Beginers Guide to creating custom OSD

Anything and everything related to OSD modifcation & theming.

Re: Beginers Guide to creating custom OSD   

Postby KAD » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:35 pm

your mount point does not exist

the only thing I see in those screenshots is the xxx.osd.bin
create a folder called osd then
Code: Select all
sudo mount -o loop aryez.osd.bin osd

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby mad_ady » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:27 am

Well, he was trying to mount it in the same directory he had the bin - which is not allowed. Also, being a noob and playing with folders with spaces in the names is asking for trouble :D
mad_ady
Developer

Postby recliq » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:33 am

KAD is right and you seem to have no clue what you are doing (sorry to say and no disrespect intended).
You should get a bit familiar with linux and shell before you start projects like this.

in short what you need to do:
open a shell and cd to the folder where you have your osd.bin (which seems to be your desktop)
cd ~/Desktop
mkdir osd
mount -o loop aryez.osd.bin osd

but it get's even more complicated:
Since I don't know where you got that osd.bin from, it can be in two different formats either it's a ext3 filesystem or a cram filesystem.
If you mount a cramfs you will not be able to modify any files in it because it's a read-only filesystem. You'd need to extract it, modify the files you want and re-pack it.
To see what kind of file it is run this command:
file ~/Desktop/aryez.osd.bin
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby ARYEZ » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:14 am

Hey thanks for the replies and no offense taken...trust me I know that I really don't understand linux at all. So here's another question.

I downloaded the stock.osd.bin from following the link in the wiki. Then dowloaded Explore2fs. Next I exported the directory to a folder called osd on my windows 7 desktop. Then using photoshop edited the images I was looking to change. Now in the folder, my osd is how I wanted it to be.

My question is, is there anyway to just pack that into a osd.bin file? Basically what Im saying is that can I skip or get around most of the linux stuff since all the editing is already done? and just take the exported directory and pack it in to a bin file?
ARYEZ
n00b

Postby recliq » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:58 am

You can extract and modify the files on windows - no problem, BUT you can not use the extracted directory from windos to create a new osd.bin.
While extracting the osd.bin on windows you will lose some information (symlinks) because windows doesn't know about symlinks.

Instead you should copy the modified files on linux into the osd.bin (or create a new one). Important thing is to create/mofify the osd.bin on linux to keep the symlinks.
(see http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=96&p=16933#p16925)
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby mad_ady » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:01 am

Since that osd is based on an ext2/3 image, you can enable write support in explore2fs (it's disabled by default) and copy/paste the files in that bin file. You might have file size issues - if your new images are larger that the bin file (you can view it as a partition). Also, you may have permission issues - but I don't know until you try.

Other than this, you can try to use ext3ifs http://www.fs-driver.org to do the same thing from windows. Otherwise you'll need to get your feet wet with linux itself (and its evil twin - command line) :P

Edit: recliq beat me to it...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby ARYEZ » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Hey so thanks to you guys helping me out for the last few days, I actually overcame some of my noobness and made progress tonight. I was able to take the stock.osd.bin from the wiki and mount it in kubuntu. In fact I was able to mount it, edit some files and then unmount it and load it up on my WDTV. The good news is that all the changes I made up showed up...the bad news is that apparently the stock.osd.bin from the wiki was for a WDTV live and I have a WDTV live plus, so most of the stuff didnt line up quite right. Is there somewhere that I can download a stock.osd.bin for a live plus?
ARYEZ
n00b

Postby recliq » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:59 am

Check back in this tpoic, I showed a way to checkout an actual osd tree from SVN.

If you are using an debian or ubuntu distribution simply install svn and use the commands i provided.
Here's how to install svn:
sudo apt-get install subversion
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby ARYEZ » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:25 am

Hey I just want to thank KAD and Recliq for helping me out. Last night I was able to mod my odd completely and boot it to my wdtv...and everything worked and was in its correct place. So again thanks for all your help and probably more importantly your patience with my noobiness lol.

Oh and one last question, I saw as I was reading back thorough early posts in this topic that KAD had mentioned FTP'ing the osd changes so that one could see the edits immediately. Is that something that would be possible for a live plus or was it dependent on plug ins? I ask because in the eye candy video it seems like a plug in, but as always I may be just misunderstanding it. Also, is there a wiki or guide explaining the process anywher? As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.
ARYEZ
n00b

Postby recliq » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:09 am

If you create the osb.bin as an ext3 image with some space left and boot the WD with your osb.bin, you should be able to write/change files to /osd (because that's your osd.bin) with FTP.
recliq
WDLXTV Team

PreviousNext

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live Theming