UMSP plugin to access my hard drive remotely

Discussion, features, plugins--everything about zoster's UMSP UPnP Media Server software

UMSP plugin to access my hard drive remotely   

Postby biomedica » Fri May 20, 2011 10:16 am

Hi everyone,

Sometimes, I have my laptop at work which has a fix IP address. I have my external hard drive connected there and I would love to be at home and be able to go in the WDTV box and access my files remotely. I can install some kind of server on my windows xp which allow remote connections from the exterior. Please let me know if anyone has attempted to do something like this. Also, the same would apply for having like a remote server such as a cloud or ftp server somewhere else. Let me know.

Thanks
biomedica
DLX'er

Re: UMSP plugin to access my hard drive remotely   

Postby mad_ady » Sat May 21, 2011 1:23 am

If you have a remote server, you don't need UMSP to access your files.
There are several methods to share your files and I'll rate them in the order of preference:
1. Build a VPN (OpenVPN) between your WDTV and your laptop. There's a vpn app for wdtv, but you wil need to follow some openvpn tutorial to set it up. The advantage will be it will act as a direct link between the two devices, and is encrypted, over the Internet. You can then use Samba or NFS for regular file sharing.
2. Install openssh on your windows PC and xmount your drives with sshfs
3. Install a ftp server on your windows pc and xmount your drives with ftpfs (but the traffic will not be encrypted!)
4. Use NFS over internet to mount your drives (again, no encryption)

It's a networking issue, so for more details look it up in networking forums.
mad_ady
Developer

Re: UMSP plugin to access my hard drive remotely   

Postby biomedica » Mon May 23, 2011 11:41 am

Thanks. I will try one of these options.
biomedica
DLX'er

Return to UMSP Media Server