Beginers Guide to creating custom OSD

Anything and everything related to OSD modifcation & theming.

Re: Beginers Guide to creating custom OSD   

Postby Alicia » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:29 am

Thanks for this thread KAD.
I never, ever thought I might wanna look into OSD stuff, but your first post ,made it look really easy so I gave it a try.
So, I fired up my old Ubuntu computer, copied an existing osd.bin to to desktop, created a mount point, mounted the osd.bin and started to browse through the xml files. :geek: After that unmounted it. Permission changing and editing will be the next steps. I was surprised how easy that was, for me as a long time Windows user.

Looks like the Linux computer will have a job again in the near future 8-). Creating a complete new OSD is not what I am after , just trying to learn the basics and see what my changes inside the XML's result in on my tv-screen.
1.03.01-WDLXTV 0.5.8.1 + Cylent ShowcaseV2 Mod + pure-ftpd + nfs
Alicia
DLX'er

Postby Alicia » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:48 pm

Made a few babysteps again.
    - permission changing of files ; worked
    - editing XML files ; is no problem as I got read/write permission
I also downloaded an OSD emulator, so I can immediately see on my pc-screen what happens if I change something inside XML(s) without creating bin file, put on usb-stick, boot wdtv, see how it looks etc.

By opening some XML files, I came across these @@aaaaaa variables. :?
I read somewhere
As many of you know, osd pages have dynamic variables as values for different page element attributes in the form of @@xyz.

Now my question ; what is assigning values to these variables and how can I see what value is assigned to such a variable at a certain point of time ???
Alicia
DLX'er

Postby KAD » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:10 pm

that's a great question, and as I recall you're on a gen1 box the the osd emulator is a perfect fit, since it was actually created for the gen1 box, glad you found that

The @@variables are read and controlled by dmaosd at least in all the newer unit's, I never tried osd modding on gen1

with the newer units such as the live that I've got changing, reading, or writting these variable can only be done with a WDTVext pluggin
a good example is my osd mod EyeCandy, it uses a plugin called MenuSheet to write the @@menusheet variable to villa_home.xml

I know there was a gen1 version of wdtvext, but not exactly sure how you would go about reading/writing those variables on gen1, possibly an app.bin ??

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby recliq » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:55 am

you should be able to read most variables by adding a <text> element with the respecting variable to the xml...
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby Alicia » Mon May 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Is there a way to quickly find out what @@variables dmaosd recognizes/uses (instead of going through all the XML files of the OSD´s and probably still miss some) :?:
Alicia
DLX'er

Postby KAD » Mon May 16, 2011 1:06 pm

unfortunately there's no list I know of, maybe recliq has some fancy way to pull a list but being that dmaosd is closed source, I sort of doubt it,

for myself I typically work on 1 section of the osd at a time, so it's not as hard to know what you're dealing with, having narrowed the scope down to only a handful of xml's

KAD
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby recliq » Tue May 17, 2011 12:55 am

Maybe this is a start:
http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=298&p=1746&hilit=variables#p1746
and
http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=297&p=1745&hilit=variables#p1745

Unfortunately it's impossible to get all vars with wdtvext because it causes dmaosd to segfault if you try...
If you are searching vars for pages other than the two above you have to look at the .xml.
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby pacman2007 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 pm

I hope somebody can help a linux noob like me.
I've downloaded official 1.04.22 and mounted the bin file from desktop using: sudo mount -o loop,offset=32 wdtvlive.bin osd
I read about the offset=32 at another site. Is this ok, or do I need to use cramfs?
I can then browse the osd mount point and open the xml files in kate for edit. However when I try to save the file I get a permission error :(

I've tried:
sudo chmod -R 777 wdtvlive.bin
and
sudo chmod -R 777 osd

But I still can't write to the files.
Please help.
pacman2007
n00b

Postby KAD » Mon May 23, 2011 1:34 pm

mounting the file system doesn't change the file system attibutes

I learned a bit about this myself this last weekend
just a guess but the official .bin file may already be a cramfs
cramfs only supports read only, no write abilties to change files - doesn't matter if mounted or not

since your trying to work off an official version
I'd mount the file, as you have, and then copy everything to a directory outside the image,
this will give you a fully accessable set of data
then when you're done and it's all set the why you like
you can mkcramfs the directory contents

or your other option is to make an ext3 image, and put everything inside it,
ext3 allows for both read and write support

KAD
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby pacman2007 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi KAD,

Thanks for your response.
All I want to do is to increase the size of the video thumbnails, so I just need to edit one xml.
I can copy this xml file to the desktop and edit it, but I'm a bit unsure how to repack it back into the bin file with mkcramfs. I read something about a 32 byte header and a 16 byte signature in the bin file. That's why I used the offset=32. I guess I need to preserve the header and signature.
mkcramfs is all new to me.
What parameters should I feed mkcramfs to rebuild a valid firmware bin file.
Thanks again!
pacman2007
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live Theming