[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4326: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4328: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4329: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4330: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
WDTVExt disassembly 101

WDTVExt disassembly 101

Have a question about devices internals, memory layout, reverse engineering, etc---This is the place for anything so technical that it would cause a n00b's head to 'splode

WDTVExt disassembly 101   

Postby mad_ady » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:48 am

mad_ady
Developer

Re: WDTVExt disassembly 101   

Postby KAD » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:14 pm

nice bit of research

have you tried getting a hold of pibos or brad, maybe you can get a copy of the source code
might be easier than manually patching things in libext.so
If you like my work please consider a Donation.
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions!
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby mad_ady » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:32 pm

I keep begging b-rad to give me whatever source code he has for wdtvext for 1.02, but he keeps having computer problems, so no code yet.
I haven't contacted pibos yet, but I plan to next year. I'm a bit afraid that he might help us and we won't learn anything new, so I plan on trying to figure out things for myself first and learn in this process. Of course without sources or his help, disassembly won't get us too far.
I want to contact pibos again when 1.06 is in a usable state with wdtvext (I'll probably start work on it in january), so that he can help us there.

For now WDTVExt disassembly is mostly a research project.

I plan on doing the same with DMAOSD - from what I've spoken to b-rad I kind of need to, because he added a binary patch to fix the "two level icons bug" a while ago, and as far as I know WD never fixed it, so the experience gained should be valuable. Also, I want to see if I can figure out a way to disable DMAOSD's buffered output - it seems to output about one page of logs at a time, so that might be a fun experiment...

I also plan to document my findings so that others can learn (MIPS ASM isn't that cryptic - especially if you followed a course on x86-64 ASM). By the way, if anybody wants to learn/understand x86 ASM better and GDB, you should have a look at this course: https://www.coursera.org/course/hwswinterface. I found the assignments difficult, but interesting.
mad_ady
Developer

MIPS function calls   

Postby mad_ady » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:25 am

mad_ady
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:23 am

mad_ady
Developer

Postby recliq » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:43 am

Nice work! Please keep it going ;)
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (, , ) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

The final jump   

Postby mad_ady » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:53 am

mad_ady
Developer

Postby KAD » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:57 am

this is really great work
If you like my work please consider a Donation.
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions!
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby PaulF » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:17 pm

PaulF
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:17 am

I plan on contacting pibos as soon as 1.06 has been wdlxtv'ed. Right now I'm mostly on a quest to learn new things. I'm sure we'll need to do this in dmaosd as well..
mad_ady
Developer

Next

Return to WDTV Live