How do I make an RTL8192CU Wireless Device ??

Have a question about devices internals, memory layout, reverse engineering, etc---This is the place for anything so technical that it would cause a n00b's head to 'splode

How do I make an RTL8192CU Wireless Device ??   

Postby tom55116 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:41 am

I have my Living room WDTV Gen1 Streaming using a "wireless-mod-rt3070v2.app.bin" file so I have the
general "how to get WiFi working" all figured out.

I bought an EdiMax Wifi dongle for my Bedroom WDTV Gen 1 and it uses "RTL8192CU" chipset so I need a
different driver now.

1) What is the process for making a new "wireless-mod-rt.app.bin" file that has the "RTL8192CU" driver in it?
2) I loaded Fedora onto a PC and compiled the RTL8192CU source code and and got a file named "8192.ko" Will fedora compiled objects work on the WDTV Gen 1?

What do I do now?

Thanks
Tom
tom55116
n00b

Re: How do I make an RTL8192CU Wireless Device ??   

Postby KAD » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:44 am

well this is definetely not n00b central discussion, moving to nitty gritty

I'd recommend you read some of the post on how to compile on WDTV

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby recliq » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:40 pm

That will not work!

You need to grab the GPL linux sources WD provides (for your firmware version) and need to setup a cross compiling environment. Then you have to cross-compile the wireless driver for the mips plattform.
This is not basic stuff and you have to expect some trouble the first time ;) but there are quite some tips on cross-compiling for wdtv here on the forum (most of them covering wdtv live) but it should be the same for gen1...
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby tom55116 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:13 pm

This sounds way more complicated that what I know how to do. I'm good for installing
a linux distro, editing some config files and running "make" and that's about it.

Is there a good place I can look for a wireless-app-bin that might already have the
rtl8192CU device defined inside?
tom55116
n00b

Return to WD TV HD Gen 1