UMSPExtra: OSD enhancements for UMSP

The WDTVExt plugin depot. Plugins/libraries/code only

UMSPExtra: OSD enhancements for UMSP   

Postby mad_ady » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:04 am

UMSPExtra

Introduction:
I'm an avvid user of UMSP and its plugins, but I am somewhat annoyed at the fact that the OSD is pretty bland and boring. You just get a clip name and some album art (if you're not browsing in list mode) and no other information. Well, a few months ago I set to change that and allow more information to be shown onscreen.
There were changes made to UMSP in order to expose this information (via the UMSP_LAN patch), and a WDTVExt plugin (UMSPExtra) to show this information onscreen. This thread details how this integration is done.

Prerequisites - without these, the plugin will do nothing!
* UMSP version 0.2 or higher - at the time of this post, it is NOT included in any flashable firmware! It will be included in firmware versions greater than 0.5.1.4, but currently you will need to boot the SVN version of the firmware!
* WDTVExt enabled - tested on base 1.02 and 1.05 and it's working!

How it works:
Each time you navigate inside UMSP (e.g. Select a plugin, select a container, move to a new page of items), the UMSP code writes an XML file with the current items that were gathered and returned to DMAOSD in /tmp/umsp-current-didl.xml (and keeps a copy of the previous file in /tmp/umsp-previous-didl.xml).
The WDTVExt plugin adds the currently selected OSD template to the current page (for media listing pages) and on key presses searches for the currently selected item (by name) in the UMSP XML files. When it finds the first match, it returns some of the plugin's metadata for processing.
The processing part of the plugin displays onscreen the album art, item name and item description, according to the design in the template.

Simple, right?

Installation:
You can get the plugin from the SVN repository (http://svn.wdlxtv.com/listing.php?repname=wdtvext-plugins&path=%2FUMSPExtra%2F&#a3074fff107db717e16bdbba182c31dde). On the WDTV, you can navigate to WDTVExt Plugins -> Download -> UMSPExtra and enable it from there.

Configuration options:
Before the plugin works, you will need to select a template for it. This OSD Template defines the positions of the icons and text in order to fit your screen/OSD mod. I have included several simple templates that are suited for viewing items in MSHEETMODE='wall' mode. Other modes will require other templates, so contributions are welcome!.
The configuration can be done via WEC in WDLXTV Config -> WDTVExt Plugins -> UMSP Extra or via telnet/ssh. The config options are:
* UMSPEXTRA_DEBUG: the debug level for logging messages. A value of 0 disables debugging messages, 5 gets you informational messages, and 10 gets you debugging level. All logging goes to /tmp/dmaosd.log.
* UMSPEXTRA_TEMPLATE: Select from the drop down list the template you want to use. Template files and images are saved in your USB drive/.wdtvext-plugins/UMSPExtra/templates/. Available templates are discussed in the next post.

You need to reboot or reload the plugin (OSD -> WDTVExt plugins -> Reload -> UMSPExtra) for changes to take effect.

Changelog
v0.1 - Initial release

Information for UMSP plugin developers:
By default (if using UMSP v0.2 or later), if your plugin items return just album_art, UMSPExtra will display it on screen (so there is some added value for all current plugins). To add a description field, you will need to return a 'desc' field with the desired text with your plugin. You can also add a 'background' field and point it to an image that will be displayed on background, but depending on the speed of the network, it will probably slow down navigation for the end user - so use with caution. If you do not provide album_art, the plugin can draw some generic items (based on the template). UMSP plugins can't override the template's generic items, but can set album_art and have that displayed.

Here are some examples, and the images they produce:

UMSP Examples:
1. A container with no album_art, but with description and background set:
Code: Select all
$myMediaItems[] = array(
  'id'         => "umsp://test1",
  'dc:title'   => 'Test 1 generic container',
  'upnp:class' => 'object.container',
  'desc'       => 'This is a generic container that has a description and background set, but it has no album_art. The image resolution is not the ideal 1280x720, but it is streched to fit...',
  'background' => 'http://pcdn.500px.net/20342965/8e82b43c7bdd521709d283ccd6d43c644899ad4a/4.jpg',
); 

... will look similar to this (the folder image is set in the currently used template):

