. Let me know if:
* you can view the server (named UMSP (on $hostname))
* you can view the plugin list
* you can navigate inside the plugins listed above (other plugins might generate errors at this moment)
* you can start playback

Post back the device you have used, software version and behavior of the plugin(s).
Last edited by mad_ady on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mad_ady
Developer

Re: UMSP for other DLNA devices   

Postby Garrett Ashley » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 am

Hello friends,

Thanks for sharing your UMSP for other DLNA devices information, Really I extremely appreciated here!

Best regards
Garrett
Garrett Ashley
n00b

Postby V4lve » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:57 am

I would love to test this but no idea how to get at it.
V4lve
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:28 am

The patches have been submitted to recliq for inclusion, but are not yet in svn (there are a lot of changes to be made and it will take some time before it is done). I (or recliq) will update this thread when the changes are in the svn.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:50 pm

The patches have been included in the svn. There are detailed instructions in the first post on how to get these changes (in a rootFS) and how to enable it. Please post back if it works or not and on what devices you have tested it.

Please note that UMSP will not do transcoding of the content, so the device you are playing back on must support the video/audio format it gets.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby dorfd1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:11 pm

I downloaded the new code and created a usb stick. it won't let me enable the new feature. I can see the option in wec but nothing happens after I check nark it, save and reboot.

edit

had to telnet in and enable it using config_tool
dorfd1
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:23 pm

You probably didn't issue the chmod commands in the instructions. If sudo isn't suid root, you can't save anything from the webend: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/RootFS#...from_SVN
mad_ady
Developer

Postby nicandmih » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 am

Hi, I am unlacky today. i install from SVN 1.05.04 but when i select UMSP wdtv c.w. or wdlxtv c.c.w. stuck i have to reboot stuck again, IR from remote? low space in tmp/conf , to many plugins?
on my sam tv appear "there is no video file curently available", on th phone the same.
nicandmih
Donor

Postby mad_ady » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi Nicu,

What do you mean by c.w and c.c.w? Do you need to reboot only when accessing UMSP, or even when trying to play a local file?

On the TV/phone, do you see an entry UMSP (on bla bla)? Can you access it, and see the plugin list? Can you enter one of the supported plugins? Can you navigate inside the plugin?

You can also test with xbmc on a PC and see if it works there - to validate that everything was downloaded correctly.
Also, you can do a backup of your config, reset to factory defaults and try again to see if it crashed. You can restore your config when you are done.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby nicandmih » Tue May 01, 2012 12:34 am

Hi,
@mad_ady

-clockwise / anticlockwise
-after I reset the factory I installed cantio, stagevu, vimeo and youtube subscriptions.
I see the android on XBMC, samsung tv.I Can navigate inside you see the "umsp test", but does not work than they save but not playing anything.
WEC should be checked in both? umsp and umsp_lan or only one? icon on tv it`s wrong on the phone ok.

Code: Select all
UMSP v0.3

Send SSDP broadcast

Downloaded plugins:

Cant.io 0.2.6
    optical-drive 0.1
    StageVu 0.4.0
    Vimeo 0.2.1
    Youtube Subscriptions 0.9

To add custom media file entries edit, or create and edit, the file "/conf/umsp.php" manually.

Learn how to customize /conf/umsp.php here
    To download more plugins, click here
    To configure installed plugins, click here
    To re-download/update UMSP plugins click here

For debugging check:

MediaServerServiceDesc.xml
    check-didl.php

The above should produce valid XML files.

Not Found

The requested URL /umsp/MediaServerServiceDesc.xml was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.15 (Debian) mod_scgi/1.13 Server at 192.168.10.111 Port 80

XML Parsing Error: XML or text declaration not at start of entity
Line Number 2, Column 1:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
^
nicandmih
Donor

Next

Return to UMSP Media Server