Showing audio files info

Anything and everything related to OSD modifcation & theming.

Showing audio files info   

Postby Big » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:39 am

Hello,

I try to make my own small theme focused on audio playback changes - everything on SMP with FW 2.0.2.32 and Grid UI. I want to show on playback screen (no media library) much more about currently played file - type, bitrate, track number, total tracks etc. But I cannot find any info about names of fields to display them on screen. I tried with current track number but no luck even with it. All themes show only track title, artist, album and genre.

Is there some manual to whole xml structure, specially regarding audio files?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Big
Donor

Re: Showing audio files info   

Postby KAD » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:57 am

as for a template for themes, since most of the themes have been done on the official forum
I posted the stock theme here
http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Themes/Attention-Themers-Grid-UI-2-02-32/td-p/778209

so you can download and modify it to create your theme

there's also quite a few resources in the official WD theme forum about what you can do and what you cant do with themes
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby Big » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:25 pm

Thanks for info - I've checked both resources but haven't found anything helpful in my specific subject. All themes use only these 4 fields from all the tags available in audio files. And I haven't found some official guide with all available fields. It's strange when functionality to upload user themes exists in official firmware but then do not provide guide how to build themes. Yo can only see what has been done so far and do your own experiments. I've tried to guess some obvious fields like track number but sadly even such simple things don't work. There are themes in which you can see track number and total tracks but they are calculated based on files in dir, not on metadata from audio file. It's strange.
Big
Donor

Postby KAD » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:39 am

well that other route which I mentioned take a look at WD's SDK (it's more of a collection of java hooks)

then create an app to display whatever you want
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby Big » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:16 pm

KAD wrote:well that other route which I mentioned take a look at WD's SDK (it's more of a collection of java hooks)

then create an app to display whatever you want

I've taken a look also on SDK but I'm not programmer so it's not fo me. I can write/modify XML and JPG files so it's the only way I can create new themes. I hoped that SDK will also provide detailed info about XML scheme used but no luck.

So right now I'm prepared to publish my theme modifications (focused right now only on audio playback), but hoped to be able to provide detailed info about files.

Do you know names of variables for track number, bitrate, year etc? I've found only these few used in every theme:

Code: Select all
@@songname
@@artist
@@album
@@genre
Big
Donor

Postby KAD » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:01 pm

unfortunately, we can't create or modify new @@values
and some of the values that do exist only work on certain pages
so @@value on 1.xml may or may not work on 2.xml

anyways, the person who would know this better than anybody is JoeySmyth
he's done more theming that anybody else I know of
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby JoeySmyth » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:50 pm

What you've said KAD is correct, there's nothing i can add
JoeySmyth
DLX'er

Postby Big » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:28 am

Thank you guys.

To clarify it a bit - I don't expect that you will create new @@values. I just ask if you know names of @@values for audio files, which can be used in audio_run.xml in Grid UI. I know only 4 @@values written above. Do you know something more?
Big
Donor

Postby JoeySmyth » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:18 am

you could try these ... can't guarantee if they will work, but that's what 'experimenting' is for i guess

@@album_icon
@@next
@@audio_currenttime
@@audio_totaltime
@@info_rolling_message
@@info_audio_album_artist

but i'm pretty sure "year" can't be done ... and definately sure "bitrate" can't be done either

i guess, you could do "Music Linksheets" and have all the info you want to display ... but that's a huge undertaking, depends on how "OC" you are ;)
JoeySmyth
DLX'er

Postby Big » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:46 am

Thanks for reply :)
I didn't mentioned that I'm already using additionally these:
Code: Select all
@@album_icon
@@default_album_icon
@@next
@@audio_currenttime
@@audio_totaltime

They were already in audio_run.xml and I'm only rewriting it :-)

In fact I need only few things: year, track, CD, bitrate, and maybe total tracks. All of them (except total tracks) are standard tags in audio files. So it's strange that they are not provided (or we don't know about them). But that's how it is right now.

I'll think about "Audio Linksheets", but probably I'll have no time to do such thing and I'll stick with my current theme modifications (which I'll post once they are at least semi-finished ;-) ).
Big
Donor

Next

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live Theming