UMSP "Bookmarks" / Downloading?

Discussion, features, plugins--everything about zoster's UMSP UPnP Media Server software

UMSP "Bookmarks" / Downloading?   

Postby voiper99 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi all, I was just wondering if there was a way to "bookmark" a UMSP video or download UMSP videos to an attached hard drive?

The reason why I ask is because I often see a good Rev3 video and want to show friends and family, but then cannot remember which sub folder it is in. I know there is Stream Ripper for radio stations and was wondering if there is something similar for video?

Thanks all! :)
voiper99
Donor

Re: UMSP "Bookmarks" / Downloading?   

Postby mad_ady » Tue May 24, 2011 10:44 pm

Bookmarking is a good idea, but sadly it is difficult to implement mostly because of user interface limitations (you can play a clip, but when the clip finishes, you are taken back to the same menu - can't display an extra menu like in the Youtube interface, to allow the user to bookmark, share, etc).

Some plugins allow you to use debugging at the proxy level and you can get a video id/direct URL, but you need to dig through log files to get that.

The other low tech solution is - remember the clip's name and do a search on Rev3 and forward that link.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby voiper99 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:16 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Allow me to apologize for my general lack of programming and WDTV programming knowledge in advance :P

But would it be at all possible to press a button on the remote, e.g "Eject" which takes note of the currently running UMSP URL and writes it in to a text file somewhere on an attached hard drive? If it did, would it then be possible to have a plugin which reads these text files and created the UMSP link on the fly? (In other words, instead of having all Rev3 folders appear, you'd only have the one "bookmarked" folder/video appear which you can then play).
voiper99
Donor

Postby voiper99 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:21 pm

mad_ady wrote:Some plugins allow you to use debugging at the proxy level and you can get a video id/direct URL, but you need to dig through log files to get that.

I'm probably over simplifying things here, but would a "grep" with part of the known URL work? If it would, a script should be able to do it, shouldn't it? (Note: These suggestions are coming from a complete Linux noob) :P

If not, a packet capture should work, though users would either require a hub or a switch or router which supported port mirroring. Or maybe run a proxy server on their LAN?
voiper99
Donor

Postby mad_ady » Tue May 24, 2011 11:45 pm

Don't worry, you're ideas are good, but there are some limitations:

1. The UMSP plugins can "intercept" only the following remote control buttons: Play (Enter is treated as play) and Search. These actions are bound to two functions in the plugins: _pluginMain() and _pluginSearch(). Through these functions the whole functionality is accomplished.
Currently you can't send a new (different) event to the plugin, by binding the event to the Eject key for instance because the API does not model it. I'm not sure it can model it, because that part of the OSD assumes it works with a UPnP server, and Eject would not be a valid command for such a server (while Play and Search would make sense).

2. grep-ing through debug files for known URLs would help, but you would get all the clips you viewed, not just the ones you liked. And not all plugins support this kind of logging.
Doing a packet capture would be overkill - you could do it from the wdtv, but it would also capture the traffic of the actual clip you were playing - so, not scalable.

3. If you want to save the clips - there are other limitations. Most plugins that use proxies have to do it in order to get read the media file from a dynamic link from some mirror somewhere. The problem is - this link is only valid for a short amount of time (e.g. 10-30 minutes). The proxies themselves only connect to the server and ask for the correct file, but once the file is found, they pass the contents (the video data) directly to the video process and exit immediately (they use fpassthrough() on the socket). So, you can't write this data to a file at the same time (without changes).
Your best bet is to use some external clip downloader on a PC.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby voiper99 » Wed May 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Damn you coders are good :)

Thanks for all the info and feedback.

I just have two more questions :) I'm trying to get a proper understanding of how "UMSP" works but haven't been able to find much information on the net. Are you able to give me a brief description on how they actually work?

And my final question is, how is the Stream Ripper app able to rip music streams? Judging by this thread it sounds like it would not be possible to alter it to rip video streams as well but I thought I'd ask out of curiosity.
voiper99
Donor

Postby rkpisanu » Thu May 26, 2011 12:50 am

voiper99 wrote:
I just have two more questions :) I'm trying to get a proper understanding of how "UMSP" works but haven't been able to find much information on the net. Are you able to give me a brief description on how they actually work?

This is the link in the wiki:

UMSP plugin development:
http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/UMSP_plugin_development

WDTV UMSP Crash Course:
http://rkpisanu.altervista.org/doku.php?id=wdtv:wdtv_umsp_crash_course
rkpisanu
DLX'er

Postby shunte » Mon May 30, 2011 6:52 pm

All Rev3 video allow online browsing as well as download of specific shows - I've a hard drive full of Pixel Perfect as proof ;)

I've published test-rigs for the UMSP plug-ins on multiple occasions and these can be used to spool the rendered items to a file where they can then be further manipulated, e.g. for every [res] => line found substitute wget and download the content

You could do that yourself in an editor and create your own script - becoming as proficient as the developers on the forum ;)

Several of the xbmc extensions are in script form that download content for later viewing, you could very easily take a UMSP plug-in and convert to perform a similar function using the wget utility

Give it Google and get yer code on dude, it really isn't that difficult - give it a go and post your results on the forum

You'll definitely be less impressed when you see how easy it is :)
If you like the work I do please feel free to make a donation to the Red Cross
shunte
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Mon May 30, 2011 9:53 pm

Great idea shunte!

Having a separate plugin to call any other plugin and download the file instead of playing it should be feasible and would not be limited in terms of navigation...

The only "problem" would be in order to bookmark/play a clip you would need to exit the plugin you viewed the clip from, enter the Bookmark (or Download) plugin and navigate back to the clip and select the file again, so that the plugin can process it...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby voiper99 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:02 pm

shunte wrote:All Rev3 video allow online browsing as well as download of specific shows - I've a hard drive full of Pixel Perfect as proof ;)

Cool :)

shunte wrote:I've published test-rigs for the UMSP plug-ins on multiple occasions and these can be used to spool the rendered items to a file where they can then be further manipulated, e.g. for every [res] => line found substitute wget and download the content

Interesting. Do you have a link that I can look at?

shunte wrote:You could do that yourself in an editor and create your own script - becoming as proficient as the developers on the forum ;)

OK you've thrown down the challenge and I shall except! :) As per my question above, if you could give me a link or two to the work you've already done, it would give me an idea of what exactly is required and how to go about things.

I have tried to code many times before and find the way that works for me best is by looking at examples and mashing everything together until I can get it to do what I want.

shunte wrote:Several of the xbmc extensions are in script form that download content for later viewing, you could very easily take a UMSP plug-in and convert to perform a similar function using the wget utility

Great, thanks for the info. I will take a look and see what I can find.

shunte wrote:Give it Google and get yer code on dude, it really isn't that difficult - give it a go and post your results on the forum

The problem is that I don't know what exactly to look for. I am familiar with the wget command and now thanks to mad_ady's two links above I have a lot of UMSP information, but I don't know if this will be enough to write a plugin that does what I want it to do. Having said that, it won't hurt to try :)

shunte wrote:You'll definitely be less impressed when you see how easy it is :)

I don't know about that. As per my above comment, I have tried to code quite a few times before and have never been as successful as I'd like. Lucky for me though, PHP has always been my code of choice :)
voiper99
Donor

Next

Return to UMSP Media Server