help with SVN

Discussion, features, plugins--everything about zoster's UMSP UPnP Media Server software

help with SVN   

Postby freestyledork » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:17 pm

I made changes to the YouTube-Subscriptions plugin and it works fine when I replace the file. After I reboot the system the file seems to be changed back to the original. I've done some looking around and found out that this is caused by something called "SVN". I'm not sure what this stands for but is there a way to disable it to prevent auto updates?
freestyledork
n00b

Re: help with SVN   

Postby mad_ady » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:45 am

SVN is
Subversion is an open source version control system. Founded in 2000 by CollabNet, Inc., the Subversion project and software have seen incredible success over the past decade. Subversion has enjoyed and continues to enjoy widespread adoption in both the open source arena and the corporate world.

Basically it allows delevopers to "merge" their changes with a central code repository. This repository keeps also the older versions of the code and allows easy rollback to a previous version.

The way the UMSP plugins are currently designed is to download (through svn) the latest version of the plugins into /tmp/umsp-plugins. As you may know /tmp is a ramdrive and is lost on every reboot. Some older plugins were included in the firmware but because of frequent plugin updates, automatic svn update was chosen as the best way to keep people synchonized with the current version.

There are two solutions for your problem:
1. If the changes are specific to your case, you can add the changed files to /conf/umsp-plugins.tgz and they will be automatically decompressed in /tmp/umsp-plugins on reboot (I don't remember if they are decompressed before or after svn update, but you can try). Examples on how to add them to the archive are found here: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Restricted_plugins#Configuration_-_for_firmwares_based_on_0.4.5.x_and_older
2. If the changes are beneficial to everybody (new feature or bug fix), you should contact the plugin maintainer (me in your case :P) to include them in the svn.

To a forum moderator: you can move this under UMSP.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby freestyledork » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks for your reply. The benefit I would assume would only be on my end. I have some videos on an absolute path that I wanted to add to a playlist without uploading to you tube. I have it working but only after I FTP and change the files after every reboot. Ill try what you suggested first.

Thanks for your help.
freestyledork
n00b

Postby freestyledork » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:06 pm

I tired adding them to the archive and it still loaded the SVN version last. Is there anyway to disable the SVN all together?
or maybe I could change the name of your plugin and have it decompressed from the archive. I'm not very familiar with php but I'm sure I could figure it out with some guidance.
freestyledork
n00b

Postby freestyledork » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:36 pm

update. I was able to change the name of the plugin and mount it on boot up with a different name. Then I used UMSP.php to load that specific plugin. It worked Thanks for your help!
freestyledork
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:49 pm

Did you change just the plugin folder name, or did you also change the umsp://plugin-name/ references inside the files?

If you didn't change the references inside, I think you will get redirected to the original plugin when you start to navigate.

@UMSP maintainers: *** Recommended change to UMSP svn handling -> decompress /conf/umsp-plugins.tgz after getting svn to allow override ***
mad_ady
Developer

Postby freestyledork » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:14 am

I changed the folder name and all the references within the files to match. Tested it on multiple reboots and it works.. Now for my specific want, I would like to have the playlist auto update at boot via cron then instead of having all the folders for favorites just have the playlist videos. So UMSP --> Youtube-subscriptions --> playlist videos (items)

Possible? I would ultimately like to link to the playlist folder in the root menu but as of now linking or shortcuts to UMSP are not possible.
freestyledork
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:39 am

It should be possible.

Have you tried the suggestions here?
http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=713&start=150#p33645
mad_ady
Developer

Postby freestyledork » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:42 am

Working on it now.. I'm looking into setting the cron to refresh on boot up. aside from using the search bar where can I find instructions on how to do so?
freestyledork
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:52 am

Look here: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Youtube_subscriptions#Configuration
Also, check out the Troubleshooting section in the article on how to enable cron.

Good luck
mad_ady
Developer

Next

Return to UMSP Media Server