UMSPProxy 1.0 - Virtual Machine proxy

Discussion, features, plugins--everything about zoster's UMSP UPnP Media Server software

Re: UMSPProxy 1.0 - Virtual Machine proxy   

Postby RMerlin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:27 pm

shunte wrote:rmerlin, let me know if you want the update for your bundle

I'll eventually update it, but there is no rush. Due to the download size, I don't want to update it unless there are many reason to do so (i.e. broken stuff or needed features). And I'm currently monitoring the number of downloads to gauge the real interest in this project.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby b-rad.cc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:07 pm

yeh, thats why i'd suggested a bit of auto update functionality that could download that latest proxy package from some arbitrary location.
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby blachanc » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:37 am

Quick,
and probably stupid 3 questions, but here they are:

1) How can I make the pluging (like tou.tv on the WDTV) "power-cycle resistant"
I am looking for a safe location other than /tmp

UMSP Plug-in :: Tou.tv (Experimental)
shunte wrote:
Tou.tv plug-in for Canadian TV sourced via the Tou.tv site
Code: Select all
tar xzf tou-tv.tgz
cp -fR tou-tv/* /tmp/umsp-plugins/tou-tv/

2) at this stage, would it make sense to link the wiki page in the main wiki tree ?

mad_ady wrote:I wrote a wiki page with instructions for setting up the external proxy: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/External_proxy
It should not be necessary if people are going to use the VM, but it might be helpful for people already running linux (or having access to a server).

Feel free to add corrections or extra details if needed.

P.S. The page is not yet linked to the main page

3) Rmerlin, did you make any change since "umspproxy03.zip" ?

-Ben

PS; if a new release of the virtual machine is required, maybe it would make sense to edit the default webserver page
"It works... but no content as been added, yet"
to something like:
"Rmerlin virtual machine package revision X"
blachanc
Patron

Postby mad_ady » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:01 am

1) You can copy the toutv folder to an xmount/USB drive and add a cp command to your /conf/S99user-script to copy the files to /tmp/umsp-plugins. Something like:
#!/bin/bash
#do the copy in background
(sleep 30; cd /tmp/umsp-plugins/; tar xvf /tmp/mnt/xxxx-xxxx/tou-tv.tgz )&

2) Added under Development (because the page is quite technical)
mad_ady
Developer

Postby RMerlin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:07 am

blachanc wrote:3) Rmerlin, did you make any change since "umspproxy03.zip" ?

Nothing was changed since 0.3, so you can stick to that VM.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby RMerlin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:09 am

b-rad.cc wrote:yeh, thats why i'd suggested a bit of auto update functionality that could download that latest proxy package from some arbitrary location.

wget http://wherever.i.may.roam/update/proxy.php

That would work fine. People had to login at least once to retrieve the proxy URL, they can login a second time to issue such a one-liner.

Beside, an auto-update would only be able to take care of the main proxy script. If additional requirements are needed, it would still have to be done manually, in which case a one-liner will again get the job done.

Anyway at a staggering total of 6 downloads so far, the interest in UMSPProxy seems to be fairly limited.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby shunte » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:41 pm

there are over 500 downloads on the individual plug-ins that use the external proxy not counting the YJ plug-in, for which I have no stats - so there appears to be interest in this type of setup, note I'm not concluding that from the number of hits on th YJ post that just means there are a whole bunch of pervs using the interpipes :lol:

Now I know 500 isn't great numbers but it does show interest; maybe folks that like hacking at the little set-top box aren't Windows fans :mrgreen:

If the later is the case then maybe a proxy on a Raspberry Pi B is a more applicable solution, nix that no horsepower but at $35 it'd be fun trying ;)

merlin, you put a truck load of work into this and I don't think its lost effort, at least I hope not as it validates my own :)
If you like the work I do please feel free to make a donation to the Red Cross
shunte
Developer

Postby KAD » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:37 pm

RMerlin,

don't loose heart, it's been on my list to try, and I haven't had the time,
but I do think n00bs are a bit lost at the idea of setting up a proxy

I think something along these lines open's up a lot of possibilties

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby RMerlin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:33 pm

shunte wrote:there are over 500 downloads on the individual plug-ins that use the external proxy not counting the YJ plug-in, for which I have no stats - so there appears to be interest in this type of setup, note I'm not concluding that from the number of hits on th YJ post that just means there are a whole bunch of pervs using the interpipes :lol:

Now I know 500 isn't great numbers but it does show interest; maybe folks that like hacking at the little set-top box aren't Windows fans :mrgreen:

If the later is the case then maybe a proxy on a Raspberry Pi B is a more applicable solution, nix that no horsepower but at $35 it'd be fun trying ;)

merlin, you put a truck load of work into this and I don't think its lost effort, at least I hope not as it validates my own :)

I got 6 downloads since the release last weekend. I suspect a big factor that might discourage people is the size (200+ MB), plus it requires you to learn what a VM is. It sounds freakishly technical :D

Eventually, I need to re-check what VMWare has to offer. Didn't they use to have a solution that allowed you to bundle a VM and the hypervisor all wrapped in one nice .exe? Maybe someone could write a simple HowTO that would use VMWare's Player, tho personally I think VirtualBox isn't that much harder - and it's probably even smaller to download.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby KAD » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:35 pm

It sounds freakishly technical

virtual machine :?
proxy :o

the n00bs are running for the hills, lol

I doubt, that I'll get to this for at least a week
but when I do, maybe I should write up that tutorial as well

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to UMSP Media Server