2. An image item with no album_art, but with description and background set:
$myMediaItems[] = array(
  'id'         => "umsp://test2",
  'dc:title'   => 'Test 2 generic image',
  'upnp:class' => 'object.item.imageItem',
  'desc'       => 'This is an imageItem with a background of 1280x720. Images must be lower than 500KB.',
  'res'        => 'file:///tmp/image.png',
  'background' => 'http://techkaps.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/1280x720_hd_wallpaper_123_zixpkcom.jpg',
); 

... will look like this (the 'image' image is set in the currently used template):

3. A video item with no album_art and background, but with a ridiculously long description:
$myMediaItems[] = array(
  'id'         => "umsp://test3",
  'dc:title'   => 'Test 3 generic video',
  'upnp:class' => 'object.item.videoItem',
  'desc'       => 'This description is really long. I mean, it spans over several lines. DMAOSD will handle the rendering onscreen, and there is little I can do to influence it. However, it should display enough text onscreen to be helpful.
  You can have new lines in the text, but DMAOSD will ignore them... Right now, this template is set to display 12 lines of text. The rest of the text will be truncated, so, in theory you don\'t need to worry about the description length...',
  'res'        => 'file:///tmp/video.avi',
);

... will look like this (the video image is set in the currently used template):

4. An audio item with no album_art, no background and no description:
$myMediaItems[] = array(
  'id'         => "umsp://test4",
  'dc:title'   => 'Test 4 generic audio',
  'upnp:class' => 'object.item.audioItem',
  'res' => 'file:///tmp/audio.mp3',
); 

...will look like this (the 'audio' image is set in the currently used template):

5. A regular plugin, with album_art and description, but no background:

Information for template themers:
You can create new templates to better suite your viewing style. The template consists of an XML file that is integrated directly into the OSD (OSD modders will recognize it), and optionally some images for items with no album_art:
demo.png                    -> an optional screenshot of the template in action. Not used by the code.
object.container.png        -> an image shown when a folder/container has no album art set
object.item.audioItem.png   -> an image shown when an audio item has no album art set
object.item.imageItem.png   -> an image shown when an image item has no album art set
object.item.videoItem.png   -> an image shown when a video item has no album art set
simple-wall.xml             -> the actual template file that defines where everything is onscreen

Each template must resize in its own folder under /tmp/wdtvext-plugins/UMSPExtra/templates/ (it is actually saved to your USB drive under .wdtvext-plugins/UMSPExtra/templates/). Once the folder and XML file are in place, they will be picked up in WEC and you can select the template to be used (files and directories must be world-readable!).
Each change in the template (in the XML file) will require you to reload the UMSP plugin or to reboot the WDTV for the changes to take effect.

Sample template:
The following code is taken from the "simple-wall" template:
<wrapper>
     <image x="0" y="0" w="1280" h="720" image="@@umsp_extra_background" bg="1" scale="100" scale_type="fixratio" />
     <text text="@@umsp_extra_title" x="10" y="10" w="1260" h="100" textcolor="0xe2e2e2" align="center" fontsize="40" numlines="2"/>
     <image image="@@umsp_extra_album_art" x="766" y="141" w="465" h="247" scale="100" scale_type="fixratio" />
     <text text="@@umsp_extra_desc" x="766" y="390" w="490" h="343" textcolor="0xe2e2e2" align="left" fontsize="30" numlines="12"/>
</wrapper>

I will not go into detail on what x, y, w, h stand for - these should be known to OSD modders (or you can easily experiment with them), but there are a few variables used by the script to set the data:
* @@umsp_extra_background is mapped to the UMSP attribute "background" and if it is set, it will display a background (in this case - it is shown fullscreen and streched)
* @@umsp_extra_title is mapped to the UMSP attribute "dc:title" (actually it is taken directly from DMAOSD) and displays the title of the selected item. In this case it is written in a large font, on two lines.
* @@umsp_extra_album_art is mapped to the UMSP attribute "upnp:album_art". In this case it is shown scaled, at a certain position on the page
* @@umsp_extra_desc is mapped to the UMSP attribute "desc". In this case it is shown with a font size 30 on maximum 12 lines.

In your template you can use only part of these items (for instance, you only want to show description, but not album_art) or experiment how ever you like.

