Custom Osd

Anything and everything related to OSD modifcation & theming.

Custom Osd   

Postby rosie2417 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:17 am

Hello, I have a WD Live that I have been trying to make a custom osd for weeks now with no luck. I have read B-Rad tutorial and I think I have a general idea of what is going on. I have a linux machine, but am a newbe to it, but I am able to mount and then umount the image. The bin file I tried first is stock.osd-0.3.bin with no luck. I am guessing it is for a G1 or 2 not Live. I tried the selective-theme-skeleton.app.bin again no luck. I am not sure if it is a Live bin as well. I then tried the wdlxtv-live-0.4.2.0.osd.bin with some luck. I have the images and layout I want but the movie sheets stopped working. I added my S00custom-options file along side of my osd but no luck. I also created a wdtvext-plugins folder along side of my osd and put the movie sheet plug in in there with no luck. When I try wdlxtv-live-0.4.2.0.osd.bin unmodified I still do not get movie sheets. If I unplug my usb stick and run the internal firmware no problem. Everything works. Am I using the right bin for the Live? Is there a selective-theme apps bin for the Live? Or am I just missing something. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
rosie2417
Supporter

Re: Custom Osd   

Postby KAD » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:38 pm

rosie2417, I'm in similar boat, have just started working on osd, if you're new to linux like me, you might want to search for OSD Emulator 0.41, it will run in windows, was actually created for the orignal wdtv, so some things are a bit off, bit gives you a general idea of what your osd will look like without having to do endless reboots

to open osd.bin in windows I use a program called explore2fs , gives you access to everything in windows, you could use it to look at say psycho's mod to see how he set up moviesheets

question for you, here's where I'm stuck, I've mounted my osd.bin in kubuntu and have access to all first level xml's, but I can't enter any folder's to replace image's or manage fonts etc, any idea's

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby rosie2417 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:52 pm

The problem that I had was that when I mounted a image it would set the permission to read only. You can use the command "chmod ugo+rwx /directory/maybe sub directory "and that will change the permission to allow you to write. The problem that I am having is that most pre made osd are set to read only so one can't modify, only a stock image can be modified. My question is whether or not I am using the correct bin for my WD Live.
rosie2417
Supporter

Postby KAD » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:07 pm

here's the most recently stock live osd that I know of.

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=132&start=10#p805

you've also got a point about the read only, I'll give that a try, as for explore2fs. I know that will open psycho's mod in windows, because I've done it to look at how he set up the files and directory's etc, haven't looked into the moviesheet issue specifically, but maybe it will give you an idea about what to do

KAD
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby rosie2417 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Thanks, At least I know that I am using the right bin file. Now I just have to try to figure out why I have lost my movie sheets. Do you know if there is a certain Xlm file that gets modified for movie sheets?
rosie2417
Supporter

Postby PaulF » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:59 pm

I understand that you can change the look of screens with images and screen layout XM'Ls'. Are there ways of changing when the layouts are used. For instance, in my podcast script can I change the music player layout to a podcast layout. The episode descriptions for podcasts are very long. It appears like the "running" XMLs don't depend on the menu position(it uses the music player layout under the video menu) when playing mp3 files.
PaulF
Developer

Postby recliq » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:11 pm

rosie2417: most likely you won't find those files in the provided .bin

best way is to use SVN, but that's a task of it's own ;)
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby rosie2417 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:42 am

I am now able to use my custom Osd using the "EXT" version of B-Rad firmware but not the internal flash version. Does somone know what files I may be missing? Thanks
rosie2417
Supporter

Postby derwildemann » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:55 am

KAD wrote:here's the most recently stock live osd that I know of.

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=132&start=10#p805

you've also got a point about the read only, I'll give that a try, as for explore2fs. I know that will open psycho's mod in windows, because I've done it to look at how he set up the files and directory's etc, haven't looked into the moviesheet issue specifically, but maybe it will give you an idea about what to do

KAD

hi KAD

I found your osd guide on 'http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Creating_an_osd.bin'....

tried to dwnload the stock osd file but w/o success...

the link
http://wdlxtv.com/download/wdlxtv-live-0.4.2.0.osd.bin
takes me to a page where I need to login and the link
http://rapidshare.com/files/379310738/wdlxtv-live-0.4.2.0.osd.bin
returns: The following download is not available:
https://rapidshare.com/files/379310738/wdlxtv-live-0.4.2.0.osd.bin | 0.00 MB

in fact I'd just like to put my own USB icons, nothing else...
isn't there a way to unlock the folder
/osd/image
for write access? it would be pretty easy to just do that and replace the files
USB1.thumb
USB2.thumb
with my own...
derwildemann
DLX'er

Postby KAD » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:41 am

is there a reason, you're reviving a 2 yr old thread

as for the download, how about you login to WDLXTV.com and download the file
but actually why would you want to start with a base that old, it's probably not even compatible with the firmware you're running
there are instructions on how to get the most recent stock osd.bin in the beginners guide to creating an osd.bin

p.s. if memory serves me right, USB1.thumb and USB2.thumb are not the correct files to typically change
KAD
Global Moderator

Next

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live Theming