Compiling on the WDTV ?

Have a question about devices internals, memory layout, reverse engineering, etc---This is the place for anything so technical that it would cause a n00b's head to 'splode

Re: Compiling on the WDTV ?   

Postby recliq » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:34 am

The debian squeeze image is intended to run on WDTV Live/Plus, it won't run on WDTV Gen1 (and I haven't seen a debian root bin for Gen1 yet).
Gen1 and Live/Plus are NOT binary compatible! (MIPS <-> MIPSEL) :geek:

If you still want to compile for Gen1 I think your only option is the GPL source from WD and cross-compiling.

PS: Outing yourself as a n00b in this forum section is a bit dangerous... (read the section heading!) This is the section for the ones knowing what they are doing and who can live with the potential consequences ;p
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby sparky42 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:35 am

Hi recliq ,

Thank you for the information. I started out trying to cross-compile, but when that hit a snag, I thought a live compile would be easier. Guess I better figure out the cross-compile stuff.

I was unaware when joining that ignorance was a crime. I did an Google search and found this thread. I joined the forum and then posted. Nothing in the registration process nor the confirm email, mentioned a required IQ test before posting. Any moderator can remove my two posts if they broke the undocumented rules.
sparky42
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:41 am

Don't be insulted by what recliq said. Everyone is welcome in posting and asking questions. The thing he was warning you about was - you would better have basic linux knowledge before trying to compile/cross compile and not waste everybody's time asking trivial stuff (e.g. what is telnet/ what is a shell/ why are there no exe files on my wdtv).
Since the forum marks you as a noob (because of your lack of posts), the warning is fair (we don't know your linux skills set and you said you were new to Linux).

So, please, continue to ask questions in this thread as long as they are "technical" in nature. For "easy" stuff, use google, or post in the other sections of the forum.

P.S. Ignorance is a crime! But not knowing something and wanting to learn is hardly ignorance...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby player_sct » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:33 am

any method to compile glibc 2.11? i was try but problem after problem... :(
in configure i have "checking sysdep dirs... configure: error: The mipsel is not supported."
player_sct
Beta Tester

Postby carbon007 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:35 am

Any chance of someone reuploading the img?
RS mirror is down.

Thank you
carbon007
n00b

Postby recliq » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:42 am

­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby allidea » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:47 pm

By the end of the first page of this thread b-rad wrote that missing libs can be copied from from debian-squeeze to /usr/lib. Any idea how to do that since /usr/lib is read-only?
The other method with editing /etc/ld.so.conf is not working because of glibc-2.8 glibc-2.9 inconsistency.

Thanks.
Have a problem? Visit Tweak Master's House Of Useful Tricks.
Ad 1) I tend to find a solution by myself just after I submit a new post asking others to do it for me.
Ad 2) Proud to be *nix n00b - not because I prefer m$, rather I'm trying to get better at it!
allidea
WDTVer

Postby KAD » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:49 pm

grab an ext3 version of whatever firmware you're running it will have write access
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to WDTV Live