Screenshots
The screenshot gallery is here: http://imgur.com/a/7feOq#0

Problems, bugs and limitations
* The plugin relies on the existence of /tmp/umsp-current-didl.xml and /tmp/umsp-previous-didl.xml. These files hold the currently displayed values and the previous values and are continuosly generated by UMSP as you navigate around. The problem is DMAOSD uses an internal caching mechanism and if you return to a previous page, it no longer requests data from UMSP. This means that the plugin will display the metadata while navigating "forward", but will not display much when hitting the "back" button multiple times. I added a one-page history that helps in navigation, but if you need to go back more than one page (or if you navigate past the 65 items mark DMAOSD will consider it a new page) you will loose the metadata. Adding more history levels is possible, but it would slow down navigation, so I didn't do it.
*It doesn't currently work on 1.05-dev. I will work on it.. It does work on 1.05-dev (instructions on updated recliq's root.bin here: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6848&p=64039#p64039
* The plugin assumes that the album_art and background are URLs and will try to download them with wget. This generates two problems:
* wget will timeout after 1 second if it can't connect to the server, but it might take it a while to download the image from a slow server. During this time, the OSD is frozen.
* if the attribute is not a URL and is a path to a file, it will not work - let me know if it's the case and I'll add support for files as well.

Debugging:
In order to troubleshoot the problems or work on a template, you may need to turn on debugging. Do so with the UMSPEXTRA_DEBUG variable as explained above. You will also need to have DMAOSD_DEBUG enabled. Logging goes to /tmp/dmaosd.log and looks like this:
root@Deneb:/root# grep UMSPExtra /tmp/dmaosd.log
    /tmp/wdtvext-plugins/UMSPExtra/UMSPExtra.plugin.js
UMSPExtra: Start loading UMSPExtra plugin...
UMSPExtra: Creating new Plugin()
UMSPExtra: Assigning constructor...
UMSPExtra: Before findSelectedMedia definition
UMSPExtra: Before onPageCreated
UMSPExtra: Before onPageKey definition
UMSPExtra: Creating new instance
UMSPExtra: [constructor]: About to parse the template
UMSPExtra: [constructor]: Using template file /tmp/wdtvext-plugins/UMSPExtra/templates/simple-wall-overscan/simple-wall-overscan.xml
UMSPExtra: [constructor]: Created new File object
UMSPExtra: [constructor]: Reading template file
UMSPExtra: [constructor]: Closed template file
UMSPExtra: [constructor]: Parsed template xml
UMSPExtra: [constructor]: plugin path: /tmp/wdtvext-plugins/UMSPExtra/
UMSPExtra: [constructor]: debug level: 10
UMSPExtra:   added WEC plugin.
UMSPExtra: [constructor]: finished execution
UMSPExtra: Registering new plugin
UMSPExtra: End loading UMSPExtra plugin.
UMSPExtra: => [onPageCreated]
UMSPExtra: <= [onPageCreated]
UMSPExtra: [onPageKey] Key: 41
UMSPExtra: [onPageKey] Key: 33
UMSPExtra: [onPageKey] Key: 35
UMSPExtra: [onPageKey] Key: 33
UMSPExtra:    [onPageCreated] page: basic_browse.xml
UMSPExtra:    [onPageCreated] added extra content.
UMSPExtra: [onPageKey] Key: 38
UMSPExtra: [onPageKey] Key: 1
UMSPExtra: Selected entry is Test 1 generic container, path is ***
UMSPExtra: [findSelectedMedia] title: Test 1 generic container
UMSPExtra: [findSelectedMedia] looking at file /tmp/umsp-current-didl.xml
UMSPExtra: [findSelectedMedia] loading file /tmp/umsp-current-didl.xml (12119 bytes)
UMSPExtra: [findSelectedMedia] parsed xml
UMSPExtra: [findSelectedMedia] # of containers:29, # of items:3
UMSPExtra: [findSelectedMedia] search result: desc: This is a generic container that has a description and background set, but it has no album_art. The image resolution is not the ideal 1280x720, but it is streched to fit..., class: object.container, album art:
UMSPExtra: Downloading background http://pcdn.500px.net/20342965/8e82b43c7bdd521709d283ccd6d43c644899ad4a/4.jpg
UMSPExtra: Unable to find album art. Searching for a generic media file:/tmp/wdtvext-plugins/UMSPExtra/templates/simple-wall-overscan/object.container.png
UMSPExtra: Finished searching the selected media
UMSPExtra: [onPageKey] Key: 35
UMSPExtra: Selected entry is Test 2 generic image, path is ***
UMSPExtra: [findSelectedMedia] title: Test 2 generic image
UMSPExtra: [findSelectedMedia] loading file /tmp/umsp-current-didl.xml (12119 bytes)
UMSPExtra: [findSelectedMedia] search result: desc: This is an imageItem with a background of 1280x720. Images must be lower than 500KB., class: object.item.imageItem, album art:
UMSPExtra: Downloading background http://techkaps.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/1280x720_hd_wallpaper_123_zixpkcom.jpg
UMSPExtra: Unable to find album art. Searching for a generic media file:/tmp/wdtvext-plugins/UMSPExtra/templates/simple-wall-overscan/object.item.imageItem.png
UMSPExtra: [onPageKey] Key: 137
UMSPExtra: Selected entry is Test 2 generic image, path is ***
UMSPExtra: [findSelectedMedia] title: Test 2 generic image
UMSPExtra: [findSelectedMedia] search result: desc: This is an imageItem with a background of 1280x720. Images must be lower than 500KB., class: object.item.imageItem, album art:
UMSPExtra: Downloading background http://techkaps.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/1280x720_hd_wallpaper_123_zixpkcom.jpg
UMSPExtra: Unable to find album art. Searching for a generic media file:/tmp/wdtvext-plugins/UMSPExtra/templates/simple-wall-overscan/object.item.imageItem.png
UMSPExtra:    [onPageCreated] page: video_ex_playing.xml
UMSPExtra:    [onPageCreated] added extra content.

