[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4326: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4328: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4329: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4330: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Compiling on the WDTV ?

Compiling on the WDTV ?

Have a question about devices internals, memory layout, reverse engineering, etc---This is the place for anything so technical that it would cause a n00b's head to 'splode

Re: Compiling on the WDTV ?   

Postby hurra2003 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:54 pm

So, here I am. Back from testing.
I managed to download the squeeze Debian and was (after some time) running it at the WD.
I installed several packages (build-essential) into the squeeze.
I copied the source code (including the lib) of the little toppy prog in.
And I tried to "make" it.

Unfortunately I got the following msg:

# make
if [ ! -d libtopfield ]; then ln -s ../libtopfield .; fi
make -C libtopfield
make[1]: Entering directory `/ftpd-topfield-0.7.7n/libtopfield'
cc -DNEW_DEV_SCAN -I. -std=gnu99 -Wall -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O3 -g -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer -frename-registers -DUSE_LIBUSB -c -o tf_io.o tf_io.c
In file included from tf_io.c:26:
usb_io.h:30:17: error: usb.h: No such file or directory
tf_io.c: In function 'tf_send':
tf_io.c:277: warning: implicit declaration of function 'usb_bulk_write'
tf_io.c: In function 'tf_get_response':
tf_io.c:299: warning: implicit declaration of function 'usb_bulk_read'
make[1]: *** [tf_io.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/ftpd-topfield-0.7.7n/libtopfield'
make: *** [libs] Error 2

It seams as there are some issues with the USB.
Whats about the usb.h?
Some hint from your side where to look at? Is the USB accessible from the debian-squeeze?
I accessed it from a second shell on the original system - to copy files a.s.o.

Regards
hurra2003
hurra2003
n00b

Postby chameleon_skin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:24 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of compiling on the WDTV :)

Seriously, get used to it - these are *exactly* the kinds of issues you will see again and again when compiling from source (on any computer, but especially the WDTV).

Basically, you're going to need to learn about how the program "make" is used to compile software so that you can track down errors that come up. Do a google search for "make tutorial" and read up. It will be invaluable to you.

As for the particular error, let's look at it:

"usb_io.h:30:17: error: usb.h: No such file or directory"

That means that the file usb_io.h is trying to load the file usb.h on line 17 of the file, and that usb.h isn't found on your system. Normally this means there is some other package that you need that isn't installed on your computer. Again, Google is your friend. Do a google search for usb.h and you will probably find out what the missing package is. I usually put "debian" in the search just in case there is anything Debian-specific.

Give that a try and the very first result will probably get you pointed in the right direction.
chameleon_skin
Developer

Postby tsaarni » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:19 am

You'll probably have to install libusb-dev package. If I remember correctly, it contains the headers needed to compile ftpd-topfield.
tsaarni
n00b

Postby hurra2003 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:51 pm

... back from testing....

Actually the process was so far so good, but now I got another issue to solve.

I managed it to compile the source on the squeeze debian system and made an topf.app.bin with the binary in it. (altough not with the WD, but with ubuntu - does it matter?).

The issue I now face is, the following:

If I start the binary "ftpd-topfield" I get the following msg:
Line 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

As far as I have understood is this error occuring if I try to run a binary not made for the system i.e. the WD.

Some idea what to do?

Regards
Knut
hurra2003
n00b

Postby DJArty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:34 pm

WD TV Live (1.05.04-WDLXTV-0.5.1.1);
Please Donate PayPal to email: djartyua ( a t ) gmail (d o t) com
WebMoney: WMZ114867333413
DJArty
Developer

Postby hurra2003 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:17 pm

I started:

#ftpd-topfield -D -P 2021

That are parameters typical used. I can list those parameters if I use --help in the squeeze.
So it seams working fine under the debian-squeeze. Unfortunately I got no msg about status of the ftp and I could not access the toppy.

But maybe either in the squeeze the toppy is not recognised well, or the ftp connection is not working outside the squeeze as I tried to access it from outside (second shell).

I will try to ftp to localhost within the debian-squeeze. Other suggestions?

Regards
hurra2003
hurra2003
n00b

Postby hurra2003 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:55 am

Finaly I got it.
I did everything step by step again. An this time used completely the squeeze for tar/zip, compilation and cramfs image building (app.bin).
Then I had to switch the ftp-port away from 21 and I could access my files.

Thx a lot for your support and patience.

Regards
Hurra2003
hurra2003
n00b

Postby chameleon_skin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:04 pm

Awesome! My experience is that compiling and deploying my first app.bin was a real pain, but after that it got much easier; after that you kind of know what to look for.

Congrats, and hopefully you'll keep coming up with new ideas for app.bins to create.
chameleon_skin
Developer

Postby boudcallens » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:29 am

boudcallens
DLX'er

Postby sakacoco » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:20 am

sakacoco
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to WDTV Live