Custom Osd

Anything and everything related to OSD modifcation & theming.

Re: Custom Osd   

Postby derwildemann » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:20 pm

KAD wrote:is there a reason, you're reviving a 2 yr old thread

as for the download, how about you login to WDLXTV.com and download the file
but actually why would you want to start with a base that old, it's probably not even compatible with the firmware you're running
there are instructions on how to get the most recent stock osd.bin in the beginners guide to creating an osd.bin

p.s. if memory serves me right, USB1.thumb and USB2.thumb are not the correct files to typically change

hi KAD

no reason at all but it was the only thread I could find... I've no idea to where to find that 'beginners guide to creating an osd.bin'...
if you're referring to this page:
http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Creating_an_osd.bin... there I only found this link as to download a stock.osd.bin:
http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=132&start=10#p805 and that leads to the previously mentioned pages...

I copied USB1.thumb and USB2.thumb to the root of my USB2 drive and realized that those are the icons that show if you check WDLXTV Configuration --> OSD --> USBICONS
they are plain and simple jpg 120 x 180 pix, very easily modified if necessary but can't copy them back as /osd/image is write protected.
derwildemann
DLX'er

Postby KAD » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm tempted to tell you; if you can't find it, then you have no business trying to do an osd mod
because it means that your not looking for the information

anyways the thread is the first one, sticked to the top of the osd section of the forum
and also the wiki page has a link to it as well

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1899

this is a case of read the wiki closely, don't just skim through it
also the wiki has the basic updating steps at the bottom as well

you're really getting into stuff that we can't hold your hand each step of the way
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby derwildemann » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:29 pm

KAD wrote:I'm tempted to tell you; if you can't find it, then you have no business trying to do an osd mod
because it means that your not looking for the information

anyways the thread is the first one, sticked to the top of the osd section of the forum
and also the wiki page has a link to it as well

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1899

this is a case of read the wiki closely, don't just skim through it
also the wiki has the basic updating steps at the bottom as well

you're really getting into stuff that we can't hold your hand each step of the way

ok, ok, got it.... I'm dumb.... but really.... you need some doctor degree to find things on the forum.... just typing 'osd' in the search box, doesn't help at all....
you get posts rather than a hint to the forum thread your searching for....

now that I just went through the forums I saw this: "Homebrew Central" and below that "OSD Modification & Theming"... so back to your question: why to revive a 2 year old thread?.... because that's what the search function gave me...

however.... is it really so bad for you guys to just give the link to the information that is in question? after all you guys know exactly and in a blink of the eye where to find it.... come on, we here are all noobs when we start off.... during the last few days I learned a lot.... even recliq told me once that some 2 years ago you were a noob yourself but now you've grown into a moderator, would you have guessed that?.... just a few days ago I would have never imagined to even use telnet and copy / paste files with it or place a file that I had edited with notepad in a folder of my WDTV player... and yet, if I would stumble across a question that I had solved before, I'd give everything to walk anyone with less experience than I through with every detail on hand.... I'd be utmost happy to be able to help a blind guy considering myself just having been enlightened to maybe now be called the one eyed guy amongst the blind.... and I would not be short with words....

I strongly believe in redundancy... in this case redundancy means NOT to answer the question 'where can I find info with regards to OSD' with: 'first thread in OSD section' BUT with: 'http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1899'

anyway, thanks again for your help, especially the part where you decided to pass me the link despite of my stupidity....

and oh.... by the way... I went through all 10 pages of the 'Beginers Guide to creating custom OSD' in search for an actual stock.osd.bin w/o luck, can't seem to find any. I also typed 'stock.osd.bin' in the search box and all I get is a sample of my own just 5 minutes old thread where I mention this...

well I'll live with it but would hardly be able to understand if you'd shut me out for my difficulty to find what I'm searching for on these forums...
derwildemann
DLX'er

Postby KAD » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:24 pm

sorry, but we're just not able to hold everybody's hand through everything

if we did that continually, there would never be any development happening here
so while we try to help
we do expect that people read the wiki, and search the forum, I'll admit that the forum search engine sucks
but when I say search the forum, I would expect if you're looking for osd info that you at least look in the osd section
the thread is permanently on top for a reason

it's also the same reason certain threads are permanently on top in other sections
i.e moviesheet forum, the linksheets thread is on top
i.e bug section has the requirements for posting in that section

as for being a noob myself, yes I can understand, you're right I was a noob, when I came to this forum. I had never seen a linux anything, had heard the term but nothing else
as for my background, I have zero computer background, I learned all my linux skills right here, taught mostly by recliq and b-rad
and now, I'm bash scripting, js scripting, osd.bin app.bin etc... even compiled my own kernel modules no long ago
still learning all the time, just within the last week, I did my first network packet capture
so I completely understand being a noob and making noob mistakes

but the difference is that I diligently searched the forums
and google for answers to problems
and then posted, only when I could not find an answer
most of your questions have answers which are already documented

as for how to get a stock.osd.bin
I recommend you re-read the beginners guide to creating an osd mod
the very first line is
Here's the steps to creating an up to date stock.osd.bin prior to starting a new mod

and no we don't want to shut anybody out
we just need people to read the documentation carefully
and at least look in the proper forum to see if there's any important documentation regarding their issue
if there are questions not answered in the documentation, or that need to be clarified (i.e. you're having a problem with a specific step)
then we are certainly willing to help
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby derwildemann » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:18 am

ok, I started with the commands..... extracting the stock.osd.bin

got stuck at:
svn export https://svn.wdlxtv.com/svn/1.05.04-wdlxtv/plus/trunk/osd tmp/newosd --force

response:
-sh: svn: not found

I have now a new folder /tmp/newosd and inside it nothing but another folder called lost+found which is empty
derwildemann
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:01 am

You will need to install the devtools.app.bin from the webend to enable the svn command (it was removed from newer firmwares).

The lost+found folder is normal for ext2/3/4 partitions, ignore it.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby derwildemann » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:30 am

mad_ady wrote:You will need to install the devtools.app.bin from the webend to enable the svn command (it was removed from newer firmwares).

The lost+found folder is normal for ext2/3/4 partitions, ignore it.

I installed it on USB1 port. On that USB drive a file devtools.app.bin was created and in WEC it now reads:
devtools -- On sdb1 -- enabled

but still:
svn export https://svn.wdlxtv.com/svn/1.05.04-wdlxtv/plus/trunk/osd tmp/newosd --force
-sh: svn: not found

I wanted to eliminate /tmp/newosd with:
rmdir /tmp/newosd
but now it seems to be locked:
rmdir: '/tmp/newosd': Device or resource busy
derwildemann
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:54 am

You will need to reboot once an app.bin has been activated, so that the necessary integration is done at boot time.

The svn command should probably be:
Code: Select all
svn export https://svn.wdlxtv.com/svn/1.05.04-wdlxtv/plus/trunk/osd /tmp/newosd --force

(there is a / before tmp in order to have an absolute path)
mad_ady
Developer

Postby KAD » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:12 am

both very good questions

I've updated the guide to fix the typo and to mention the requirement of devtools.app.bin
KAD
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live Theming