I hope you will enjoy this plugin and if anybody creates new templates, PM me and I will add them to the repository for easy distribution.

Special thanks to recliq for his help during the development of this plugin!
Last edited by mad_ady on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mad_ady
Developer

Re: UMSPExtra: OSD enhancements for UMSP   

Postby mad_ady » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:10 am

Here are some screenshots from the currently available templates:

1. simple-wall: designed for MSHEETMODE='wall' view, list mode

2. simple-wall-overscan: designed for MSHEETMODE='wall' view, but with margins tweaked for TVs with overscan

3. simple-wall-icons: designed for MSHEETMODE='wall' view, icon mode

4. simple-wall-icons-overscan: designed for MSHEETMODE='wall' view, icon mode, but with margins tweaked for TVs with overscan
mad_ady
Developer

Postby DJArty » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:49 am

Looking good (general that as an extended MSHEETMODE Wall) , but some IMHO:
1)Main thing its contact with pibos about finalize WDTVExt for 1.05.. Asking many times ..but no news.
2)Many peoples don't like if any USB stick inserted into the WD.. Why exactly WDTVExt need usb folder and not just use /tmp/..... (question to WDTVExt - not this enhancement).
3)(from 2) MSHHETMODE working out of the box - only WEC config flag needed so may be better way integrate main part (with 2-3 temlates) to firmware and only other templates via WDTVExt onscreen menu engine. Or even possibility to use concrete templates with concrete UMSP plugins if author need some special template. For many people hard to understand how to make screen like this via all this steps.
4)Need some config key for automatically turn main screen of UMSP plugins to icon mode as more comfortable. (UMSP 2.0 related)
5)"Back" problem its really problem )
6)What if description need really long? Now its done via many strings.. so need break to some strings to? (may be autoscroll.. :o) )
7) ...forgot ...
WD TV Live (1.02.21-WDLXTV-0.4.7.3);
Please Donate PayPal to email: djartyua ( a t ) gmail (d o t) com
WebMoney: WMZ114867333413; WMU219453404899; WMR161810775332
DJArty
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:58 am

I knew you'd be interested :lol:

