USB drives - limitations

The place to report WDTVExt bus

USB drives - limitations   

Postby derwildemann » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:01 am

I contacted recliq for some information on the use of the USB-drives that can be connected to the 2 USB ports of the WDTV Live player.
I'd like to share the outcome of this to all of you....

thanks recliq...

USB drives
==========

Sent: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:59 pm
by derwildemann
-------------------------------
hi recliq

I've been googling an searching the forum for a while but I couln't find an answer to my request.

I have a 1,5TB and a 2,0TB hard drive connected to the 2 usb ports on my WDTV Live player. Slowly but surely I'm running out of space on those drives. In the future I either have to move the content of these drives to one or more larger drives or I'll have to connect another drive to the USB port.

My question: Is that even possible? Somewhere I saw a comment that the WDTV Live player won't neither be able to cope with drives larger than 2TB nor would it be able to see USB drives behind a USB hub.

Is that true? Will I have to live with the WDTV Live player's storage restriction of 2 USB drives of 2TB max?

cheers
DWM

Sent: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:00 am
by recliq
Hi,

You should avoid hard drives > 2HD, that's correct. I din't have any problem so far with more than 2 hard drives behind a USB hub, however the hard drives won't be found in the same order and thus their mount point may vary at each boot.
It is important to use a powered hub.

cheers
recliq

Sent: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:19 am
by derwildemann
------------------------------
hi recliq

thanks for your response. Mount point change... does that mean that i.e. the movie sheets wouldn't be displayed after a reeboot as the entry of the central sheet repository in the web front end would suddenly not be valid anymore?
What would happen i.e. if I'd create 2 2TB partitions on a 4TB hard drive?

cheers
DWM

Sent: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:31 am
by recliq
1) with moviesheets (plugin): no
with linksheet: normally as well not as those are scanned and created at each boot, MSHEETDIR hack, on the other hand, could be a problem...

2) not sure but the general restriction for applies for partition over 2TB... however no guarantee! I don't have any hard drive with more than 2TB, so I can't give you a reliable answer. I'd try to ask in the forum.

cheers
recliq

Sent: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:47 pm
by derwildemann
thanks again for your answer...

However I didn't completely understand this:

1) with moviesheets (plugin): no
with linksheet: normally as well not as those are scanned and created at each boot, MSHEETDIR hack, on the other hand, could be a problem...

I have a folder called .msheetdir where I have placed all my sheets. So which category applies to me?

1) moviesheets (plugin)
2) linksheets
3) MSHEETDIR hack

I don't believe that 2) applies to me as I moved to the central repository .msheetdir to avoid the time consuming scanning at each reboot.

cheers
DWM

Sent: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:56 am
by recliq
then you're using the MSHEETDIR hack.
You may be able to bypass the problem with changing mount points if you enable early mount for all drives (create an empty file, call it .mnt and place it in the root of each drive) and then let linksheets scan the path /tmp/mnt/<UUID of the drive> instead of the path /tmp/media/...
Thus the early mount paths shouldn't change as they are mounted with their UUID.

cheers
recliq
derwildemann
DLX'er

Return to WDTVExt bugs