firewall.app.bin

Here is the place to inquire about app.bins--Only currently available apps for sigma 8655 based wdtv's belong in this forum. requests go in 'Application Questions'

firewall.app.bin   

Postby mad_ady » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:51 am

This app.bin adds the necessary modules and binaries (iptables) to enable firewall support on the WDTV. With this you can better secure your box (add restrictions on ssh/telnet/webend/etc), or turn your WDTV into a router (with NAT). The app is still in its incipient form (started by ReMARKable), but it has the basic layout. It lacks a way to generate a config file, but that can be added (contributions anyone?).

Note: The app requires you run a kernel with NETFILTER support - the only one to have this (apart from the SMP kernel) is the experimental IPv6 kernel: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Differences_between_kernels

I will upload the app.bin to the app "store" when svn is back up.
mad_ady
Developer

Re: firewall.app.bin   

Postby MrArnie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:09 am

Thanks for your effort in getting this to work. Can I use it on my WDTV Live? Where do I download this IPv6 kernel? (Link in Wiki seems broken.)
MrArnie
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:52 am

The wiki links to the svn which is currently down. It should be up next week at the latest... Also, because of this outage I was unable to upload the app.bin, but I will let you know as soon as it's ready. However some bits are unfinished, but you should be able to try it...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby MrArnie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:17 am

Thanks for your reply. I got the #27 kernel working flawlessly on my WDTV Live now. Will wait patiently for the updated firewall package to be released. Could you let me know in this thread when it's ready for testing? I might add some features too if I find the time for it.
MrArnie
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:06 am

It's been uploaded today. It should be visible in Addon Manager -> app.bins.

Note: it's not polished, you'll need to play with it for while. Patches welcome :D
mad_ady
Developer

Postby ReMARKable » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:14 am

If this is the iptables.app.bin I have created and no one finished this, then this app.bin will only place the right kernel modules to the right place. There is probably not even a gui implementation or what so ever.

Good luck with it, and I agree with mad_ady that if you ever improve the code, please share these improvements.
ReMARKable
Beta Tester

Postby MrArnie » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:05 am

Thanks for the heads up, I hope to find some time to play with it today. To be honest I won't be making a GUI, I have no problem setting iptables from the commandline.
MrArnie
n00b

Postby resetter » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:54 am

Hi, where can I get the firewall.app.bin, it does not show up in my apps/plugins config. ?
resetter
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:28 pm

It should be visible if you're using a Live/Plus.
Otherwise try this: http://apps.wdlxtv.de/apps/firewall/firewall.app.bin
mad_ady
Developer

Return to WDLXTV-G2 & WDLXTV-Live/Plus app.bins