1. Yes, I agree - support for 1.05 is a must. I'll probably try to contact pibos again once we have a firmware based on 1.06. Presumably WD has fixed a lot of things in this yet unreleased firmware. It might be worth it to port wdtvext to it instead of 1.05. It should be easier to port anyway since it's based on directfb, like 1.05.
2. Historical reason maybe? This question/enhancement should probably be discussed in a different thread (e.g. the plugins could be automatically downloaded like UMSP plugins).
3. I thought about this for a while, but I chose to leave it independent of any MSHEETMODE flag. The reason is because you may enable moviesheets only for Videos (Video -> Media Servers -> UMSP), or you may not have moviesheets enabled at all. I figured I would let the user decide how the display will look. If there is an easier way to integrate it with moviesheets and have everybody happy, I'm up for suggestions... But, despite all the text in my first post, the user just enables the plugin in the OSD, then selects the desired template in WEC, reboots and is good to go.
4. I'm not sure, but I think it gets saved as a variable in /conf. Would have to check a diff between each setting to isolate it, but I'm too lazy. The problem is - if you were to change it from UMSP, you would have to force DMAOSD to re-read it. I'm guessing DMAOSD will ignore it until the next reboot. Contact Markster - I think he did some DMAOSD tweaks that might help.
5. Yes, I know... But saving a long list of history files is not efficient either. I'm guessing most users will go forward anyway.
6. Actually the description is one string. DMAOSD handles the way it is displayed. You can specify the font size and the number of lines in the template, but you can't control it from the UMSP side (maybe the template doesn't display any description at all!). There might be a flag to have it autoscroll - but I doubt it will work on multiline entries. (P.S. One of the reasons I started this project was to be able to read the whole title of an entry without waiting for it to autoscroll. It drove me mad!)
7. It will come to you... :lol:
mad_ady
Developer

Postby jomjom79 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:07 am

Looks promising!

As you im not too enthusiastic about how UMSP`s look today, i mean it is practical and does its job but it looks very simplistic.
I will definitely try this once wdtvext is out for 1.05.

Jomjom79
jomjom79
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:48 am

Here's an example why having a larger than 2 history is inpractical: Suppose your plugin creates a container for each file it wants to play and you have this "tree":
Main Menu
|- Container for video 1
|      |- Video 1
|- Container for video 2
|      |- Video 2
|- Container for video 3
|      |- Video 3

The user enters the main menu and can view the album art for each item. This is fine.
The user enters in Container for video 1. He can view the album art for Video 1 (and play video 1). The umsp-previous-didl.xml file will contain the metadata for the main menu. The user pushes back on the remote and returns to Main Menu. He can still view the metadata since it is read from umsp-previous-didl.xml. The user enters Container for video 2. He can see the metadata for video 2. umsp-previous-didl.xml will now contain the previous metadata requested - which is the one for video 1!. When the user presses back on the remote he will get no more metadata in the main menu...

If you were to increase the history level to 5 or 10, you would just postpone the inevitable, so I don't have any reliable way of defeating this caching done by DMAOSD...

Update: I managed to test it on 1.05-dev and it's working just fine! :mrgreen: Instructions on updating the 1.05-dev root.bin by recliq to be able to use the plugin are here: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6848&p=64039#p64039
mad_ady
Developer

Postby KAD » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 am

I'll be interested to look at the code you've done up on this,

but just initially, I'm wondering why we don't use WDTVext to force redraw the page,
it doesn't matter what DMAOSD cache's if we redraw the page

edit: if we force redraw, then the page should always use the current xml, not previous
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby recliq » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:54 am

KAD wrote:edit: if we force redraw, then the page should always use the current xml, not previous

It's been a while but I think this doesn't work. Page redraw does what it says - it just redraws the screen (and displays variables that changed etc) BUT it does not 'reload' the xml. It's not possible to dynamically change the page content (xml) - AFAIR(!).

:ugeek:

EDIT/PS: But please try this, I may be wrong... :mrgreen:
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby KAD » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:00 am

that may be the case, it will be interesting to try

so the other way to do it
would be create variables in onpagecreated to hold the xml data

and on key press updatexmldata, can read the xml data and update the variables
either way, I think this is solvable :)
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby mad_ady » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:46 am

Wait, we're talking about two different caches :)
You are referring to the xml/image cache, I am talking about the UPNP cached responses. For instance, in the navigation example above, when the user presses Back on the remote, DMAOSD will no longer make a UPNP request to UMSP to get the Main Page. This is because it has been visited, and DMAOSD renders a cached version of it. If DMAOSD were to make the request again, then UMSP would know what page is visible onscreen and would have the necessary metadata. So, UMSP looses track of what the user is viewing...

I'm not sure how we could "poison" DMAOSD's cache to force it to make requests for every page, but the truth is this cache can be quite big (I was able to go back at least 7 levels without any request to UMSP).
mad_ady
Developer

Next

Return to WDTVExt plugins