Anybody Successful able to compile for SMP?

Have a question about devices internals, memory layout, reverse engineering, etc---This is the place for anything so technical that it would cause a n00b's head to 'splode

Anybody Successful able to compile for SMP?   

Postby KAD » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:40 am

yeah, I know it's hard to believe I've landed here, given my limited experience

anways, I'm at work so details later.

but I wondered if anybody has successfully compiled anything for SMP

I'm particularly interested in getting busybox and some of the other basic util's updated

so a few of my test
1. extract updated version of busybox from 1.12.14_WDLXTV_PALACE-0.0.2.zip
and try it on 2.01.86-EXT3_Palace_Stock_Plus-0.0.4

I did not expect this to work, but it's an easy test, and it did not work
likely due to updated kernel in 2.01.86

so next GPL source code from WD's site has 2 versions of busybox
busybox 1.10.xx
busybox 1.10.xx primary system
I dont' know what the difference is

2. compiled busybox 1.10.xx
resolved some missing lib issues
but I still get seg fault

3. compiled busybox 1.10.xx primary system
seg fault

4. download update source code from busybox.net
cross compile using WD's tool chain
error, unexpected ')'

or something like that

anyways
initial plan was to start by building 1.10.xx from WD GPL code available
and then include more applets, the version of busybox included by WD is pretty slimmed down and is missing a lot of stuff
then once that was stable, look to update to busybox 1.22.1

anyways the final test I ran, was more of out curiosity
since the env was all set up
I tried to compile complete firmware from WD source code, just for the heck of it, to see if it would complete
sort of as expected, it does not complete, unable to find xxxxx , unable to find xxxx
so my initially guess is they left out some pieces of required code

so long post, but let the discussion begin, if anybody has idea's/suggestions
I'm certainly open to them
or if there's something you want to try
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Re: Anybody Successful able to compile for SMP?   

Postby recliq » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:23 am

Hey KAD nice to see your here.

Let's get some important question/issues cleared first.
By saying you compiled something, where did you do this?
Because you have basicaly two option to compile for WDLXTV, either on the WDTV (must be done in debian chroot, very slow)
or cross-compile on a different (linux) system.

Both isn't really for the faint hearted - you really should be able to compile natively on linux and need to know how to fix dependencies (and find them) etc...
Especially the WDTV cross-compile toolchain is a pain in the ass sometimes. b-rad started to build a cross-compile environment based on buildroot some time ago
but I guess it never got finished :/. Maybe that's afterall the most "easy" way to compile for WDLXTV, you should ask b-rad about this!

Here's busybox-1.20.1 from the buildroot i got, give it a try...

PS: I will try to update busybox to 1.22.1 and compile it on the weekend...
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby KAD » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:48 am

thanks recliq I appreciate it

yeah, still can't believe, here I am in the nitty gritty,
I know I'll tread lightly, but hey, I'm learning a lot

some other fun learning projects, cifs.ko and for android - done & bonding.ko for AC66U router - done
so yeah, slowly one step at a time of coarse android platform and merlin's work on AC66U is so much better documented, those project were relatively easy

for WD compiling I'm using a VM running ubuntu 12.04
so yeah, all of this is cross compile work, I've been testing out

it makes sense that chroot would be extremely slow, but possibly more reliable

as for build env set up
I followed Gimli's write here http://guimli.free.fr/?p=32
and of coarse I read all the WD provided documentation
what a novel idea, if only we could get noob's to read the readme, etc
gimli's write up is basically just a rehash of the WD instruction's included
with a few small adjustments for ubuntu 12.04, wd recommends ubuntu 9.10 which is EOL, so I didn't want to deal with it

again, I appreciate the feedback, I'll give that version of busybox a go tonight, and see what we got
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby KAD » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:17 pm

so busybox 1.20.1 also did not work

I copied the file to WD via ftp

Code: Select all
# mkdir /test
# cd /test
# ls
busybox
# chmod a+x ./busybox
# ./busybox
Floating point exception
#
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby recliq » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:29 am

odd... I think I have to dig up my Gen3...

KAD, can you post your firmware and kernel version?
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby KAD » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:56 am

yeah, will do once, I'm home

I was also taking a look at the debian squeeze img that b-rad posted some time ago
I think over the weekend, I'll give it a go, I'd imagine it should work fine on this device as well

which as you already, mentioned, while very slow, will be a more reliable build env
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby KAD » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:54 pm

# uname -a
Linux SMPDEV 2.6.35.9-22-sigma #11 PREEMPT Thu Dec 5 16:02:07 CST 2013 mips unknown

# cat /conf_src/version
2.01.86-EXT3_Palace_Stock_Plus-0.0.5
#
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby KAD » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:49 pm

hey success :mrgreen:

# uname -a
Linux SMPdev 2.6.35.9-22-sigma #11 PREEMPT Thu Dec 5 16:02:07 CST 2013 mips GNU/Linux
# cat /conf_src/version
2.01.86-EXT3_Palace_Stock_Plus-0.0.5
# busybox
BusyBox v1.22.1 (2014-02-12 00:33:11 UTC) multi-call binary.
BusyBox is copyrighted by many authors between 1998-2012.
Licensed under GPLv2. See source distribution for detailed
copyright notices.

