New BBC Podcasts and Shoutcast compatibility issues

Discussion, features, plugins--everything about zoster's UMSP UPnP Media Server software

New BBC Podcasts and Shoutcast compatibility issues   

Postby mad_ady » Mon May 30, 2011 6:13 am

Hello everyone!

I've been working on porting the original BBC/Shoutcast plugins to the WEC framework and svn integration. Everything worked great (I've added some features to both plugins), however I have a compatibility problem that I'd like to discuss with you (and reach a decision).

If the new plugins keep the id of the old plugins (e.g. bbc and shoutcast), the new plugins will not work as long as the old plugins still exist (and they exist after each reboot since they are part of the firmware).

For shoutcast I made some changes to the proxy (I will post them when I'm ready to upload it) that will break compatibility with firmwares older than 0.4.7.0 (extra new line in funcs-log.php which breaks the proxy). So, users of older firmware versions should not attempt to use it, since it will be broken for them.

My question is the following:
Should I allocate a different/unique ID for these plugins and allow them to coexist with their old versions (which will be removed from the firmware anyway), or should I keep the old IDs and instruct the users to delete the old plugins first/upgrade to a newer firmware instead?

The first method would provide the best compatibility for everyone, but would add confusion - since the plugin names are the same. The second method has the potential to break the plugin for people not upgrading to 0.5.0, but there should be less confusion....

What should I do regarding this?
mad_ady
Developer

Re: New BBC Podcasts and Shoutcast compatibility issues   

Postby shunte » Mon May 30, 2011 6:44 am

we solved the problem a while back when the Revision3 and Apple-Trailers re-write occurred

the mechanism that UMSP uses under the hood to find a plug-in is to use the id tag, it first looks for id.php then /id/id.php

so as a patch a user has to remove the original plug-in from the UMSP folder, either by rename or a simple delete - both can be achieved via the S99user-script

stick with the original names, you'll break less that and reduce clutter and confusion

the endame solution is to remove the original plug-in implementation from the base firmware, I'm sure you have that covered
nothing should break until that happens although things may show up twice and you'll always run the original until you apply the "patch" described above

I'm not sure how you test your changes but you'd have noticed the problem from the get go through the UMSP menus
If you like the work I do please feel free to make a donation to the Red Cross
shunte
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Mon May 30, 2011 7:10 am

You're right... But there might be a great deal of confusion if the users start to configure their plugins through WEC and then they try to access them through the old link and see that their settings didn't do anything...
Furthermore, if the users access the plugin through the WEC-enabled entry, they will get the first listing from the new plugin (the plugin's main menu), but the rest will go to the old plugin (or at least this is what I found out).

This is the confusion I'm trying to address...

I'm ok with reusing the old IDs but I don't know how many support request that would generate in the long term (presuming not everybody will upgrade to 0.5.0).
mad_ady
Developer

Postby shunte » Mon May 30, 2011 8:21 am

and again we encountered and solved these problems with the rev3 and apple-trailers plug-in

check the threads for any confusion incurred when we made those updates, I think you'll find there was minimal to no noise created and we didn't need to re-invent the wheel in order to accomplish this

i just posted a workaround for those that do have issues, go ahead and broadcast it by whatever means you see appropriate - maybe add a comment to your refactoring threads
If you like the work I do please feel free to make a donation to the Red Cross
shunte
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Mon May 30, 2011 9:46 pm

Ok, you've convinced me :)

Thanks for the help!
mad_ady
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Mon May 30, 2011 11:03 pm

One more thing (It is not very relevant, but it's worth asking):

Since the new shoutcast plugin will not work on firmwares older than 0.4.7.x, how can the developer specify this in the plugin metadata? There is a
Code: Select all
# meta-basefirmware="*"

tag, but I don't remember if there is a wdlxtv firmware tag also.

I guess most UMSP plugins that will have these compatibility issues will depend on wdlxtv version instead of basefirmware version because of UMSP API changes.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby RMerlin » Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

mad_ady wrote:One more thing (It is not very relevant, but it's worth asking):

Since the new shoutcast plugin will not work on firmwares older than 0.4.7.x, how can the developer specify this in the plugin metadata? There is a
# meta-basefirmware="*"

tag, but I don't remember if there is a wdlxtv firmware tag also.

I guess most UMSP plugins that will have these compatibility issues will depend on wdlxtv version instead of basefirmware version because of UMSP API changes.

Wouldn't help either way, as I don't think these are enforced anywhere in the currently released (0.4.5.x and 0.4.7.x) versions.

One solution is to put that plugin in a separate folder than "plugins" on the SVN, so it won't be downloadable by versions older than 0.4.8.0. Might want to see with recliq and shunte how they'd like to reorganize the SVN folders in the future.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby mad_ady » Tue May 31, 2011 10:42 pm

Well, since it requires manual intervention to setup on those firmwares, I'm counting that the users will read the thread first, before complaining that it doesn't work... Of course, I might be wrong :)
mad_ady
Developer

Postby nicandmih » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:06 pm

helow,
BBC -OK
Shoutcast -No. I have this message:
Jun  1 23:35:46 WDLXTV-ad7b0 user.notice umsp-plugman-web: get: downloading freeview from Main [ OK ]
Jun  1 23:35:46 WDLXTV-ad7b0 user.warn umsp-plugman-web: get: downloading svnutils from Main [FAIL]
Jun  1 23:35:47 WDLXTV-ad7b0 user.warn umsp-plugman-web: get: downloading vdr-channels from Main [FAIL]
Jun  1 23:35:48 WDLXTV-ad7b0 user.warn umsp-plugman-web: get: downloading shoutcast from Main [FAIL]
Jun  1 23:35:51 WDLXTV-ad7b0 user.notice load.webplugin: add mt-daapd, create link and starter-icon, with icon disappear function
Jun  1 23:35:51 WDLXTV-ad7b0 user.notice load.webplugin: add daemon status and start/stop option for mt-daapd in builtin section
Jun  1 23:35:51 WDLXTV-ad7b0 user.notice load.webplugin: add umsp, create link and starter-icon

I try to edit manual tmp/conf/umsp-plugins and tmp/conf/umsp-plugins-status but nothing happend...if i ad the plugin manual it is ok but...eror llog it is empty i use 1.05.04wdlx0.4.8.0.
nicandmih
Donor

Postby mad_ady » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Hello nicandmih,

Unfortunately, that log doesn't show me anything related to shoutcast.

First of all - make sure you deleted the old plugin:
rm -f /tmp/umsp-plugins/shoutcast.*

Then, describe what doesn't work:
1. Do you get categories/radio stations when you select the plugin? (make sure you select the last Shutcast entry - you may have two - one enabled manually in /conf/umsp.php and another one enabled via WEC)
2. Can you play any radio station? (I tried with 30s -> the first station)
3. Why do you need to edit /conf/umsp-plugin-status? Can you enable the plugin via WEC, or after you click save you get the plugin disabled? If it is disabled (and this is the problem), I noticed the same thing with revision 953 last night, and it might be a bug in WEC.

If you still can't play anything, can you post the output of /var/log/php5/error_log?

The next step will be to enable debugging in the script, but we will enable it if the other methods don't work...
mad_ady
Developer

Next

Return to UMSP Media Server