USMP Plugin Released :: Sky News

Discussion, features, plugins--everything about zoster's UMSP UPnP Media Server software

USMP Plugin Released :: Sky News   

Postby danepporambo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:40 am

Sky News is a 24-hour British and international satellite television news broadcaster with an emphasis on UK and international news stories.

Download Here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jx743olmvxc13rd

Place files in :
/tmp/umsp-plugins/

Remember: MSDL is required for this channel to work
http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3077
& that the streams might take a while to load, but generally under a minute
danepporambo
WDTVer

Re: USMP Plugin Released :: Sky News   

Postby shunte » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:47 am

nice to see more folks posting content solutions

please post your plug-ins in the plug-in folder where folks can more easily find them

you've posted to a general information/request area - I know its easily done - I did the same with my first couple of plug-in :oops:

mods - could you move this post, Aag Cinema and Rock TV to the plug-in section - TIA
If you like the work I do please feel free to make a donation to the Red Cross
shunte
Developer

Postby eskay » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:54 am

Good Job.. @danepporambo.
Working on a common plugin using msd- lLive. Stream can be added by user with their preference of live content. Reason behind this is these links have very short life span, and then they change with new url.
@mad_ady:what are your thoughts :idea:
eskay
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:33 am

The best idea when handling with dynamic links is to write a proxy. You can scrape the site to get the entries for content, but you should not get the direct link to the content. Instead, when the user wants to play entry X, you send the request through your proxy, and it will then do additional scraping to get the video URL.

The benefit of this is - the clips will work even if the user has entered the UMSP page 3 hours ago and had no activity. Examples for this are Vimeo, or Youtube subscriptions. The main plugin just gets the video id, and then passes it to the proxy to get the actual video. Totaly solves the link validity issues.

@danepporambo: if you want your plugin to be added to the "official" plugin list (and allow the users to download it without extra steps), let me (or shunte, or eskay) know and we can upload it to the svn.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby danepporambo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:57 pm

@shunte: Thanks mate, i'll keep that in mind for future plugins

@eskay: That is a more feasible idea. You are right, links sometimes don't work anymore and users should be able to add their own streams easily.

@mad_ady: We need a website that updates tv stream links regularly. Would be great if someone figures out how to stream rtmp as most good tv channels like discovery or hbo are streamed in that protocol and yes could you please upload the plugins to svn. I'm not sure about Rock TV as its still not playing more than 20 seconds, perhaps when we fix it, we can put it up.
danepporambo
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:44 pm

I don't want to hijack this thread, but somebody you found a nice site with rtmp links http://www.thestreamdb.com/
Since shunte is our rtmp expert around here he can judge if it is possible to build a simple plugin around that site and use his proxy to do the decoding.

I'll be uploading Sky News to svn. If you intend to keep developing and supporting these plugins, you can PM b-rad or recliq to give you UMSP svn commit access.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby eskay » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:51 pm

shunte has developed a good plugin using rtmp in Gemist plugin. The new plugin can be created in the same line.
@danepporambo: have a look on that and use the same proxy...if required.. remember the license term of shunte :)
And congrats to joining the team of developer :D
eskay
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:36 am

@danepporambo:
I have uploaded your plugin to svn. It should be available for download shortly. I made a small change to check for msdl in pluginMain. If msdl is not found, it displays an error message (I expect people won't be reading the forum carefully and need to be reminded to follow instructions) :)

I tested your plugin, and sadly it isn't working for me. If I run the msdl command by hand, I get the binary output, as expected, but when I run it through UMSP it exits before starting to play. If I remember correctly, users of 1.02 have problems playing asf/wmv content through msdl, so it could be a firmware issue. Your plugin may only work on 1.03 or 1.05 firmwares.
Anyway, test it again to be sure.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby nicandmih » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:19 am

@danepporambo;
@mad_ady,

I have 1.05.04 wdlxtv 5.1.1, and Sky News it is working very well.

I have a question!!
it is not posible to transform this plugin in a kind of "player" configurable by wec to see more live station????
nicandmih
Donor

Postby eskay » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:38 am

nicandmih wrote:@danepporambo;
@mad_ady,

I have 1.05.04 wdlxtv 5.1.1, and Sky News it is working very well.

I have a question!!
it is not posible to transform this plugin in a kind of "player" configurable by wec to see more live station????

am yes.. it is cooking ;) like the xml of dailymotion where u can put ur link and title .
@danepporambo: if you have time, u can have a look
eskay
Developer

Next

Return to UMSP Media Server