Usage: busybox [function [arguments]...]
   or: busybox --list[-full]
   or: busybox --install [-s] [DIR]
   or: function [arguments]...

BusyBox is a multi-call binary that combines many common Unix
        utilities into a single executable.  Most people will create a
        link to busybox for each function they wish to use and BusyBox
        will act like whatever it was invoked as.

Currently defined functions:
        [, [[, acpid, add-shell, addgroup, adduser, adjtimex, arp, arping, ash, awk, base64, basename, beep, blkid, blockdev, bootchartd, brctl,
        bunzip2, bzcat, bzip2, cal, cat, catv, chat, chattr, chgrp, chmod, chown, chpasswd, chpst, chroot, chrt, chvt, cksum, clear, cmp, comm,
        conspy, cp, cpio, crond, crontab, cryptpw, cttyhack, cut, date, dc, dd, deallocvt, delgroup, deluser, depmod, devmem, df, dhcprelay, diff,
        dirname, dmesg, dnsd, dnsdomainname, dos2unix, du, dumpkmap, dumpleases, echo, ed, egrep, eject, env, envdir, envuidgid, ether-wake,
        expand, expr, fakeidentd, false, fbset, fbsplash, fdflush, fdformat, fdisk, fgconsole, fgrep, find, findfs, flock, fold, free, freeramdisk,
        fsck, fsck.minix, fstrim, fsync, ftpd, ftpget, ftpput, fuser, getopt, getty, grep, groups, gunzip, gzip, halt, hd, hdparm, head, hexdump,
        hostid, hostname, httpd, hush, hwclock, id, ifconfig, ifdown, ifenslave, ifplugd, ifup, inetd, init, insmod, install, ionice, iostat, ip,
        ipaddr, ipcalc, ipcrm, ipcs, iplink, iproute, iprule, iptunnel, kbd_mode, kill, killall, killall5, klogd, last, less, linux32, linux64,
        linuxrc, ln, loadfont, loadkmap, logger, login, logname, logread, losetup, lpd, lpq, lpr, ls, lsattr, lsmod, lsof, lspci, lsusb, lzcat,
        lzma, lzop, lzopcat, makedevs, makemime, man, md5sum, mdev, mesg, microcom, mkdir, mkdosfs, mke2fs, mkfifo, mkfs.ext2, mkfs.minix,
        mkfs.vfat, mknod, mkpasswd, mkswap, mktemp, modinfo, modprobe, more, mount, mountpoint, mpstat, mt, mv, nameif, nanddump, nandwrite,
        nbd-client, nc, netstat, nice, nmeter, nohup, nslookup, ntpd, od, openvt, passwd, patch, pgrep, pidof, ping, ping6, pipe_progress,
        pivot_root, pkill, pmap, popmaildir, poweroff, powertop, printenv, printf, ps, pscan, pstree, pwd, pwdx, raidautorun, rdate, rdev,
        readahead, readlink, readprofile, realpath, reboot, reformime, remove-shell, renice, reset, resize, rev, rm, rmdir, rmmod, route, rpm,
        rpm2cpio, rtcwake, run-parts, runlevel, runsv, runsvdir, rx, script, scriptreplay, sed, sendmail, seq, setarch, setconsole, setfont,
        setkeycodes, setlogcons, setserial, setsid, setuidgid, sh, sha1sum, sha256sum, sha3sum, sha512sum, showkey, slattach, sleep, smemcap,
        softlimit, sort, split, start-stop-daemon, stat, strings, stty, su, sulogin, sum, sv, svlogd, swapoff, swapon, switch_root, sync, sysctl,
        syslogd, tac, tail, tar, tcpsvd, tee, telnet, telnetd, test, tftp, tftpd, time, timeout, top, touch, tr, traceroute, traceroute6, true,
        tty, ttysize, tunctl, ubiattach, ubidetach, ubimkvol, ubirmvol, ubirsvol, ubiupdatevol, udhcpc, udhcpd, udpsvd, umount, uname, unexpand,
        uniq, unix2dos, unlzma, unlzop, unxz, unzip, uptime, users, usleep, uudecode, uuencode, vconfig, vi, vlock, volname, wall, watch, watchdog,
        wc, wget, which, who, whoami, whois, xargs, xz, xzcat, yes, zcat, zcip

#
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby recliq » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:49 am

Well done!
How did you manage to compile it? I have to admit I didn't try on the weekend... :oops:
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby KAD » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:00 am

recliq wrote:Well done!
How did you manage to compile it? I have to admit I didn't try on the weekend... :oops:

no prob, I know your busy, but some of your advice above was helpful

ended up booting b-rad's wdlxtv-palace.bin
why, because b-rad's version has chroot

and his debian-squeeze.img works just fine on this device as well
it's painfully slow, but it works.
like 45 min just to compile busybox

of coarse plenty of testing is needed.
initiall impressions, I can't boot when using this version of busybox :?
but once boot has completed, I can switch out versions of busybox and really haven't noticed any issues
netflix works, nfs works, wireless works
added bandwidth_test and that works, bandwidth_test did not work on WD's old busybox
KAD
Global Moderator

Next

Return to WDTV Live