Beginers Guide to creating custom OSD

Anything and everything related to OSD modifcation & theming.

Re: Beginers Guide to creating custom OSD   

Postby recliq » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:09 am

basic_browse_thumb.xml will be created from other files depending on the sheet mode and/or thumb setting.
Depending on the settings on of these files will become basic_browse_thumb.xml
Code: Select all
/osd/basic_browse_thumb.sheet.xml
/osd/basic_browse_thumb.std.xml
/osd/basic_browse_thumb.wall.xml

/osd/basic_browse_thumb_video.xml one of these:
/osd/basic_browse_thumb_video.120x180.xml
/osd/basic_browse_thumb_video.150x200.xml
/osd/basic_browse_thumb_video.180x240.xml
/osd/basic_browse_thumb_video.225x300.xml
/osd/basic_browse_thumb_video.240x360.xml
/osd/basic_browse_thumb_video.sheet.xml
/osd/basic_browse_thumb_video.std.xml
/osd/basic_browse_thumb_video.wall.xml
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby KAD » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:18 am

basic_browse.xml and a few others actually get put in tmp and therefore can not be edited directly on the WD
you'll have to get it as you like it,

then boot into vm ware / linux and replace the file there to make the change permanent

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby scoobydo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:13 pm

Hello out there

i stuck on a very interesting thing.
i downloaded a while ago a nice OSD and i played around.
The thing with the Video Browse is that my 8. image is always hidden. i see 1 to 7 and usually it should go to next page for Cover 8. But this is between the two pages. i can see the sheet but not the Cover?? What i tried to do was to make 8 Covers in a row. But it doesnt work. Same game again. which xml do i have to configure to get 8 in a row and then it jumps to next page without some hidden cover between the pages??

EDIT:

Ok. The first step i got. I configured the basic_browse_thumb_video_sheet.xml and i jump to the next side without any hidden cover. What i want to do now is to get 8 Covers in a row instead of 7. Where, or how do i have to do this?
scoobydo
Donor

Postby recliq » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:29 am

First off you should tell which firmware version you're on, because .xml might differ quite a bit. ;)
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby scoobydo » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:39 am

First off you should tell which firmware version you're on, because .xml might differ quite a bit.

on 1.05.04

i figured it out how it works. I just had to add one image more in the inc_video_thumb_browse_sheet.xml and tata i got it :)
scoobydo
Donor

Postby oakeyt » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:20 am

I'm completely new to this and need some help....

I've mounted my xx.osd.bin to a folder on my usb drive connected to the WD using the command:

sudo mount -o loop xx.osd.bin test

where

xx.osd.bin = the name of my osd.bin file
test= the name of the folder I created earlier on the usb drive (mounting point)

I'm then trying to edit a file in the mounted xx.osd.bin from my desktop but I'm getting the error that 'access is denied'

Going back to the usb drive I'm trying to change the permissions on the folder 'test' but I'm getting an error 'read-only file system'

BTW my desktop is running windows and the osd.bin is based on an ext3 filesystem not a cram filesystem.

I guess the question is can I mount the osd.bin in a folder on the USB drive connected to the WD and access that from my windows pc to edit the files? I know I can access the files but I can't modify them following the method above.

Any help would be appreciated.
oakeyt
n00b

Postby KAD » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:46 am

yeah, you can mount the osd.bin anywhere you like

you might need to
chmod -R 777 ./test
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby oakeyt » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks. That's what I thought but it made no difference. It seem's it's my fault, I thought the osd.bin I'm using was EXT3 but having done a 'file ~' on the bin file it appears to be a Cramfs files sytem! - oops

Is it possible to convert an EXT3 filesystem to CRAMFS?
oakeyt
n00b

Postby KAD » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:25 am

coverting cramfs to ext3 is the same a creating a new osd.bin

I'd just delete the cramfs
and follow the first page instructions to create/download a fresh version to ext3
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby oakeyt » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:55 am

Thanks KAD. A couple of questions though...
1. what is stock.osd.bin?
2. Are you saying that I can use the instructions at the start of this thread to change the existing cramfs file to EXT3? - apologies for the 'un-educated' questions but I'm new to all this linux stuff! :(
3. What is the command 'svn' as I' getting a message saying this doessn't exist?

If I mount psychothc_mod_6_5_3-svn62.osd.bin then copy the files to a new directory on my usb drive connected to the WD and then make the changes to the files in the directory on the USB drive can I then copy all the files to a empty ext3 filesytem that I've previously created and monted? - would that work?

For info - I'm using psychothc_mod_6_5_3-svn62.osd.bin and want to change the colours of the 'Options' bar from red to a different colour. This is a cramfs file as opposed to the standard psychothc_mod_6_5_3.osd.bin - I'm using the 'svn62' version because I want MediaMark to work and it doesn't in the original version.

Is anyone using an EXT3 filesystem version of psychothc_mod_6_5_3-svn62.osd.bin ?
oakeyt
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live Theming