UMSP plugin order

Discussion, features, plugins--everything about zoster's UMSP UPnP Media Server software

UMSP plugin order   

Postby mad_ady » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:02 am

Hello all,

I've poked my nose inside /conf/umsp-plugins-status and I noticed that here we have the plugins stored and whether they are enabled or not. I'm too lazy to look through the WEC code, but I suspect the order in this file is the same order the plugins are shown on the OSD (they seem to match for me).

I'd like to know what would be the most elegant (simple+easy to use) way to add a sorting control inside WEC to allow the users to customize the order they get their plugins.

Being a huge UMSP fan I have about 20 plugins configured and their order is beginning to be a bigger deal.

So, what's your opinion on this feature?
mad_ady
Developer

Re: UMSP plugin order   

Postby RMerlin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:12 am

Unpacking that archive after downloading anything from SVN would make sense.

This would probably belong to the new umsp-plugman tool that recliq is writing, since everything will rely on it afterward (UMSP init script, WEC's forced update, and WAM).
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby mad_ady » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:31 am

Is there a specific thread about this new plugin/framework that I missed, or should we discuss it here?
mad_ady
Developer

Postby RMerlin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:03 am

Talking to recliq about this right now to make sure he knows about it.

WAM discussions are all carried out on the Beta forum test.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby mad_ady » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks, that's why I missed it - it's not part of my RSS feed since it requires authentication...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby shunte » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:46 pm

for clarification the order of the plug-ins in the serialized dataset is the same as the order displayed on the WD UI with a couple of caveats

the collection is built out in the order that you activate a plug-in, so there can be additional entries contained within the file not displayed on your UI, re-enable and they'll magically appear in their original position. The BBC, DVD Drive, and Shoutcast plug-in are not defined in the file as you don't activate these - they appear by default.

So for additional clarification, activated plug-ins have their status written to the file.

the OSD is using his file as is my maintenance plug-in, the version you'll find deactivated in SVN as well as the phoenix version currently undergoing re-factoring to be launched along with WAM

I mention the plug-in code in SVN because there may be useful code already there that can help reqlic along with development, apologies for laboring the point as I'm sure this has probably come up in conversation before.
If you like the work I do please feel free to make a donation to the Red Cross
shunte
Developer

Postby PaulF » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:30 pm

mad_ady wrote:Thanks, that's why I missed it - it's not part of my RSS feed since it requires authentication...
I get the beta forum with Smartfeed. The RSS link Smartfeed generates for you must include your password because when I changed my PW, I had to get a new RSS link.
PaulF
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:44 am

@shunte, @RMerlin: So, if I were to add a small javascript control in WEC that would allow users to manually sort the plugins according to their needs (just before the array is serialized) it wouldn't hurt or inconvenience anyone, right? I hope to have something working in a week or so...

Just wanted to know if I can rely on it in the future, because I had heard there were changes announced...

@PaulF: Thanks for the tip - I will give it a try
mad_ady
Developer

Postby RMerlin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:38 am

mad_ady wrote:@shunte, @RMerlin: So, if I were to add a small javascript control in WEC that would allow users to manually sort the plugins according to their needs (just before the array is serialized) it wouldn't hurt or inconvenience anyone, right? I hope to have something working in a week or so...

Just wanted to know if I can rely on it in the future, because I had heard there were changes announced...

@PaulF: Thanks for the tip - I will give it a try

Sorry, I thought the original discussion was about SVN overwriting tarballed UMSP plugins.

The UMSP page is generated by the main WEC engine, so you can't play with custom UI elements there. The cleanest way would be to have UMSP itself do an alphabetical sort when loading its list of available plugins.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby mad_ady » Sun May 01, 2011 8:10 am

Hmmm, alphabetical sort might not be the most flexible. I am sure most users who will want to sort their data will do it in a way that their favorite plugins are the most easily accessible via the remote.

I will think about it some more (maybe take a peak inside WEC).

One more thing. You are saying the data on the UMSP page is dynamically generated from plugin_wec.php. If I were to create a dummy plugin with just a plugin_wec.php file, and add my sort selector there and some trigger, I should be able to trick it into working.
Such a dummy plugin would be useful also for adding "global" settings used for more than one UMSP plugin (currently the "PROXY_LED" variable is used by Youtube-subscriptions, Vimeo and the restricted plugins, but appears only on Youtube-Subscription's section).

Would this approach be reasonable?
mad_ady
Developer

Next

Return to UMSP Media Server