Statistics for plugin usage

Discussion, features, plugins--everything about zoster's UMSP UPnP Media Server software

Use CENSUS and ask the users to opt-in, or use a new UMSP_CENSUS option and allow users to opt-out?

Yes, we need to respect the user privacy, even if it will cost us in precision
21%
Use CENSUS option and each plugin developer who is interested in stats should ask the users, as a courtesy to enable CENSUS in order to get stats data.
21%
No, we need to know what plugins are used, and data is being anonymized anyway.
29%
Use a new UMSP_CENSUS option and have it on by default. Instruct users in the firmware release notes to disable it if they don't agree with the data being collected. The cost in storage is a new conf variable.
29%

Total votes : 28

Re: Statistics for plugin usage   

Postby DJArty » Thu May 24, 2012 4:40 am

Ok, this scheme looks like normal but why UMSP_CENSUS... ?
UMSP_CENSUS - for donators (b-rad edition "Enabling the census will register your firmware version and serial number, allowing us to get a better idea of the distribution of users and their WDLXTV version. Online updates require WDLXTV Census to be enabled.")
and e.g. UMSP_STATISTICS - for plugin usage statistics (ON by default but with a warning).
All separately.
WD TV Live (1.02.21-WDLXTV-0.4.7.3);
Please Donate PayPal to email: djartyua ( a t ) gmail (d o t) com
WebMoney: WMZ114867333413; WMU219453404899; WMR161810775332
DJArty
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Thu May 24, 2012 4:58 am

You are confusing the WDLXTV_CENSUS option which does what you said with a new independent option which I called UMSP_CENSUS. It doesn not grant anything to the end user, it just exposes information for the developers.
If UMSP_STATISTICS sounds more appropriate, I could use it, sure... Shall I change the poll again? :lol:
mad_ady
Developer

Postby DJArty » Thu May 24, 2012 12:50 pm

poll don't work correct anyway :)
todays 6 vote duplicated to 3 and 4 item..
DJArty
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Thu May 24, 2012 1:29 pm

The final implementation of this feature is the following:
* added UMSP_STATISTICS conf variable, on by default. It can be disabled in the webend under UMSP
* data is sent to fwup.wdlxtv.com - one UDP packet each time you enter the main menu of any plugin (not on submenues).
* packet contains: plugin_id|WDLXTV_TYPE|md5(MAC address)

I'll be sending the patches and extra files to b-rad for inclusion.
Thanks for the help/feedback.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:20 pm

I'm brushing off the dust from this thread to reopen discussion about inclusion of this patch in the regular firmware...

So far, the patches send a UDP packet each time a user enters a UMSP's plugin main menu. We can count those packets server-side and provide statistics for users/developers.

Apart from what has been discussed before, I think we should make the following changes:
1. The server address the statistics are being reported to should be different from existing addresses - the reason being that if we later need to decouple or turn off UMSP Statistics, we should be able to delete the DNS domain name without impacting other services. If b-rad own wdlxtv.com, he can surely create something like umsp.wdlxtv.com.
2. For most benefits, we should modify the "umsp-plugman-web info plugin-name" command to also report a usage counter. This counter could be the number of uses in the past 30 days for that plugin.
3. We should modify the web interface (addons) to display this counter next to the plugin information. This way each user could see if a plugin has had activity in the past month.

If we agree on what changes we should make official, I can include them in the next firmware release. We can modify the firmware bits at first and build the server side bits later, because firmware adoption should be slow at first...

I'm going to need feedback from current firmware developers/admins such as recliq and KAD and also firmware/UMSP contributors because I don't want to shove my idea down everyone's throats :lol:

So, should we do it?
mad_ady
Developer

Postby DJArty » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:44 am

Statistics its interesting thing.
mad_ady wrote: send a UDP packet each time a user enters a UMSP's plugin main menu.

1. Hope dont need make changes to existing plugin code? (patch on UMSP engine level)
2. server-receiver have "power" to process packets from all peoples from all main menu enters?
3. What for need to modify "umsp-plugman-web info plugin-name"?
Tnx.
DJArty
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:04 am

DJArty wrote:1. Hope dont need make changes to existing plugin code? (patch on UMSP engine level)

Yes. No changes needed for plugins. The UMSP engine will do it internally
2. server-receiver have "power" to process packets from all peoples from all main menu enters?

No idea of what volume we're speaking of. I personally think it will be much less than 1 packet/s. B-rad told me a few days ago that he still had about 13.000 requests in his firmware server from WDTVs that booted up (not sure on what time interval). But I don't think a lot of people will watch UMSP plugins and will enter the main menu. Note that selecting any subfolders/content inside a plugin will not generate a UDP packet. Also, if we send the packets to a special domain we can later delete the domain if we see the traffic is too high for the server to handle. Let's hope the ISP doesn't see that traffic as a Distributed Denial of Service attempt :)
Anyway, I chose UDP so that there is no time penalty of using TCP and 3 way handshake for that...
3. What for need to modify "umsp-plugman-web info plugin-name"?

So that we can use that command to get the statistics for each plugin. We can show them under Addon Manager, next to each plugin (like a rating). So that the user doesn't have to visit a different site to get statistics.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby DJArty » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:57 am

mad_ady wrote: will watch UMSP plugins and will enter the main menu

Hope you mean main menu inside each concrete plugin. (not main menu of UMSP server list - because its says about activated plugins only but not really used)
Think need to try. Anyway - not all peoples start to use new firmware in short time.
DJArty
Developer

Postby KAD » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:05 am

I really like the idea of modifying the web interface for plugin download to include some sort of rating

it would certainly cut down on the "I tried x plugin, can you fix it" when the plugin hasn't been maintained in years

would users be required to enable CENSUS ?

a solution to opt in statistics vs feature
might be to have the UMSP download page in webend, prompt users to enable CENSUS to see statistics

ie. user enables CENSUS on their WD, they can see stats
or
user does not enable CENSUS, they do not see stats they get message asking to enable CENSUS, but can still download plugins regardless of CENSUS enabled/disabled
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby mad_ady » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:56 am

@DjArty: yes, each main menu of each plugin, not UMSP root

@KAD: I like your idea - show plugin usage only if you're contributing stats... That would be an incentive to keep stats on :)

All I need now is a server to send stats to... recliq - can I use yours? :roll:
mad_ady
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to UMSP Media Server