I'd like see your opinions on a unique xml file, storable in /conf that could have sections for all the UMSP plugins that need it. For example, we could have one file that could hold data for daily-podcasts, grooveshark, indiantv, dailymotion, etc, each in their respective sections. The file would have a format similar to this:
- Code: Select all
<propername>Channel - News</propername>
* new plugins don't need to add new files to /conf
* one single file is easier to manage/edit than several files
* an extension to the web interface could be built to allow easy editing + syntax checking of this file
* one file could free up additional conf variables, since the file name would be known
* One syntax error in the file will break all plugins that depend on it
* Most plugins need to be changed, and old settings would not be used (users would need to migrate their data)
* All plugins have access to the same data - could read users/passwords for other services (though they can do this right now).
The reason why I brought this up is that I'm writing a new plugin that will need it's own xml file, and creating a new file in /conf is begining to be dangerous. In the future it might not be sustainable. Plugins that just use variables under /conf/config could go on using them - no point in changing that, but plugins requiring extra (user) data might benefit from this.
So, what is your opinion on this?