*Updated 06/10/2011* EYE CANDY with MenuSheets v 2.0

Anything and everything related to OSD modifcation & theming.

Re: EYE CANDY with MenuSheets   

Postby KAD » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:42 am

@ripper2860,

ripper2860 wrote:
KAD wrote: ... on another note, the plugin included in the download will work with any osd.bin
you can also change or remove any of the included backgrounds, just pay attention to the naming and the file size must be smaller than 512kb, same as moviesheets
KAD

Hmmmm. Any OSD.BIN?? That's got me curious -- anyway to keep the default WD OSD and use MENUSHEETS?

Yeah -- I found a few of my own backdrops and substituted them in the sheets folder. Didn't think to verify the size or resolution. They are 1280x720 and about 560KB each. Maybe I should reduce their resolution or the DPI (72DPI right now)??

to use menusheet with stock osd
just follow the instructions, but omit the Eye_Candy_1.osd.bin from the thumbdrive and reboot
or for that matter, menusheets can be used with PsychoTHC osd mod, julios mod, or any other osd mod available
just use their osd.bin instead of the eye candy.osd.bin

you could also use the menusheet plugin to change only 1 or 2 backgrounds, simply delete the images in the folder that you want to remain as the villa_bg.jpg
example, if somebody wanted to only change the background for USB1 & 2 to reflect something related to the content of each of the drives

as for file dimensions, it really is just like moviesheets, so 1280 x 720 is correct but the smaller the image the faster it will load

@kami

kami wrote:Great MOD Kad i really like the idee. Could it also be possible to choose a folder per catagorie so the background can rotate with pictures from that folder.

currently not possible to point each category at a folder and have the image rotate
at this time the plugin is looking for individual .jpg files
is it possible to implement? probably but it's currently beyond my skills

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby ripper2860 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:07 pm

KAD --

SWEEEEEET!!! So Menusheets and OSD are independent and can be used even w/ the STOCK OSD. That's good to know. I'm curious to see how your OSD dev work goes as it looks very promising. I'll gladly test further as newer revs are produced.

Once again -- Thanks!!!!!
WDLXTV Supporter
ripper2860
Supporter

Postby kami » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:45 am

@KAD
ok hope somebody else on the forum can maybe help you , it would be cool to have random wallpapers with the category's.
kami
n00b

Postby oneleft.ak » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:32 am

Any chance of this ever coming to the WDTV Live Plus?
oneleft.ak
Donor

Postby KAD » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:18 am

it's currently dependant on wdtvext plugin, if that comes to live plus, it could certainly be made available on the plus, although I don't have a plus, so if there's xml edits needed to be compatible with the osd.bin portion, we'd need somebody to step up and make those edits

KAD
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby oneleft.ak » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:35 am

There are definitely going to be some xml edits necessary for the osd.bin... I just recently purchased a Plus and would like to get the ball rolling on a guide or tool that would assist in the adaptation of existing osd.bin files to the Plus.
oneleft.ak
Donor

Postby KAD » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:18 am

I think it would be worth while and I'm sure lots of user would apprciate it, I'd recommend starting by taking a look at my guide to creating an osd, it's on the wiki, then make some notes on major differences between the live and live+

on another note, I'd have to look through the thread on psychothc osd.bin, but I think somebody already started the necessary edits to make the compatible with live+

but that's the only one I know somebody has started working on

KAD
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby davron94 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:14 am

KAD wrote:Initial Release,
Eye Candy by KAD featuring MenuSheets plugin provided by recliq

This release is functional, but is far from done
replace backgrounds to suit your taste, although I've initially included a background for every menu except for the background selector pages
If no MenuSheet is present then your villa_bg.jpg will be displayed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSs-wQd2CO4

Background Themes
Video - Cars
Photo's - Photogrphy
Music - Music
Settings - Plannets
WDTVext - Scifi
DoSomething - Tron
Tools - Linux
plugin & script pages - abstract

Installation
http://www.mediafire.com/?u50i5cht4aynl8h
First Place MenuSheet Folder inside .wdtvext-plugins folder
from OSD menu, rescan plugins,
enable MenuSheet
Place MENUSHEETDIR on thumb drive
Set MENUSHEETDIR with config_tool -c MENUSHEETDIR=<path>
example config_tool -c MENUSHEETDIR=/tmp/media/usb/USB1/3480-9806/MENUSHEETDIR
Place EYE_CANDY_1.osd.bin at root of thumb drive
reboot

KAD

This looks like an awesome app! I tried to follow the steps you gave to install it, but got stuck where you say to "Set MENUSHEETDIR with config_tool -c MENUSHEETDIR=<path>
example config_tool -c MENUSHEETDIR=/tmp/media/usb/USB1/3480-9806/MENUSHEETDIR"

I used the example and changed the tmp directory to my own webend mount info for the USB drive, and then I tried to create an empty S00 options file to put it in on the thumb drive but that did not work. Where do i place this config_tool command? Do I need to reload a full S00 file and copy the command to that list? Or can this be added in through SSH or on Webend? I could not find anywhere in webend to configure and I tried SSH and when i hit enter, all of the information about the app came up but nothing happened on the WD Live. Could you please assist me with this issue?

Thanks, Dave
davron94
DLX'er

Postby KAD » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:38 pm

@davron94,

you can run the cmd from S00custom-options or telnet/ssh, which ever you prefer,
if everything else is done correct, no reboot needed after entering the command
just push an arrow key on remote to see the menusheets begin working

1 thing I see in your example, you have a " at the end
definetely no quotes needed, that's probably what the problem is
here's how I found my path, webend file manager, browse to the folder and just copy the path listed there, and remember linux is case sensitive

as for WEC it's not available on WEC yet
it's funny you should ask, I was just reading up today on how to add it to WEC

on another note, if you like this version. I'm only a few days away from releasing a totally redesigned version that's gonna rock

KAD

edit: almost forgot the plugin requires wdtvext to run so you must be on a 1.02.21 based firmware
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby davron94 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:48 am

KAD wrote:@davron94,

you can run the cmd from S00custom-options or telnet/ssh, which ever you prefer,
if everything else is done correct, no reboot needed after entering the command
just push an arrow key on remote to see the menusheets begin working

1 thing I see in your example, you have a " at the end
definetely no quotes needed, that's probably what the problem is
here's how I found my path, webend file manager, browse to the folder and just copy the path listed there, and remember linux is case sensitive

as for WEC it's not available on WEC yet
it's funny you should ask, I was just reading up today on how to add it to WEC

on another note, if you like this version. I'm only a few days away from releasing a totally redesigned version that's gonna rock

KAD

edit: almost forgot the plugin requires wdtvext to run so you must be on a 1.02.21 based firmware

Sounds great that you are releasing another version! I would like to get a handle on what i am doing wrong to make the released version work. When you say you 'browse to the folder in webend file manager', How is that done? or how do you know where to look (what folder is it that you are refering to? I used the mount table option on the left hand side of the main page and added in the path that way. But my issue i think is with the S00 custom options file. when i tried to load it through SSH nothing happened, but i'm not sure exactly how to transfer files using SSH, do you just hit enter after copying the file into the window? Then I tried to create a empty S00 custom options file on the flash drive (because i already have the options file installed when i flashed with the latest 1.02.21 firmware), and that did not work. Just as a side note, i only used quotes in the message, not in the actual command. also, is this app compatible with merlin's RandomWallpaper app? I'm having trouble creating a path for that as well!

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks for all your help!
davron94
DLX'er

PreviousNext

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live Theming