Statistics for plugin usage

Discussion, features, plugins--everything about zoster's UMSP UPnP Media Server software

Use CENSUS and ask the users to opt-in, or use a new UMSP_CENSUS option and allow users to opt-out?

Yes, we need to respect the user privacy, even if it will cost us in precision
21%
Use CENSUS option and each plugin developer who is interested in stats should ask the users, as a courtesy to enable CENSUS in order to get stats data.
21%
No, we need to know what plugins are used, and data is being anonymized anyway.
29%
Use a new UMSP_CENSUS option and have it on by default. Instruct users in the firmware release notes to disable it if they don't agree with the data being collected. The cost in storage is a new conf variable.
29%

Total votes : 28

Re: Statistics for plugin usage   

Postby mad_ady » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:54 am

Update: I've spoken to recliq about this and he agreed in principle to host the server-side bits needed by this feature. His only concern is that having an opt-out mechanism would violate EU privacy laws, so he insists on going opt-in. Other than that he agreed with our terms and conditions :P

Regarding opt-in, I will think of a way to display it in the webend, when users want to view stats (something like "Stats are available only if UMSP_STATISTICS=ON"), but also active plugin maintainers could make a post on their threads kindly asking their users to enable UMSP_STATISTICS to help development.

I will also create a wiki page explaining what gets sent so that the users are clear with what they are sharing with us and that no private data is sent over.

I'm going to let you know how it goes :)
mad_ady
Developer

Postby kroetkroet » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:47 am

Just a wild idea (not to overcomplicate stuff lol): I understand a "global" configuration setting to opt-in, but image I have this grey-zone UMSP plugin of which I don't even want you to find out its existence (super secret NASA satellite spy dish - or let it just call: educational nature documentaries), and I do want to share with you plugin stats except for this one? Can I "filter" out census data?

TL&DR: it's not about my name, ID and driver license, it's about which plugin information.

Doable? Technically a drop-down box per plugin in webend stating: (default) Census=OFF - Census=ON

And your automated census script gathers only Census=ON stuff.
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:30 pm

Well, it ovecomplicates things :P

And the current implementation would report on usage of plugins that are not even part of the svn tree (e.g. your super secret nature documentaries that you coded for yourself and not shared). But, the IP address that you report with is not recorded (although, for the argument's sake let's say that a malicious site admin could log it as well), and the reason why I'm doing md5(eth0_mac) is to make sure to count a specific plugin usage once per user.

So, let's draw a diagram...

Code: Select all
UserA                         UserB                              Server

Enters
apple-trailers  ----------(send UDP packet)-------------> Record (apple-trailers, 1, 4bc950af5921dc...)

Enters a subfolder/
Plays a video from
apple-trailers

Enters
tronik-player   ----------(send UDP packet)-------------> Record (tronik-player, 1, 4bc950af5921dc...)

Enters a subfolder/
Plays a video from
tronik-player

Enters
apple-trailers   ----------(send UDP packet)-------------> No longer counts this record because
                                                            it's already counted

Enters apple-trailers ------(UDP)----> Record (apple-trailers, 1, aa930efb9345012...)

Enters a subfolder/
                    Plays a video from
                    apple-trailers

Enters tronik-player -------(UDP)----> Record (tronik-player, 1, aa930efb9345012...)

Enters a subfolder/
                    Plays a video from
                    tronik-player

Enters
                    apple-trailers  ------------(UDP)-----> No longer counts this record because
                                                            it's already counted

At the end of the day we will have these totals:
apple-trailers: 2
tronik-player: 2

So, the data we collect is only used to prevent counting the same plugin multiple times from the same user (if the plugin id and the md5 is the same, then it's not counted again).

So, if you want to hide a plugin from the rest of the world, you'd have to turn off UMSP_STATISTICS (or better yet, not turn it on). Otherwise we can see server side that somebody (4bc950af5921dc...) had used that plugin, without knowing who you are.

The data that is actually exposed to the end user are only the total counters. The database is used only to count and "uniq-ify" the data.

Still worried about privacy?
mad_ady
Developer

Postby kroetkroet » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:16 am

Always concerned about privacy :lol: I don't want my "super-secret-adventure-of-a-one-day-fly" plugin to appear serverside, even with my eth0-mac being hidden. Not only from privacy standpoint, but also from technical point of view: if I want to explode your DB, I only have to rename "appletrailers" to "while ($i >0) do (cp appletrailers appletralers-$i"); $i++; od... It would make sense to have a "developer approved plugin-id list" and (where my question aimed at) a "user approved plugin-id list".

Second tricky question: are you resetting the counters in your diagram on a daily basis, once a month? Personally, I'd count every time the "plugin" is launched, as it indicated it gets used a lot (meaning: if the user would loose access to it, he would be mad). If for example a user "tests" it only once in a lifetime, it is not of same "weight" than the heavy lifting user.

Just my 2 cents, not wanting to overcomplicate your life lol :mrgreen:
KK
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:28 am

Well, I'll need to check, but I think I sanitize the plugins once they are received serverside (to prevent sql-injection attacks). You're saying I should only keep plugins if they are part of the svn... Sure, that is doable (and would make sense).

For the second question the mechanism is actually this:
I keep a table of records with plugin accesses for 24h. Every 24h via cron the list gets processed, the lines get added and the totals are moved to a different table. Then the original records are deleted. Only daily sums are kept (without the md5 sums - they are not needed at this point) for more than one day.
I don't want to count a user using a plugin more than once per day because he might be doing troubleshooting/development/spamming, and could influence counters (though stats can be easily spoofed if anybody wants to). Let's say the counters represent roughly the number of users interested in that plugin/day. IMHO, a heavy user would spend more time inside the plugin, not entering and exiting the plugin multiple times anyway...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby kroetkroet » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:08 am

If it already makes sense, I'm happy :lol: Only trying to make the world a little bit better :mrgreen: Keep up the good work mate!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:44 am

I've been working on this feature. For now this is how the webend (Addons -> Addons Manager -> UMSP) area will look like (with fake data). There are color thresholds for usage data, but I need your suggestions for threshold values. Current values are:
* green -> more than 20 unique views in the last 30 days
* yellow -> between 5-19 unique views in the last 30 days
* red -> less than 5 unique views in the last 30 days

Note that a unique view happens when:
* a user has UMSP_STATISTICS=ON
* a user enters the "root directory" of a plugin
* the same user has not entered that root directory that same day

So, 5 unique views could all be made by the same user, in 5 different days, or by 5 different users in one day.

The stats will be visible only if UMSP_STATISTICS=ON. Otherwise the user gets a nice prompt asking him to turn it on.

I'll think about integrating this in the Configuration section as well...

Let me know thoughts and ideas.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby kroetkroet » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:15 am

O wait, I thought the stats would be only shared with the developer of the plugin? If it goes to the wider public, I'd say to make the stats column "filterable", so one could easily pick out the most-used plugin?

Just an idea :mrgreen:
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:51 am

Sorry, too much work to filter by stats in the webend... Hopefully the difference in colors would point out active plugins. More detailed stats (pie charts and such) can be available in a different interface (maybe fore developers only? I don't know).

And of course the usage data is public... That's the whole reason we're collecting it (and to help plugin developers)...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby recliq » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:04 pm

If we have the stats counter on the server, we can easily create a server side plugin list by stats that can be used by plugman and hence wam :ugeek:

PS: oder by stats in WAM within plugin category should be easy to implement...
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Previous

Return to UMSP Media Server