Beginers Guide to creating custom OSD

Anything and everything related to OSD modifcation & theming.

Re: Beginers Guide to creating custom OSD   

Postby kismiace » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:37 pm

ok will give that a try thx for ur help
kismiace
n00b

Postby Rorscach » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:04 pm

For some reason, I always have problems telling me that it is not found in etc/fstab when trying to mount and unmount.

If you're working in Windows with VMWare or something, then it's a lot easier to use Explore2fs (http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs) to extract all the files from the osd and edit the files inside Windows.
Then you only need to use linux in the final step to create the osd with;
Code: Select all
mkcramfs osd <yourosd>.osd.bin
Rorscach
DLX'er

Postby KAD » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:38 am

@Rorscach, good info on how to make osd.bin, as for the error message, I've seen that quite a few times myself, but it's always been a result of using incorrect path in my mount/unmount cmd

example if
sudo mount -o loop xxxx.osd.bin

you will be that error because you still haven't specified where to mount the file

but
sudo mount -o loop xxxx.osd.bin osd

works because it specifies to mount the file to the folder osd, if osd is located somewhere other than where I opened my terminal, then I would need to include the path in the cmd as well

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby Rorscach » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:10 am

Yeah, I've done that step of specifying a destination already, but I still get the errors.
I can kind of get past it by moving the files using nautilus, but it seems to work far easier with the mkcramfs command. But my linux knowledge is far to limited to know weather this is the correct way of doing things.
Rorscach
DLX'er

Postby recliq » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:00 am

sounds more like a problem with file/dir permissions...
Check permissions with
ls -al

It may help if you actually become root:
sudo -i

might do the trick...
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby Rorscach » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks alot reqlic, I'll try when I have the time.
Rorscach
DLX'er

Postby KAD » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:34 am

this guide has been posted to wiki

http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Creating_an_osd.bin
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby KAD » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:28 am

hey guys,

I'm really close to being done with my first osd mod and thought I'd share some additional things I've learned along the way

1. Fonts - the including font must be left in place as it is used for subtitles, but .ttf fonts are recongnized to to use your own font on anything but subtitles, place your .ttf font in the fonts folder, then edit fontlist.xml

2.bg="1" - you will see an entry that looks like this next to most images and text entries in the xml's, this indicates if the item is below or above the background, it's a layering effect and you can layer the images however you like

3. files .mo & .po are used primarily for traslation of messages on screen, for lots of info on this you should see the localization section of the forum, but they allow you to change messages that are not directly coded on an XML

4. anything that will partially go off screen will not be displayed, example if you align menu icons with x="0" when an icon is selected, the selected icon is larger than the non selected icon, therefore part of it goes off screen and it disappears completely

5. read/write @@ variables, if you need to make changes to these variables more than is specified in XML's, you'll need to use WDTVext plugins, for that see the wiki or the WDTVext section of the forum

KAD
KAD
Global Moderator

Re: Beginners Guide to creating custom OSD   

Postby haibane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:06 pm

Decided I'd try this again, but inside of vmware. Unfortunately they don't make a mac player. Do you have any suggestions?
Last edited by haibane on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haibane
Donor

Re: Beginners Guide to creating custom OSD   

Postby haibane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:07 pm

Fusion exists nm..., but its not free :(
haibane
Donor

PreviousNext

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live Theming