IPV6 support?

Have a question about devices internals, memory layout, reverse engineering, etc---This is the place for anything so technical that it would cause a n00b's head to 'splode

Re: IPV6 support?   

Postby ReMARKable » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:17 am

Version 1.4 is released.

Version 1.4 (december 2012)
- Fixed category in the webend
- Fixed problem switching off this plugin and then on again (no gui)

Version 1.3 (may 2012)
- Added default route option for static IPv6 with autoconfiguration disabled
ReMARKable
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:47 am

Hello everyone!

I uploaded ReMARKable's work to the app.bin repository: http://apps.wdlxtv.com/

I made a small change not to try to activate if the kernel doesn't support IPv6. Also, the IPv6 kernel can be downloaded from here: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Differences_between_kernels

However - I noticed a problem. If I activate the app.bin on a non-ipv6 kernel, even if the init script would quit before trying to enable ipv6, I get a lot of warnings via serial/in /tmp/messages.txt that there are unknown symbols in ipv6.ko. I guess these are generated by the app.bin loader mechanism which tries to do a depmod on all the modules... The problem is - this leaves network in an unconsistent state (interface has configuration, but the local LAN is not in the routing table), and DMAOSD hangs on startup...

Any ideas how to prevent this?
mad_ady
Developer

Postby KAD » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:13 am

move ipv6.ko to non-standard location inside app.bin so that crazymount does not try to load the module at boot

then for working kernels, use standard app.bin start script found inside app.bin at /etc/init.d/S20myscript to load ipv6.ko
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby mad_ady » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:42 am

Thanks! I was considering that... I probably need to run depmod as well... I'll give it a try
mad_ady
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:06 am

I updated the app.bin with manual module copying and loading so it wouldn't crash dmaosd on non-ipv6 kernels... Now the app gracefully exits.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby ReMARKable » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:07 am

Great job mad_ady !!!
It is good so see some one else also tested the IPv6 addon ;)
ReMARKable
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:28 pm

Yeah, it was a shame to let your app go to waste in a corner of the wiki. And the ipv6 kernel is pretty beefy...

The thing the app doesn't handle yet is assigning a fixed IP where you can set the suffix, but keep the prefix from the ISP (my isp allocates a different /64 when my router restarts), but I guess it can be added easily...

One thing I don't understand: how come there are differences in wifi dongle support? From the kernel config diff I found no relevant wifi modules missing... Can anyone explain what's the deal with the wifi modules?
mad_ady
Developer

Previous

Return to WDTV Live